It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

.shorah :)

This is probably something that someone else has brought up before, and that has probably already been resolved here before, but there's SO many threads here (some very long), so please forgive me if I'm treading on already traversed ground :)

My brother joined the Uru Beta back before it was public. But the Beta has now been public/free for a little while. Recently I found the time to start it myself, so I created an account for myself as a sub-account of my brother's, so when it comes time to start paying, we'd only have to pay one monthly fee (that's how sub-accounts work, right?).

I started the public Uru Beta last week, and played a number of times. But yesterday, I logged in, and instead of taking me to the screen where I select my character and then continue on to play, it brought me to a screen that said "VISITOR Name" (followed by a place to enter it), a choice of selecting Male or Female, and "If you have received an invitation code, please enter it below:" (followed by a place to enter it). At the bottom there are 3 buttons: Quit, Back, and Visit Uru.

Visit Uru won't work unless I enter an invitation code, which I have no idea what it is. Quit, naturally, exits the program. If I hit Back, it takes me to a screen similar-looking to the one I'm supposed to get, but it doesn't have my existing character. Instead, it says "Visitors", followed by a "Create Visitor" place, and then it says "Explorers", followed by 5 "Create Explorer" places. At the bottom there are 3 buttons: Delete Visitor, Quit, Visit Uru.

(I'd post the pics, but they're just screenshots, and I can't figure out how to attach a non-url picture on this web board :()

I tried it 4 times, but always got the same result. I thought it might just be a temporary server error, so I tried it again today, but the same thing happened.

All of this has been using "C:\Program Files\Myst Online\UruLauncher.exe". Then I heard that Cyan has begun asking us to log into the Uru Beta via the GameTap Interface. I had already downloaded it, but had just preferred the UruLauncher.exe because it's faster :) But, since Cyan has asked us to, I opened the GameTap link, logged in, found Uru Live, and clicked "Get the Game". It then required me to click "Join Now", after which it opened up a new tab in my internet browser, which led me to a page on the GameTap site where I had to log in again.

After I did this, it took me to a page with my Account Info where I had to AGAIN enter AND re-enter my password. After I clicked Continue, it took me to a page where I had to pick a payment plan. This may be a dumb or naive question, but I thought that the Uru Beta was still free, for as long as it's still a Beta? Since Cyan has asked us to start getting into the Uru Beta through GameTap, does that mean that it's time to start paying? I'm certainly willing to pay for Uru :D, but I'm just a little confused, because I haven't heard any big announcement letting us know that the Beta is no longer free.

Again, this is probably a dumb question that I should know the answer to, but can anyone help me out with this? There's a squee in it for you! :)

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't know the answer, but personally, if I read it right, I'm not sure that it would make too much difference. Uru Live comes out February 15th, so you'd only have, maybe, 20 days of playing for free...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:13 pm 

As far as what is on GameTAP right now.. Yes you have to be a member of GameTAP to play URU-Live if you are in the US or Canada. That means you have to have a paying GameTAP account.

(edit)
If the two of you wish to have seperate players and games, and play together at the same time then DO NOT use the same GameTAP login. Once one of you signs up for GameTAP you need to make a sub-account. One person uses the main GameTAP account to login and the other uses the Sub-account... no extra cost all the benifits!
This gives you two seperate GameTAP user names and passwords and two seperate URU-Live games. So you both can play at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Sudre: "As far as what is on GameTAP right now.. Yes you have to be a member of GameTAP to play URU-Live if you are in the US or Canada. That means you have to have a paying GameTAP account."

The thing is, yesterday, my brother got into the Uru Beta just fine, even though he doesn't have a paid account yet. Since my account is a sub-account of his, why should I have a problem getting in?

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

That would depend on your location and type of account, [email protected]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]