It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:43 pm 

I'm trying to do some research into this error, and trying to reproduce the bugs seen by LaReh and others with the PhysX install

I've got together a Socket A System

1.6Ghz AMD Duron
768 Mb Ram
nVidia GeForce FX 5200
Soltek Motherboard with a VIA 82xx Chipset

I can replace the Duron with an Athlon XP 2000+ that i still have laying around as well to try reproduce the bug.

LaReh, I need some more information on your system ... could you provide the following information.

Exact Mainboard Model (Asus A7S is a family of motherboards, but i need to know the exact one)

Exact Information on your CPU (Processer Model, is it an Athlon XP etc, its speed)

Amount of Memory you are using, and its type (DDR, SD-Ram etc and if possible the speed)

The graphics card you are using (nVidia or ATi, memory, type of card e.g Geforce 4 MX, Radeon 9000 etc)

The reason I'm asking of all this info is one, to reproduce the bug and see if there is a software solution, but also to see about your upgrade options on your current system,

If you can upgrade your CPU to a maybe a Duron or an Athlon XP depending on your pocket, the issue MAY go away, with very little change in your system, and without your wallet screaming for the door!!

The price on the following page amounts to $37 USD, I'm not sure what part of the world you call home so you may need to use a convertor to get it into your native currency. In the UK £20 for a processor is pretty cheap!

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Processors-AMD/subcat/AMD-Athlon-XP-/-Sempron-/-Duron-(Socket-A)

There is a solution to your problem, and I'll do my best to suggest options which don't require you to throw too much money around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:21 pm 

My responses will be sent via PM and thanks for your help.

Update: Nothing has helped yet. Valiant efforts all but so far to no avail. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

b.t.w. did you know this was in the release notes for the 2.6.0 SDK?

Release Notes - AGEIA PhysX SDK 2.6.0 wrote:
Supported Platforms

Runtime

* Software Runtime for Microsoft Windows XP (32bit and 64bit editions; Pentium III / Athlon XP and higher only)
* Software Runtime for Microsoft Windows Vista (32bit edition; Pentium III / Athlon XP and higher only)
* AGEIA PhysX Hardware Runtime for Microsoft Windows XP (32bit and 64bit editions)
* AGEIA PhysX Hardware Runtime for Microsoft Windows Vista (32bit and 64bit editions)
* Microsoft XBox360
* Sony Play Station 3 (provided by Sony)
* Software Runtime for SuSE Enterprise Linux 10.0 (alpha release; 32bit and 64bit editions; Pentium III / Athlon XP and higher only)
* Software Runtime for Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 4.0 (alpha release; 32bit and 64bit editions; Pentium III / Athlon XP and higher only)

Development

* Microsoft Windows XP
* Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003
* Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005
* Microsoft XBox360 development tools
* Sony Playstation 3 development tools
* SuSE Enterprise Linux 10.0 (alpha release)
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 WS (alpha release)

The Athlon XP bit is only in the SDK release notes. AGEIA left that info out of the Runtime release notes. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:01 pm 

D'Lanor wrote:
b.t.w. did you know this was in the release notes for the 2.6.0 SDK?

[...]

* Software Runtime for Microsoft Windows XP (32bit and 64bit editions; Pentium III / Athlon XP and higher only)
[...]

The Athlon XP bit is only in the SDK release notes. AGEIA left that info out of the Runtime release notes. :x

Looks like whoever wrote the requirements for Uru did not know that either. That information would have saved me hours of trying to make it work by reinstalling.:-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:06 pm 

One would think Cyan would know this already especially since it would mean their min specs for URU is lower than the Ageaia PhysX requirements.

Mmmmmm me thinks someone is not paying attention to specific CPU's at Cyan. No wonder they cannot replicate the prob. They are probably using Athlon XP and up.....not the Athlon. Knock knock....whose there?

Does not help me though.....Cyan will probably quietly raise their specs now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

The only thing I can say to that, D'L, is that you'd already come to the same conclusion and posted to that effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 pm 

Well that sinks it for me then. There's no way I can afford a new computer or even a mobo right now. I am recovering from foot surgery in October and have only recently returned to work. Between 2 mortgages, 2 kids in college, car payments, etc., I have NO budget room for anything computer-related. The only positive is that I'm losing weight because I don't have money for food! LOL
Anyway, it's lights out for Uru Live in this house.
See ya all later.

Postscript: Cancelled my Game Tap sub, no use paying for something I'll never use. FYI: No refunds for early cancellation. Uninstalled. Done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:03 pm 

aallan wrote:
Does not help me though.....Cyan will probably quietly raise their specs now.

Good thing I did not pay anything based on the specs. Just wasted lots of time. I would have subscribed if Gametap were available here. And according to the newsletter I get from Gametap since beta Uru would be the only reason to subscribe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Well LaReh,
I really feel for ya. I pulled out this machine my brother inlaw left me. Thinking I could install Game Tap and play with it. And guess wutt?

PHYSX NOT INSTALLED
PHYSX NOT INSTALLED
PHYSX NOT INSTALLED
PHYSX NOT INSTALLED
PHYSX NOT INSTALLED
PHYSX NOT INSTALLED

Then I thought, I heard that somewhere. I didn't know this is what you had been talking about. I am so sorry.

Hey if it's something they can fix. I got data right here too.
[System Summary]

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXXXX
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model VT8363
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1060 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 4/25/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 597.37 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.58 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.30 GB
Page File Space 1.83 GB

I know how it is like when I bought the game "Black and White" upon someones referal. And I read all the requirements. And My machine seemed to meet all the specs UNTIL I tried to install it. It said immediatly "You must have a video card that supports Pixel Shadowing, Installation has been Cancelled". Something like that. It wasn't on the box so luckily Wal-Mart gave me my money back which against policy on opened software.

I have an AthlonXP in this machine I use. Mom has my Old PIII. If I had something you could use I'd send it to ya.

Maybe we need a Slightly Used but URU compliant Parts Thread now? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:12 am 

Quote:
I have an AthlonXP in this machine I use. Mom has my Old PIII. If I had something you could use I'd send it to ya.

Its actually an Athlon not an Athlon XP, The slowest XP that was made ran at 1.3Ghz, your CPU speed is 1Ghz

But the intresting thing is you are running a VIA chipset as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:28 am 

Well folks...it is confirmed for certain. I had to see it to believe it. It is the Athlon chipset that Ageia's PhysX driver does not support.

A co-worker of mine mentioned that FactoryDirect had AthlonXP chipsets (socket A) in stock new for about $60 canadian. So....because I want to give this machine to my daughter to use after I get my new one and that she would like to play URU (go figure)...I decided to go down and see. Bought the thing and installed it on the old motherboard.

I replaced my Athlon chip with the AthlonXP and wouldn't you know it....I got into URU. Mind you my monitor was out of sink so I could not see anything. I run it and 85mHz and had to knock it down to 60 just so I could see URU. I have an HP Paviliion 7935 and the dang thing tells me the chip is no better than the previous...just that now the driver works and I can play URU if I want to now.

Its the pits...Cyan needs to be specific with min specs for Athlon...it should be min Athlon XP and up. That or they have to convince Ageia to have their driver support the Athlon chip. BUT I do not see that ever happening from a business point-of-view.

LaReh this just confirms our position and many others. Its a shame that Cyan is losing some loyal fans over this. Its a gamers market and technology forces consumers to keep buying new, upgrade to new, spend spend to keep up with the Robinsons.

I hope Cyan, doubtful, will come up with a solution to bring all back in. BUT I think, again, in the end they will raise their specs to meet with the new technology they have moved in to.

It comes down to dollars now. We want to play, we have to spend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:32 am 

Frankly, it's pretty obvious to me that it doesn't pay off for Cyan to spend lots of money supporting what amounts to antique hardware. You can't really expect old hardware or operating systems to run anything other than equally old games.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:42 am 

Maratanos wrote:
Frankly, it's pretty obvious to me that it doesn't pay off for Cyan to spend lots of money supporting what amounts to antique hardware. You can't really expect old hardware or operating systems to run anything other than equally old games.

You're missing the point entirely. Prior to Ageia's version 2.6.0., my Uru Live was running perfectly with this computer. They have exiled me by whatever "improvement" they made when going to 2.6.0. I wonder if anyone perceived any noticable differences in their gameplay caused by the Ageia change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:20 am 

LaReh wrote:
Maratanos wrote:

You're missing the point entirely. Prior to Ageia's version 2.6.0., my Uru Live was running perfectly with this computer. They have exiled me by whatever "improvement" they made when going to 2.6.0. I wonder if anyone perceived any noticable differences in their gameplay caused by the Ageia change.

Well, unfortunately, there certainly WERE improvements to the engine, regardless of whether they were noticed by us. And if your apparently 6 year old processor (see release date for Athlon XP here) no longer runs modern games, I don't think it's anyones fault other than your own...

And although I certainly understand that you may not be able to buy a newer processor at this time, unfortunately, that doesn't make it Cyan's responsibility to support the one you have right now.

It sucks, I know... But unfortunately, there's not a lot that can be done short of buying a newer processor. :(

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:31 am 

LaReh wrote:
Maratanos wrote:

You're missing the point entirely.

Nope, he isn't.

Quote:
Prior to Ageia's version 2.6.0., my Uru Live was running perfectly with this computer. They have exiled me by whatever "improvement" they made when going to 2.6.0. I wonder if anyone perceived any noticable differences in their gameplay caused by the Ageia change.

That's all irrelevant. As Maratanos pointed out, we're talking about legacy hardware. Regardless of whether the bug existed half a year ago or not, Ageia's assessment is evidently that it affects so few people that it wouldn't be cost-effective to fix, or that it doesn't have high priority right now, and might be fixed some time later.

(Or something.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next