It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:49 am 
Obduction Backer

uecasm wrote:
Sadly not until voice recognition software gets about ten thousand times better than it currently is.

Although it wouldn't be as hard to go the other way -- make the text chat vocalised. That could get annoying though.

Yes it could, but if it were, say, an option, and people used it sparingly, it could really enhance the experience. You'd need to have at least 1 female voice and 1 male voice, though.
That's one other problem with voice chat: if males play a female char, or vice versa, voice chat would sound very odd. The other way around, though: making text chat heard, wouldn't have that problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:55 pm 

Turn down NPC voice all the way to the left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:31 pm 

I can already imagine, an entire forum of people talking with the same monotone automated voice.

Would make running into the pub and yelling "Take me to your leader!" funny though.

If you see me in the cavern please feel free to say hello.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Leonor wrote:
Turn down NPC voice all the way to the left.

That will shut up Zandi and Yeesha but not your fellow explorers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:31 pm 

Yes the voice chat is aggravating , if you want to hear the music , the background , and if you just want a peacefull gametime , it would be great to have a mute on voice chat completely so that you can choose , not be imposed ! When people get "ugly" with the voice chat or static , or just plain to loud ! I want an on/off voice chat ! I SUGGEST THAT A ICON BESIDE YOUR NAME IN THE AGE PLAYERS TELLS PEOPLE YOUR VOICE CHAT IS ON or OFF so that people would know to write to you or if they can talk !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:25 pm 

While I do not mind voice chat, a lot of the time I do not care to have my volume turned up to the level that it often requires to hear the people speaking. It also requires more concentration to pay attention to listening to people talk rather than reading a text message. Unless I'm hanging out with a small group of people in one of our ages, I prefer using text chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:05 pm 

This is slightly off-topic, but it's kind of funny.

Years ago, I read an anecdote about something that happened when Microsoft first started trying to develop voice recognition software.

After they'd set things up, when someone said "Recognize speech" into the microphone, the monitor would only display text that said "Wreck a nice beach."

I believe they had to go back to the drawing board. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 pm 

Renfield wrote:
when someone said "Recognize speech" into the microphone, the monitor would only display text that said "Wreck a nice beach."

Ah... umm... that would be me, when listening to voice chat... It gets embarrassing continually asking "Pardon me, what?" :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:30 pm 

Malia wrote:
Ah... umm... that would be me, when listening to voice chat... It gets embarrassing continually asking "Pardon me, what?" :oops:

Yes, that too. The quality and/or volume of some people's mics is just not enough to understand what they're saying and you have to ask them to repeat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

uecasm wrote:
Although it wouldn't be as hard to go the other way -- make the text chat vocalised. That could get annoying though.

Actually, I've heard that in Cavern. :shock: And it was not any more annoying than regular voice chat. In fact it was easier to understand.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Um, guys.....the ignore feature got fixed a day or two ago. You can now ignore people and you can't hear them, they can't hear you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:38 am 

I PERSONALY DON'T LIKE VOICE CHAT! THE ONLY GOOD USE WAS MUSIC FROM TIME TO TIME, BUT FOR THE MOST PART IT IS ANOYING TO ME! SO I WALK AWAY FROM THOSE USING IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:49 am 

justdusty wrote:
I personally don't like voice chat. The only good use was music from time to time, but for the most part it is annoying to me. So I walk away from those using it.

If you don't like people using voice chat, just turn the sound down. Sometimes it's a shame you can't do that with text...

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:24 am 
Obduction Backer

In some cases you can make use of a bug to turn voicechat off. In your tools / audio settings you have a slider for software / generic hardware / your soundcard. At least for the audigy 2, your soundcard will disable voicechat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

djlumberjack wrote:
Um, guys.....the ignore feature got fixed a day or two ago. You can now ignore people and you can't hear them, they can't hear you.

I don't want a whole list of ignored people just so I can't hear the voice chat, though.
It may be annoying, doesn't mean I don't want to interact with them in other ways.
Bad solution.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next