It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Exploitation by Visitors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:12 pm 

OK, :oops: I don't know all the details, or how it's done exactly, but more and more greeters are reporting hearing this. That some Non-greeters have found a way to take Visitors to the ages in a clear exploitation of some sort of glitch or something left undone.
After completing the Cleft age, the visitor gets but can not use the 4 age books in the pillars. Fine, no problem. But if they can get an explorer to click on that book and then Share it, the visitor is transported or is able to go to that age. I don't know if that is all that is involved or if there is additional steps,etc. or even if I am describing it correctly. But it is happening and is becoming more flagrant and open. Please, someone check this out and put a stop to it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Book sharing used to be blocked for visitors. Since Cyan won't let us play as visitors on Rehearsal there is no way we could ever find regression bugs in the visitor system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:33 pm 

D'Lanor wrote:
Since Cyan won't let us play as visitors on Rehearsal there is no way we could ever find regression bugs in the visitor system.

Hm? Can't you just go and create a visitor from the main screen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:52 am 

Well you can make a phony Gametap account and test it on live. :?

The login screen sort of assumes that you want the full deal since you're paying for it. Personally I think it's very kind of it to do that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Junee wrote:
Well you can make a phony Gametap account and test it on live. :?

Nope again. I had one of those but it now gives an "internal error" when I log in. And when I try to create a new TapID I always get the "Our services are unavailable, please try later" message. Looks like GameTap still hasn't got this international thing sorted out. /shrug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:16 am 

I tried too and got that, then I changed the email and it worked. :)

Wow.. you feel rejected as a visitor..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Junee wrote:
I tried too and got that, then I changed the email and it worked. :)

Oh right. Thanks. Apparently it does not accept hotmail.com email addresses. Shouldn't that be mentioned somewhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:28 am 

I don't know, my regular is a hotmail too but I thought it was rejected because it's already registered or something.

Wow, I can't even change the eyecolour. I feel spoiled :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:30 am 
Obduction Backer

I didn't know that you could set up a tap id if you had one already - and we all do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
I didn't know that you could set up a tap id if you had one already - and we all do.

Only if you use a different email address. Hence the hotmail. And I now used gmail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:08 am 

Okay, I've poked around a bit as a visitor now. I don't think they used invites because the private tab in the nexus is blocked. So is every single book you want to use.

My theory right now is that when the visitor shares an age book with an explorer that creates a node (?) in the vault for the visitor. You can then access the age through the nexus from the personal links tab which isn't blocked. At least that's the most probable thing I can think of.

NOTE: This is just a theory. I haven't tested it yet since I would need a second person to link for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:30 am 
Obduction Backer

Junee wrote:
NOTE: This is just a theory. I haven't tested it yet since I would need a second person to link for me.

The personal ages in Nexus were blocked as well. I have tested this extensively in the past with my previous (now broken) visitor account. Of course there has been a major messing around there to make the pellet caves work.

I am online now with my new visitor avi. I can switch to the regular avi to help you test. My Live KI# is in my sig.

I better not use the freeloader avi anyway since I used /sendinvite and people may wonder how I wound up in the TMP hood (well, someone had to test it, right?). My hood book still takes me to GoG though... bug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:13 pm 

The hood book always takes you to GoG, not just the first time. The only way a Visitor can get to their assigned DRC hood is to use the entry at the top of the nexus display.

As I understand the exploit - which is known to Cyan - it works this way as told to me quite awhile ago by a Visitor. I haven't tried it.

If an Explorer uses the Cleft book in a Visitor's single pillar and completes the journey through the cleft, the books in the 4 pillars are usable by the Visitor. If a Visitor completes the Cleft journey clicking on the 4 books brings up an invitation to upgrade to a full, paying account. The visitor who told us about it didn't mention having to share books or go through Nexus.

I submitted a ticket about this probably 6 weels ago and received the reply that it was a known bug that was being ignored (?for the moment).

And as others have said you can create a Visitor account at GameTap by using a different email address. I did that to be able to get information for the Beginner's Guide at the GoG website. Of course now I am being invited, repeatedly, to upgrade my account. At the time I created it in September I received a message that it would expire on December 31, 2007. I wonder if they expire quarterly or something like that.

Lial

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lial wrote:
If an Explorer uses the Cleft book in a Visitor's single pillar and completes the journey through the cleft, the books in the 4 pillars are usable by the Visitor.

But wouldn't Explorers go to their own Cleft? (which would be completed already) I thought "this place is not meant to be shared"?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next