It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:22 am 
Obduction Backer

There's been an almost inperceptible flicker now and then in Ahnonay that's been catching my eye, and by stopping and staring i've found that it's the leaves on the trees in sphere one ...

... can anyone let me know if you are seeing this too, cos support says they are not.

just link in to sphere , turn around and stare at the leaves on the nearest tree ...

... for me the leaves briefly vanish after about 30 seconds, then they seem to do it every 60 seconds after that.

it happens for all the leaves across the island i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:43 am 
Obduction Backer

It is a problem I have with several objects. The most annoying of these is the Er'cana water which is off by default and only flashes up briefly. I did not see it in the Ahnonay trees though.
My errors are related to my medieval FX5600 videocard which won't work with the latest drivers that support wants me to use. This is understandable since it is not feasibly for Cyan to fix problems for any old driver version.

So I am wondering which videocard you have and if your drivers are up to date?

Post subject: video card
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:06 am 
Obduction Backer

it's an nVidia 8800 GTS with 320Mb ... i'm using the latest Beta drivers on Vista.

from bits i've read i think the 640Mb version of the card is generally happier, so maybe it's something to do with being the slightly lesser version - they did have to release drivers that fixed some kind of memory leak specific to the 320Mb version a while ago i think.

but it being a round number like 30 seconds and then 60, sounds to me that it might be something more like a missing or skipped frame in whatever animation there is involved ... unless it is just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:40 am 

You still might want to check that you have the latest Drivers

Latest Drivers

Vista------32bit------169.02
Vista------64bit------169.02
XP---------64bit------169.02
XP---------32bit------169.02
2K---------32bit------169.02

If you have a Laptop no longer supported by the Manufacturer go toLaptop To Go Dot Com

Last edited by Ravin on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: video card
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Gareth wrote:
it's an nVidia 8800 GTS with 320Mb ... i'm using the latest Beta drivers on Vista.

Testing a Beta with a Beta? Hmm, too many unknown variables to my taste.

Post subject: flashing tree
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:43 am 
Obduction Backer

i've just unplugged my hard drive with Rehearsal on it and loaded it up on my wife's PC which is running XP, with an nVidia 6200 with 256Mb ...

... went straight in with just the default graphics settings (first time i've plugged it in to this PC), and i'm seeing exactly the same thing.

it doesn't look like a graphics driver issue to me, because it doesn't happen just at certain points when i'm moving ... it's happening even when i'm dead still and everything else is fine ...

... someone just try this for me? - link in to sphere 1, turn around and stare at the leaves on the first tree ...

after 30 seconds it blinks out and back again (very fast) - then i think every 60 seconds it does it.

it's not very noticable - it's so fast that i didn't even know where to start looking for it at first - it had been more like a vague subliminal annoyance - blink and you might miss it.

it's not a big deal in itself i guess - but maybe it's a sign of some underlying cycle with a glitch in it that might somehow cause other problems ... i dunno, but it's happening reliably for me on 2 very different PCs now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:56 am 

Above I posted the New Nvidea driver Links

Be Warned about 169.02

Powermizer still not working properly just as in all drivers after 165.01 (no surprise)
So this means the clocks are locked in 3D low power mode.

So Far these are the most Stable

nVIDIA ForceWare X 163.67 for Windows Vista 32bit
nVIDIA ForceWare X 156.55 for Windows Vista 64bit
nVIDIA ForceWare X 163.75 for Windows XP/2K 32bit
nVIDIA ForceWare X 162.62 for Windows XP/2K 32bit
nVIDIA ForceWare X 162.62 for Windows XP 64bit

Post subject: Re: flashing tree
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gareth wrote:
... someone just try this for me? - link in to sphere 1, turn around and stare at the leaves on the first tree ...

You are right. I just saw it. It is hardly noticible unless one is studying the textures (which are beautiful and worth a long look).

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks D'Lanor :) at least i know i'm not losing my mind! hehe

it is not very obvious at all, but i was kind of subliminally sensing it and just feeling that something was bugging me ... i thought i was seeing 'black' blobs in the corner of my eyes from time to time at one point - that's when i decided i should stop and really look ... to reassure myself that my eyes weren't bugging out :)

i vaguely remember even seeing it in POTS, tho i can't really remember - so i was surprised that they said they'd never seen it ...

... i'll reopen my ticket and insist that they go stop and stare :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have a FX5500 running on a slow (1.7GHz P4) machine, and I see the tree textures flicker too. I also have the missing/flickering water problem in Ercana. I'm using the 81.98 nVidia driver. Earlier versions cause all sorts of textures to flicker or go missing.

These only happen when I've got the graphics quality off the lowest notch. I have ticketed many of these kinds of graphics glitches but the only response/advice from support is "upgrade your driver, see if that helps."

It doesn't. I've tested a bunch of driver versions.

I had been using 93.71 (which still didn't fix the Er'cana water problem) until I recently got a new 16:10 LCD flat-panel display. When I hook it up via the DVI interface, the 93.71 (and 163.71) driver introduces a glitch where the first row of pixels flash white every few seconds.

So I'm sticking with 81.98 for my FX5500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I have ticketed many of these kinds of graphics glitches but the only response/advice from support is "upgrade your driver, see if that helps."
That's wrong for old nvidia cards, as people may remember from URU ABM.
Can you try 77.77? Yes, that old. It's 5700 and later that will take the newest drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the hint, RR. I was vaguely aware of the 80-series problems for UU/ABM/POTS and in fact have been sticking with 77.77 for a long time, up to the Er'cana water problem.

At that point, support insisted I verify with the 93.71 driver (the latest for the 5500 at the time) and the Ercana problem didn't go away. I left the driver installed, since it was the latest and didn't seem to be causing problems.

When I got my new display I ran into the problem where the pixels on row-0 flash white. I could not get that to go away even after messing around with various settings, so I reverted to 77.77, but then lots of textures in Kadish's office in Ahnonay went missing.

So I tried about a half-dozen driver versions and the latest one that seems to cause the fewest problems is 81.98. (163.71 is the first of the vista-compatible series that includes support for the 5500. It seems work identically to 93.71.)

So far I haven't seen any of the kinds of problems that I seem to recall were associated with the 80-series driver ("snowy" clefts/relto, etc.). I haven't done a complete run-through of the old ages with the 81.98 driver though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Could this be the animation looping from the end, back to the beginning? I've seen that happen with the water by the docks, and the clouds in Relto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

That would be odd, because these leaves don't move.

Post subject: Re: flashing tree
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gareth wrote:
... someone just try this for me?

You're right, I see this too. I had never noticed it before, but it's quite obvious once you look for it - especially the recurrence every 60 seconds. MacBook Pro with ATI X1600, Mac OS X 10.4.10. All graphics settings at maximum.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next