It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:10 am 

My computer is currently running with two displays at the moment; a 17" CRT is my primary display at 1600x1200, and a 17" LCD is my secondary at 1280x1024. The problem is that the game keeps starting up in the LCD when I want it running on my CRT. All of my other games initialize properly in the primary display as they should, so this seems to be an issue with the game.

The game seems to ignore which display is primary and which is secondary, since it always starts on my LCD regardless of how they're configured. This is troublesome because games tend to run very poorly when initialized on a secondary display.

I'd like to know if there's some sort of option or command line switch I have to toggle in the game to start it on my CRT, or if it's a genuine bug before I submit it. I haven't been able to play the game at all because of this, unfortunately, because it's quite a hassle to have to disconnect and reconfigure my computer every time I'd like to play, especially when other games can handle multiple displays just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:02 am 
Obduction Backer

I think the page you're looking for is

http://support.urulive.com

If it's an annoying hassle that isn't anything like at all what you expected for it to do, plus it makes the game run poorly or not at all, I'd consider that a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:35 am 

Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a known issue or I just had something set up wrong in a config menu that I overlooked. I'll set up a ticket in the morning should that be the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:54 pm 

There's a bug like this with URU (it will always start on the smaller screen). Try right clicking on your desktop and going down to "properties" and then clicking the settings tab. You should see the double display settings place. Click on the monitor you don't want GameTap and Uru to open in, and then uncheck the "Extend my desktop" button.

But yes, ticket it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
> ... it will always start on the smaller screen ... <

I can't confirm this. My dual screen setup works nicely and Uru starts at the bigger display. Supposedly some other parameters play a major role in this. A list of working and not-working configurations might be helpful to narrow down the culprits.

card: NVIDIA FX 5700 driver: 6.14.10.5672
primary res: 1280x1024
secondary res: 1024x768
Uru starting on : primary, windowed mode
problems: none

feel free to PM me if you feel that a comparable configuration wont work with you. We can then discuss some detailed settings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:38 pm 

Ive similar problems and i tested the windowmode but it doesn't work well. It takes to long to load the game so I crashed it with strg+alt+entf. Is there a possibility to restore the settings without being in game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:07 pm 

I suddenly have a related problem too.

My URU also keeps running on my second monitor and not on my prefered high res monitor. Having to disable dual monitor use is awkward.

But, since I tried windowed mode today the game does not start anymore. It keeps a black window and I can only kill the process to end it. I did wait for the window to get me into the game for times over 45 minutes .... but nothing happens on this primary monitor.

What's wrong or rathe": "How to change the beta online display settings when not getting into its settings tool inside the game????"

CORRECTION:

I did pull the inactive black window back to secondary display, then killed it. Next start of the game yields a correct windowed game on secondary monitor. There it seems to have normal 'speed' but as soon as I drag this windowed game back to primary display it stays running but very very slow asif 40 people visit my relto ;).

So, am I sentenced to use my not prefered secondary display for all URU plays??? IT INDEED NEVER OCCURRED WITH OTHER GAMES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:02 pm 

Could be totally unrelated to the issue...

However at work we use a dual display system to display a Local TV station on 2 plasma monitors (Using one output on the graphics card and a cable splitter), and a LCD Monitor in the office (Using the Secondary output on the graphics card).

We can get the TV to display on the Plasma's, however the LCD Monitor does not show the TV output and we get a black output from the TV application in the office.

Though this experience I found that the graphics card/video driver will only render DirectX on one monitor output. So the problems could be caused by this issue.

Try switching the outputs to your monitors, also could you include details of the graphics card you are using (Make, Model, Driver Version etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:48 am 

I've had the same problem with my desktop. Since I have a pair of matching monitors, I can safely say that it always starts up on the Secondary display, well, at least in my case. The way I fixed it was to turn off the dual displays in Windows but it is very poor workaround. I've ticketed this in the ... err... past.

Has anyone also had problems with URU running at 800x600 (the default) and the mouse thinks the res is at 1280xwhatever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:41 pm 

The bug only occurs with 'extended desktop' and not 'clone mode' or 'stretch'.

The same bug exists with MYST V also.

Dissabling extended desktop is the only solution.

With most games the user can select the desired monitor with primary dx acceleration or the game inteligently selects the correct monitor(display) that has primary dx acceleration.

URU is choosing the secondary non accelerated display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:34 pm 

For multiple-monitor-related problems and fixes, try the UltraMon program. Very easy to move windows between monitors, have multiple wallpapers and screensavers, make shortcuts, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:22 am 

Chacal wrote:
For multiple-monitor-related problems and fixes, try the UltraMon program. Very easy to move windows between monitors, have multiple wallpapers and screensavers, make shortcuts, etc.

I've had UltraMon installed ever since I started using multiple displays, so that's not fixing anything as far as I can tell. If it or some other program had a method of forcing applications to a specified display, that might be a stopgap workaround until Cyan gets around to fixing things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:31 pm 

Seems the only sure way to have the screen where you want it with multiple displays is to run it in windowed mode. In windowed mode, I can drag it anywhere I like.

Is there a reason this would NOT be a good idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have 2 19"Widescreen LCD's running in both 1440*900 and uru always starts on my primary monitor. I was thinking, could it be that uru always want to start through the regular VGA output instead of the DVI output, when both outputs are available??

Will have to try this when i get home from work.

PS: i use an Nvidia FX5700/256 Mb, where primary runs on analog and secondary through DVI on dualview.

Regards, C'Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:46 pm 

I have had this bug since the second beta invite. It allways starts on my smaller (vga) screen. I wrote up a detailed ticket about a month ago and it was finally accepted into the log.

shortly after the bug was accepted the issue was resolved, then a couple days later after an update it was back again :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next