It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:16 pm 

My feeling is that, rather than being wary that 'curiosity killed the cat', I should be trying things out that are there -- just as I would as a player on Live.

For the test described at the start of this thread, we created new, 'disposable' avies.

The avie for which I was trying to get a fresh Ahnonay was one whose Ahn was broken in Build 7 -- and not many of us could share Ahn at that time. I couldn't use it to test Ahn in Build 8 because of the problem with books not being deleted properly.

The method described in my previous post for getting a fresh Ahnonay seems to have worked so far. I'll see how far it goes later this evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:22 pm 

Morgon wrote:

The life form detection in Ahnonay is still a bit buggy and sometimes sectors are flagged as occupied even if there is no living in the current sphere.

A "bit buggy" seems an understatement. I find that it is so buggy that at least half the time I need to totally quit the program and restart it to get sphere #1 into a state where it will rotate. There seems to be either one or 2 randomly generated lifeforms which show up on the detector but which are never actually locatable. The position indicated would suggest that the island tower is the general area (at least most of the time) but there is never a thing to be found. But quit and restart and then things are fine -- until the next time you try to rotate when the randomness takes over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Bodger wrote:
Morgon wrote:

The life form detection in Ahnonay is still a bit buggy and sometimes sectors are flagged as occupied even if there is no living in the current sphere.

I find that it is so buggy that at least half the time I need to totally quit the program and restart it to get sphere #1 into a state where it will rotate. There seems to be either one or 2 randomly generated lifeforms which show up on the detector but which are never actually locatable. The position indicated would suggest that the island tower is the general area (at least most of the time) but there is never a thing to be found. But quit and restart and then things are fine -- until the next time you try to rotate when the randomness takes over again.

When I have this problem I walk slowly from one end of the age to the other. That fixes the wrong states for me nearly all of the time.

The wrong detections seem to be a timing problem as it happens most of the time when running from the link in point to the book. In that case sometimes a sector is not set back to unoccupied after you left it and entered the next one. Not running leaves more time for that.

So if you have the problem and are sure that there are no life forms on the island there are really none but the sector occupation flags got disturbed by running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:05 am 

for my brand new test avi for this build i have only one sparklie o the island and it is making the pretty little stars rising up .....

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Getting back on subject... Be aware that there are 2 known conditions that can give you multiple Ahnonay instances.

1. The sharing experiments described previously.

2. Accepting an invite to another person's Ahnonay before acquiring your own Ahnonay book. I will refer to the other person as player 2.

When you link from player 2's Cathedral to Ahnonay you will get an Ahnonay book on your shelf. This book links to the Ahnonay of player 2! You now both share the same age instance from Relto.

The Cathedral book on your shelf however links to your own Cathedral. From there you will link to your own Ahnonay (edit October 16).

Your Ahnonay nexus links both link to your own Cathedral and Ahnonay.

While this may seem fun at first (at least to those of us who are multiplayer inclined) it unfortunately makes the pellet cave puzzle unsolvable. The code you get in the lower cave belongs to player 2. And there is no way to go to your lower cave to retrieve your own code.

The cause of this bug is the use of the Original Book linking rule which puts the used linking book on your shelf if it isn't there already. See my topic about linking rules in the public forums.
Obviously in your own Cathedral you must receive this book but when visiting player 2's Cathedral you should just link.
The fix is simple. Add a check to see if the player is in his/her own Cathedral and adjust the linking rule accordingly.

Edit: Message by MDogherra on Fri, 12th Oct 2007 6:22 am
Quote:
Hey Ron,

This one should be resolved with today's update!

Edit October 16: Multiple instance bug resolved, but you still get the Ahnonay cathedral book on your shelf from a visit to somebody else's age. At least the book is your own (same bug happens with Er'cana).

Last edited by D'Lanor on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Morgon wrote:

A theory concerning this is that all the bogus life forms are actually us. As we move around the island, we are detected in a new cell but the game occasionally misses our departure from the adjacent cell. This effect seems much worse for those of us with satellite connections. Walking very slowly seemed to solve the problem temporarily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 pm 

I have sent invitations to two different avatars, and each ended up in another Ahnonay instance. Neither of the linking problems you discussed above D'Lan seem to apply, except that this avatar had to delete her book from Build 8. Do I assume that by getting a new book from the pub that some bit of the old remains somewhere in the vault? That is, causing the instancing of Ahnonay from a nexus link?

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Katva wrote:
I have sent invitations to two different avatars, and each ended up in another Ahnonay instance. Neither of the linking problems you discussed above D'Lan seem to apply, except that this avatar had to delete her book from Build 8. Do I assume that by getting a new book from the pub that some bit of the old remains somewhere in the vault? That is, causing the instancing of Ahnonay from a nexus link?

Kate

This was a brand new avi. I am talking about an avatar that has never gone to the pub to pick up his Cathedral book. The first Ahnonay he went to was someone else's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

I submitted a ticket regarding other problems with the Cathedral.
Response noted the share page is being removed.

I guess to solve the thing we'll need to use the Relto book for the age itself.

(Edited to make the whole post way more concise. Hard to believe I communicate for a living.)

Last edited by Teknobubba on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Teknobubba wrote:
I guess to solve the thing we'll need to use the Relto book for the age itself.

No, you won't.. the share page is being removed because it is redundant. The book in the cathedral already directs all links to the corresponding ahnonay.

The share page does something else in that situation, and I'm not entirely sure what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:21 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Nadnerb wrote:
The share page does something else in that situation, and I'm not entirely sure what.

Perhaps it sends the sharee to the public Ahnonay. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:49 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
Nadnerb wrote:

I think it sends them to the sharer's Ahnonay. ("[player name]'s Ahnonay" instead of "Ahnonay")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Herohtar wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
Nadnerb wrote:

I think it sends them to the sharer's Ahnonay. ("[player name]'s Ahnonay" instead of "Ahnonay")

Hmm, wouldn't that mess up the age entries for that player a bit? Could be a Bad Thing™

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I could walk through the quabs, and the darned things would turn an attack every now and then. Don't remember that from TPOTS.

That seems to be by design now.
Got that as an answer on a ticket that I has to get rid of the quabs all over again if I did not enter a Sphere 1 instance for a few days:

Quote:
Yes indeed, the quabs are intended to respawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:07 am 
Obduction Backer

The multiple instance bug seems to be fixed now. At least I did not experience new cases. The multiple instances from the previous build are still there until you delete "your" Ahnonay books. And don't worry, deleting the books on your shelf does not delete them for the legitimate owner whose age they linked to.

Unfortunately it can be hard to tell if you have leftover multiple instances from the previous build. You could still be doing the Ahnonay age belonging to someone who invited you without knowing it (apart from the inconsistencies you find along the way).
The owner name prefix in the KI would have made it so much easier to detect this bug. Now you will only notice it when you get to the final pellet cave because that age does have a name prefix.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2