It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:23 am 

We downloaded URU Live last Friday evening (Dec. 15th). When it came to the part in the install that installed PhysX drivers everything appeared to load normally except that after it reported a successfull install, a box popped up saying it wasn't installed or an older version was installed. It then proceeded to uninstall PhysX. We then got the same message box and the install ran again. This is a never ending circle. We called the GameTap customer support number and was walked through installing PhysX drivers from the Ageia web site. This did not help. We also opened a ticket on the URU Live web site and have received no response. Can anybody help us to get things rolling? We REALLY want to play the game, but can't get it started!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:01 am 

Open the control center and go the software. Make sure all versions of Ageia PhysX are uninstalled before you start the game. You might try to download and install the latest version from http://www.ageia.com/drivers/drivers.html. Contact Ageia if your problem persists. Cyan and Gametap are unable to help you. It's Ageia's fault.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:10 am 

Cyan is aware of this issue and say its an Ageia PhysX installer issue and the prob is not at Cyans end. Ageia is supposedly looking in to as I submitted a bug to them directly. I am not aware if Cyan has done the same. Getting updates from anyone in either camp is hard to come by. All we know is that someone is supposedly looking in to it. Cross your fingers.

You are not alone and this issue is known and has been around for at least 3 months or more. It has hit a percentage of users. There are many of us who are in the same boat. I have had this issue for the last 2 months and have not been able to get in since update 8 in the closed beta testing. Others have been left out much longer than myself.

All I can say is if you really want to play URU, wait and hope that a fix is forthcoming. You might be waiting a while but.....good things come to those who wait. Well, that is the hope.

If you have the luxury of owning another computer try it out on it and see if it works. Sorry there is not much more to help you with.

Point is you should not have to hack around on your computer or reinstall in various different ways just to get it to work. So hold on and keep your eyes in the forums.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:50 am 
Obduction Backer

If you know someone else who has Uru and PhysX installed successfully, or you can install PhysX on a second machine (I'm not going to offer to make the files available because there may technically be a copyright issue associated with doing it this way, even though the end result is the same as a successful install), one way to take care of this problem is a "manual" install.

Disclaimer: If you aren't familiar with things like regedit, you might not want to try this. Don't blame me if you hose up your computer! ;)

1. Copy all of the PhysX installed files from the successful install into the corresponding spot on the destination machine (i.e., c:\program files\ageia technologies\ ).
2. Run regedit (start->run->type "regedit" in box) and do a search (ctrl+f) for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AGEIA Technologies. Once that key is highlighted, go to File->Export, and save the file somewhere convenient.
3. Copy that file to the destination machine, right click it, and pick "Merge". Answer yes to the prompt.
4. Congratulations, PhysX has been installed manually.

Note that you won't be able to uninstall PhysX through the control panel (though you can delete the registry keys and software if you really need to). It is possible that future versions of Uru, or future games that also use PhysX, won't work using this process.

This process works (amazingly enough) on Win2k. If you can get access to the PhysX installation files, you can transfer them from a WinXP machine to a Win2k machine. The PhysX installer crashes on my Win2k installation, but the API itself apparently works fine (Uru runs, no unusual crashes, no complaints). Of course, you won't be able to run the Uru client via GameTap on a Win2k machine, because it will refuse to install Uru on a non-WinXP machine.

Good luck! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Good suggestion, but different problem. This is not about the Win2K issue which has been solved in the latest PhysX installer that you can download from the AGEIA site.

The PhysX install loop has been identified as a problem ocurring on older AMD Athlon machines (but may also occur on other older PC's). The installation btw works fine but PhysX simply does not initialize on those machines. This will be falsely reported by Uru as "not installed or wrong version".

You'll know that you have this problem when the AGEIA boxes demo fails to run and crashes with a message like "this program has caused an error and needs to be closed".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:07 pm 

In a last minute, valiant effort to close out as many tickets as possible, I received this response from Cyan a couple of days ago:

"Sorry for the long response time.
Thank you for submitting this ticket. In the past month we have made a lot of improvements that we believe may have corrected this issue. We are going to close this ticket at this time. If, however, you are still able to reproduce this specific bug on the current build, then please reopen this ticket and make certain you've attached the current logs / screenshots and please add any new information that may apply. Thanks again for submitting this ticket."

Guess what dudes?
It still doesn't work.
Back to the drawing board I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:32 pm 

Yes, I tried getting in and I got the same issue. Not sure why they said they corrected it...GD corrected me that it was a Ageia issue and that they could not duplicate the prob at Cyan (paraphrasing). So how would they be able to fix what they cannot duplicate and test?

I closed all my tickets recently because I was not getting any responses and most of which were bugs when I could get in. I might resubmit this bug again. I have giving up on Cyan solving it even though they said it was not something they could fix in the first place.

Which is not say I will not keep my eyes and ears open here. Ageia has not responded back since the last email they sent me wayyyyy back about looking in to it and not being aware URU was using the PhysX engine. I think they should be aware by now. Hopefully Cyan contacted them.

I do not think Xmas is coming early to us on this issue, but I guessed it would not happen until sometime in the new year. I think by the time this issue will be resolved I will have a new computer by then. So it would be mute issue for me....maybe....hopefully.

Have to admit....I am not missing URU that much since most of my friends no longer use it to chat....but I sure would like the option of getting in their when it launches since I am a Gametap member.

Anyway, keep watching the forums and see what the Developer updates contain.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:42 pm 

I would also like to point out that I had a machine that gave me the same problem with the enternal loop installing the PhysicX engine. I figured I would see if it was the CPU or mother board which most ppl already figured out it was. I went out and bought a slightly better board and an Athlon 3000 CPU. The game now runs great on the machine with all the same hardware except new MOBO and CPU.

I am not saying it's not a bug. Be sure to ticket the issue. It has something to do with the older athlon chip and PhysicX. There is no amount of registry coping or whatever that will fix it. The PhysicX engine makes some kinda call to the CPU that is not supported on the older Athlon chips. Currently the only fix on your end is to see if a new CPU will work on your current mother board. You may also need to make a Bios update.

As a note. SIS onboard video does not work with gameTAP. Glad I had a Video card from the old machine. GameTAP knows about the issue and is working to fix it. SIS onboard video does work with URU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:01 am 

Well, for me I am not about to buy a new chipset just for URU to solve the issue, because the issue would still exist. Its not worth it just for that.

Cyan-Gametap may make the decision to increase their minimum specs for URU if a solution is not forthcoming. The laws of evolution. But in that respects we will have to wait as to any news from Ageia or possibly via Cyan.

I personally however will be building/buying a new system for the graphic work I do in the new year and if I am at that time still interested in getting into URU it might be smooth sailing for me by then.

But URU is just a game for me, a pretty one at that. So either way does not matter to me anymore, but it would be nice to meet friends and my girlfriend on there for a few laughs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:08 pm 

Sudre wrote:
The PhysicX engine makes some kinda call to the CPU that is not supported on the older Athlon chips. Currently the only fix on your end is to see if a new CPU will work on your current mother board. You may also need to make a Bios update.

Well, since the PhysX engine worked fine with my machine until they went to version 2.6.0., in Uru's Update 8, it should be relatively easy for Ageia to compare 2.6.0. to 2.5.1. (which worked fine) and find out what the difference is and fix it already. They obviously don't care.
I have the latest BIOS update for my machine and there is no CPU upgrade available for my mobo. I cannot afford a whole new one, and I am prepaid for GameTap for the next year. This is grossly unfair. I showed my support for the game and now have no one to depend on to help me get back into it. This is a terrible way to feel but I've been locked out for so long that my frustration level is off the charts. Actually I should stay away from the forums but there's no other way to see if a fix has arrived. I'm really sick of reading about all the great new stuff I'm missing and about how happy people are. The Ageia grinch has stolen my holiday spirit this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:11 pm 

LaReh...nothing more can be said after what you just posted. Its been said many times in different ways.

But folks its the holidays so URU should be put on the backburner for all of us until the New Year has come and gone. I am an enthusiast for the Myst Worlds....not a fanatic so I can live without it myself until the day probs are solved.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

LaReh wrote:
Sudre wrote:
The PhysicX engine makes some kinda call to the CPU that is not supported on the older Athlon chips. Currently the only fix on your end is to see if a new CPU will work on your current mother board. You may also need to make a Bios update.

Well, since the PhysX engine worked fine with my machine until they went to version 2.6.0., in Uru's Update 8, it should be relatively easy for Ageia to compare 2.6.0. to 2.5.1. (which worked fine) and find out what the difference is and fix it already. They obviously don't care.

In all seriousness, there is very little that Cyan can do about problems stemming from something they didn't develop. Cyan has no access to the PhysX source code, all they have is an SDK telling them how to make the necessary calls to the necessary parts of the PhysX engine. What PhysX does is completely under the hood and non-transparent to Cyan; there's little that can be done to troubleshoot its interaction on the hardware level. The ball is firmly in Ageia's court now. I'm waiting for a response to an email I sent today to Ageia's Developer Relations address... if I get a response out of them, I'll pass it on ASAP. Better yet, if Developer Relations forwards me to another address, I'll be more than happy to pass it and the content of the email I sent along to this thread so we can start a letter-writing campaign.

(Efforts to call the corporate HQ's front desk have so far been thwarted by my crappy cell phone, which the receptionist seems to be unable to hear me through :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:34 am 

Hotfixes and updates....still waiting for word on PhysX loop. Back to playing Star Wars Lego :)....getting more fun out it than URU right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:42 pm 

After checking in to see the latest posts and thought I'd just clarify that in my last post when I said, "They obviously don't care", the THEY I was referring to was Ageia, and I stand by that statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

LaReh wrote:
After checking in to see the latest posts and thought I'd just clarify that in my last post when I said, "They obviously don't care", the THEY I was referring to was Ageia, and I stand by that statement.

They what? How do you know? Your only 'proof' that they don't care is that they haven't fixed your issue yet. That's not proof at all. It's MUCH more likely that they simply haven't managed to figure out why this is happening and how they can fix it.

I'm a software developer and fixing odd problems is not like taking your car to the mechanic. He has a book that tells him everything about that car and what could be wrong with it. That kind of book doesn't exist for every computer in existance for 2 reasons:

1) There are FAR too many combinations of hardware to write a book for each.
2) Hardware manufacturers have been getting away with nearly NO information in their manuals for YEARS.

And I think Ageia DOES care. You know why? They are struggling VERY hard to get a toehold on a market that doesn't seem to think they need to exist. They are the first and only hardware-based physics engine, and they are very very expensive. There are quite a few software and GPU-based phsyics engines existing and coming to market soon. They NEED to grab as much market as they can before someone comes along that is better.

As an analogy, Microsoft. After they released Windows 3.0/3.1, OS/2 was on the market and BETTER. Good marketing and salesmanship won that market for them, despite their obvious shortcomings. The fact that they were first helped a heck of a lot, too.

No, Ageia can't afford to ignore this, and they aren't. You've simply got a tough problem to solve and you'll have to wait for them to solve it, or upgrade your hardware a bit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next