It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:50 pm 

Hi, I'm new here. I played the single player URU and loved it, but never had the internet connection for URU Live until recently. :)

I just found out about the public beta and here I am... with a problem :cry:

When I launch URU it stays forever at the status bar. The bar is empty and doesn't move at all. Above it reads: "Checking for patcher updates..." The issue is not with my firewall as I've tried disabling it and the problem continued. I can quit the game by clicking cancel, so it has not hung completely.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've opened a ticket.

Thanks,
Sir Pyke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:16 am 
Obduction Backer

How long have you waited? The latest update was quite long. Depending on how fast your computer and your connection is, maybe you just didn't wait long enough?

My daughter just loaded it the other day, and it took upwards of 10-15 minutes to load everything.

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:54 am 

are you going thru gametap? just had to ask :)

the update may take a while, you may have been trying at a busy time too.

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:47 am 

Sharaya wrote:
How long have you waited? The latest update was quite long. Depending on how fast your computer and your connection is, maybe you just didn't wait long enough?

My daughter just loaded it the other day, and it took upwards of 10-15 minutes to load everything.

I left it open for an hour or so. My connection is 1MBit so its not the best, but not that shabby...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:48 am 

pixilpink wrote:
are you going thru gametap? just had to ask :)

the update may take a while, you may have been trying at a busy time too.

Nope, through the stand alone client. I'm in Australia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:04 am 

Hi,
I'm also an old URU and Myst fan. I've played all the games with great pleasure and look forward to the URU Live. BUT,I have exactly the same problem as Sir Pyke, only I'm in Sweden. I have been able to play a kind of limping game for about a month. The loading times have been painfully long (5-15 min just to get to Relto) and the cursor and manouvering functions in the game is lagging, to say the least. I often get kicked out, and have only been able to communicate with other explorers a few times. (It's really embarassing not being able to answer an approach because the access time is so long). After the latest beta update I haven't been able to launch the game at all. The update doesn't download (I gave up after 3,5 hours) ':?' although I've tried several times. I've checked the net speed and have over 25 Mbps up/down to a local server, and 2 Mbps to the server in Atlanta. I think GameTap and Cyan has a serious problem here. If the problem really is the Internet speed, then maybe placing servers overseas would be a solution. I know that other MMO distributors do that.
It's important for us explorers to communicate our experiences, so keep on posting tickets to the support guys. That's how we can help the best.
Buy now :)
Marya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marya wrote:
Hi,
I'm also an old URU and Myst fan. I've played all the games with great pleasure and look forward to the URU Live. BUT,I have exactly the same problem as Sir Pyke, only I'm in Sweden. I have been able to play a kind of limping game for about a month. The loading times have been painfully long (5-15 min just to get to Relto) and the cursor and manouvering functions in the game is lagging, to say the least. I often get kicked out, and have only been able to communicate with other explorers a few times. (It's really embarassing not being able to answer an approach because the access time is so long). After the latest beta update I haven't been able to launch the game at all. The update doesn't download (I gave up after 3,5 hours) ':?' although I've tried several times. I've checked the net speed and have over 25 Mbps up/down to a local server, and 2 Mbps to the server in Atlanta. I think GameTap and Cyan has a serious problem here. If the problem really is the Internet speed, then maybe placing servers overseas would be a solution. I know that other MMO distributors do that.
It's important for us explorers to communicate our experiences, so keep on posting tickets to the support guys. That's how we can help the best.
Buy now :)
Marya

Well, its not just internet connection that matters. Your computer is a huge factor too, from what you describe your computer sounds like it might not be up to par enough to play Uru reasonably, though to be sure if you could post your computer specs that could help address that particular problem, as for not being able to update, I've noticed a lot of the non-gametap people in other countries are having that problem, so you may have to contact support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:20 pm 

I have a Pentium4 of 2.2 MHz, 1 GB RAM and WXP SP2. I think that should be enough? I have posted tickets about this to support and have not yet got an answer. Since last post to this thread I have downloaded the update, but it took a couple of hours. After that I have tried to play Uru but experienced about 5 kick outs from the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marya wrote:
I have a Pentium4 of 2.2 MHz, 1 GB RAM and WXP SP2. I think that should be enough? I have posted tickets about this to support and have not yet got an answer. Since last post to this thread I have downloaded the update, but it took a couple of hours. After that I have tried to play Uru but experienced about 5 kick outs from the server.

Hmm, those specs are good enough, what about your graphics card? Some unsupported graphics cards might not run well (especially mobile versions).

Also, what kind of modem you have? Wireless ones are not a good bet when playing online games, as they do tend to lag a bit and commonly "hiccup" which can disconnect you from the server.

Trying :/ Hoping I can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:02 pm 

Hi, and thanks ever so much for your effort. I'm on a TP-net in the building and on Fiber Optics from the net provider. No modem. I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700, and have no trouble with other graphically demanding games.
I'm also behind a router. Do you think that has any impact. We play other net games on this computer without problems, like Eve and CS.
I think I have got what it takes, but I don't get any. I don' want to give up, but Uru Live has so far been a trying experience (only technically, I love the game).
I think that the sea between us is the problem :wink:

Last edited by Marya on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:09 pm 

Sir Pyke wrote:
Hi, I'm new here. I played the single player URU and loved it, but never had the internet connection for URU Live until recently. :)

I just found out about the public beta and here I am... with a problem :cry:

When I launch URU it stays forever at the status bar. The bar is empty and doesn't move at all. Above it reads: "Checking for patcher updates..." The issue is not with my firewall as I've tried disabling it and the problem continued. I can quit the game by clicking cancel, so it has not hung completely.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've opened a ticket.

Thanks,
Sir Pyke

It looks to me like a lot of people are giving you unhelpful advice. Please disregard anyone who says that it may take quite a while. While it is true that the entire update may take quite a while, it should not take more than 3 seconds on "checking for patcher updates". I'd recommend you make doubly-sure you can connect to the server correctly. Try going to the command line and typing "ping auth.urulive.com" Tell me what it says.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:55 am 

Stuck at "checking for patcher update"

It look like I have this problem also, nothing happens, no progress bars, zip, nada.

I can ping the server as suggested, it comes back imediatly with good turnaround times.

I am behind a solid hardware based firewall that needs to have ports explicitly opened, but I have not had any problems with the older Until URU, are there any specific ports that need to be opened for the patcher to work?

hoping for some help, as I really want to be IC.

"I've climed the heights of Kovir,
I've sailed the wine dark sea,
Yeah, you could say I've been places."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:23 am 

Capitan Phineas wrote:
I am behind a solid hardware based firewall that needs to have ports explicitly opened, but I have not had any problems with the older Until URU, are there any specific ports that need to be opened for the patcher to work?

The old Until Uru client could use the proxy settings of the Internet Explorer to download files. The new MOUL client is using a different port. Here is a list of the port and all game servers from my software project:

Code:
PORT = 14617 # AF_INET : SOCK_STREAM

SERVER_LIST = [
    'beta-auth.urulive.com',
    'beta-file.urulive.com',
    'uruapp-cw01.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw02.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw03.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw04.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw05.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw06.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw07.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw08.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw09.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw10.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw11.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw12.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw13.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw14.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw15.ibs.aol.com',
    'uruapp-cw16.ibs.aol.com',
    ## The servers below are available via ICMP ping but have no running game
    ## server (2006-01-17)
    #'uruapp-cw18.ibs.aol.com',
    #'uruapp-cw19.ibs.aol.com',
    #'uruapp-cw20.ibs.aol.com',
    #'uruapp-cw21.ibs.aol.com',
    #'uruapp-cw22.ibs.aol.com',
]

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 am 

Thanks Tiran
Explicitly alowing inbound and outbound communication on port tcp 14617 has fixed the Stuck at "checking for patcher update" problem. Now I guess I am waiting for some major patch updates, at least the Updating Uru section has a slowly moving progress bar.

"I've climed the heights of Kovir,
I've sailed the wine dark sea,
Yeah, you could say I've been places."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]