It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Today, I invited UruBoo to my Ahnonay (via Cathedral) twice to rotate the spheres while I was in some other sphere. Both times, the spheres did not rotate as expected until I linked out to Relto and returned to Ahnonay while UruBoo was staying there. From this (limited) evidence, my suspicion is that, with several people in the age, linking to the Cathedral only makes the spheres rotate when the person who links is the one who arrived in the age first.

[spoiler=Click to reveal what we did in more detail.]
  1. I was in sphere 1, while UruBoo arrived in the active sphere 2 through the cathedral. I was swimming in the lagoon, the radar was clear, but when UruBoo linked through to the cathedral, the spheres did not rotate (neither of us heard a sound, and UruBoo arrived back in sphere 2 from the Cathedral). We tried this again a few times, confirming that neither of us had any stuck lights on the radar, last time with me in the maintenance area instead of the lagoon, but without success. I then linked to Relto and back to sphere 1 through the journey bookmark, while UruBoo waited in sphere 2. When he linked to the Cathedral after that while I was swimming in the lagoon, the spheres did turn and we both heard the rotation sound.
  2. I was in the maintenance area of sphere 2, while UruBoo arrived in the active sphere 4 through the Cathedral. He tried to rotate the spheres by linking to the Cathedral, but we didn't hear any sound. I instructed him to stay in the Cathedral while I linked to Relto. With me in Relto, he linked back to sphere 4. When he was there, I linked back to maintenance area 2 through the bookmark. He linked to the Cathedral and the spheres rotated.
[/spoiler]
Has anyone else observed this?

(Another oddity: at some point during 1., I could run around on the island in sphere 1 without the radar detecting me. All lights were off. Even jumping into the water and climbing out again didn't bring them back.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:17 pm 

Yes i experienced something similar. I was standing in the engineer room looking off the balcony. Where the another avatar linked from 4 to 1 the spheres rotated. I was still standing on the engineer room blacony, had the other avatar try to rotate from sphere 1 to 2, but nothing happened. In fact there was not any blue lights on the locator in sphere 1, even though an avater was there. I linked to relto, to sphere 1 and voila 2 lights appeared on the locator when I linked in. Now I linked back to Relto, to the engineer room, looked off the balcony and watched as the spheres rotated from 1 to 2 when the other avater linked through the cathedral. Going from sphere 2 to 3 we had the same problem. I again hade to leave the engineer room, link into the sphere 2 to set the locator lights straight and then link back to the engineer room so i could see the rotation of spehre 2 to 3. Again the same process happened from sphere 3 to 1. I noticed they still havent fixed the problem for not skipping a sphere when going from 3 to 1 still a 1 sphere clockwise turn. I have ticketed all this.

I don't know if it so much being the last person that linked in, but it seems the age owner now needs to make an appearance in the sphere in order for a multiplayer rotation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, today Tomahnaguy and I did just the opposite and it worked. I went ahead to My Ahnonay to clear quabs and he arrived a few minutes later. I jumped in the water and he linked/rotated and everything worked normally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

So...if we were to get, say, 40 of us in the water and one ran the island and linked out by way of the pedestal, what would happen from the point of view of the 40?

Come to think of it, why not just have a Sphere One Swim Party and Quab Feed? Let's see how many can mess around in the sphere before it kinda goes wonky. Music, anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
So...if we were to get, say, 40 of us in the water and one ran the island and linked out by way of the pedestal, what would happen from the point of view of the 40?
Nothing immediately visible since you've not left the age. The change would be apparent if you went away and came back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

OK, but I still think we oughta cram a load of us in the sphere to see what happens as far as lag, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
Nothing immediately visible since you've not left the age. The change would be apparent if you went away and came back.

Also
[spoiler]The other effect would be to change the result of touching a cloth. Cloths remember a particular spot in the current sphere position, not related to the sphere they are in at the moment they are touched. In the case described, all 40 people would have rotated to position 4 while still inside sphere 1. At the same time sphere 4 would have moved to position 3 and so forth. Therefore, touching any cloth in the water sphere (Sphere 1) would result in the cloth link being moved to sphere position 4 (Not sphere 4). If after touching a cloth in sphere 1, any of those 40 people were to pull the door handle, which always rotates that sphere to position 1, sphere 4 would also rotate back to position 4. And so, reltoing out and returning via cloth gets one to sphere 4 in position 4.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, I agree that the above post is completely unintelligible. But I had fun doing it. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorahmin wrote:
Well, today Tomahnaguy and I did just the opposite and it worked. I went ahead to My Ahnonay to clear quabs and he arrived a few minutes later. I jumped in the water and he linked/rotated and everything worked normally.

Right - I've now observed this as well, together with Jaca'Ra. We also had some occurrences of inhibited rotation, though.

Here's my new hypothesis, which as far as I can tell is consistent with all observations posted here: Rotation works as expected, independent of arrival order, if all people are in the same sphere. If people are present in other spheres (or the hub/vogondola/workshop area) at the time the would-be rotator arrives in the sphere where he's going to use the Cathedral book, the rotation will be inhibited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is definately a new kind of behavior compared to the previous build. But the question is: is this how it is intended? This does not really make sense to me. I preferred it the way it was before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm considering this a bug too. Haven't had a reply to my ticket so far.

Here's what the Python log says - looks confused to me:
Code:
(10/22 21:42:27) ahnyPressurePlates:Book: hit linking panel 100
(10/22 21:42:27) (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
(10/22 21:42:27) ahnyPressurePlates: book zone still occupied
(10/22 21:42:27) Sphere staying put

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 pm 

Last night a group (I think about 4 or 5) of us were testing the rotation stuff and we had no problems with it. Not saying it doesn't exist, just it's intermittent. The radar was also working perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:21 pm 

Sudre, I was with you and yes, there were no problems. Then, last evening, Mari and I tried something similar: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13222

All we were trying to do was have one person in the Kadish Observation Office to view the rotations of each sphere. The 1st rotation worked. The rest, nothing. All I did was similar to what we did the other night. Link to the cathedral and back to each Ahnonay. The only problem was it worked once... I think there is still something wrong... bug or not.

Ki#00241353

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

One thing I remember that broke just about everything rotation related was when Katva (as Avtak) linked in and did not appear on our age lists. Nothing would work until we all relinked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sudre wrote:
Last night a group (I think about 4 or 5) of us were testing the rotation stuff and we had no problems with it. Not saying it doesn't exist, just it's intermittent. The radar was also working perfectly.

So, just to be sure that I'm understanding you correctly, what you observed contradicted my latest hypothesis? In which case, do you have a better theory?

By the way, my ticket reply has arrived, and it was
ResEng wrote:
I will get this to the tech team and see if they can make some changes to get that rotation working better.

I really hope they already fixed this (and some of the other Ahnonay bugs) in the update that went out to Live yesterday... I was kinda hoping for another Rehearsal update before the release.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]