It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Toria, I had 7 fps on a TI 4600 card (GeForce 4) in Prologue. What graphics card are you using? It seems like time to upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:58 pm 

For my graphics card in this machine, I'm using a Diamond V9600XT (Radeon) with 256 MB RAM. Maybe it's time for me to defrag :P :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

dgrotto wrote:
Thanks for the definitions--it really helps. I'm experiencing all three that you listed--but only in the city, nowhere else.

Try visiting a very popular 'hood, such as Uru Obsession's Bevin. Wait until there are the same number of people in there as there are in the city when you usually visit it, and then tell me if you're having the same problems.

If you are, then it's your computer, and you need to upgrade and/or reduce your graphics quality, at least while in the city. (BTW, we -all- experience the hitching thing.)

BTW, what are your system specs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:07 pm 

ToriaURU wrote:
.... Now, on the same machine, in Prologue, it was continous Freeze, then move for about 5 secs. then freeze, i.e. machine unable to do anything.... for like 2 minutes at a time, then 5 secs of movement. Etc. Why I never got any markers in Prologue :roll: :wink:

Which is exactly why Cyan came up with the "instanced" city accessible through the Kadish Gallery link in our brown city book! Yipee - wahooo :wink: Now we can race around the city looking for markers - or anything else - to our heart's content and never experience a single "hitch". :lol:

Well.....almost never. :roll:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:47 am 

The momentary freeze when someone links in is one reason I don't goto D'ni Ae'gura but instead the city city (the hood instance of the city). Of course the other is half the time Ae'gura is full to capacity. Its nice to do a marker hunt without having everything freeze every 5 seconds as someone links in.

Post subject: Unplayable
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am 

I'd also like to throw in my $.02 and say that the city is nearly unplayable. I experience many many "stutters", where my avi will freeze for up to 15 seconds at random times, as often as every 30 seconds. It seems to be somewhat related to the number of other avatars in close proximity, but this is not always true.

Although I can play my own instanced city, isn't the multiplayer the main reason this game exists? I keep trying to log in, hoping that maybe things will be better this time, but I always give upafter about 5 minutes. It's simply not fun.

I can overlook stuttering of other people's characters, but when my entire interface (including music!) freezes over and over, I have to question the quality of the network code. Please fix this!

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm running a fast machine. Yes, I have fast internet with low latency. Cavern population exhibiting the bug is typically 25-30, worse as more people arrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:36 pm 

Sledge - Have you reported your problems with the City to Support? Every bit of information can help them. I have got to believe that Cyan is working their tushies off to find a fix for this - elswise this could turn into a major URU breaker. :( Especially after the "official" Launch.

myself wrote:
In the meantime - correct me if I'm wrong - the instanced city from the brown book is supposed to be open to everyone in your hood. So you can meet fellow hood members there. Also, you should be able to invite friends who are not hood members by linking them to your Relto with your journal then letting them link with the brown book to the Kadish Gallery.
The information in this paragraph is incorrect for the most part (see posts below). Apologies - Kero

Admittedly this is an unsatisfactory work-around if the reason you go to the City is to meet and interact with new people. I too hope the problem can be corrected.

Which does bring up another question - how can we get lots more people in the hoods - both members and strangers - without the horrendous problems that are plagueing the City?

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Last edited by Kero on Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
letting them link with the brown book to the Kadish Gallery.
One day people are going to stop posting this. The city book in your relto is not shareable. If the flap is up, the person trying to use the book sees a grey swirl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:50 pm 

To get to the same 'quiet' hood city instance, people have to be neighbours in the same hood. Then each person use their City book to link to the Gallery, from Relto. Then you'll arrive at the same Gallery instance. That's the only way it's worked for me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

My lag issues decreased markedly when I built a new PC that was more than capable of running Uru. With the earlier machine, during the laggiest times I noticed that my hard drive activity light was lit almost solidly as Uru accessed my page files due to limited RAM (384MB). Now that I have 2GB of RAM, not to mention a dual-core CPU and a good graphics card, the lag has been reduced to those instances where others link in, and that's about it. In my case at least, Uru's performance was greatly affected by my PC.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mowog wrote:
during the laggiest times I noticed that my hard drive activity light was lit almost solidly as Uru accessed my page files due to limited RAM (384MB).
Pagefile (virtual memory) is just as important here. Prologue was picky about it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:53 pm 

amount of RAM can affect lag - dgrotto, maybe you need to add more?

so can having other things running - msn messenger in particular. try closing down anything you don't absolutely need running.

defragging can also help, so can upping the page file.

if you happen to have comcast as your isp, they recently upped the speed. to get the increased speed you have to completely unplug the modem from the cable line, power and the computer (and let it sit for a couple of minutes) and then plug it in again and let it reset itself.

Image ki #101936

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2