It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Beta to paying acct
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:25 pm 

This may have been addressed, and I appologize in advance.

I went to gametap and signed up for a year and the computer downloaded the gametap program and I now have an icon on the desktop that goes to gametap. Within gametap, I can download URU if desired. I haven't done so yet.

I have a separate Icon on my desktop that is called MYST online and goes through all the steps to get online and into my saved game.

On Feb 15th....

Will my MYST online link work and I'll be a full blown explorer with all my current progress saved and transferred over.

OR,

Will I have to log on via the gametap interface, download URU and start the game all over again.

The answer determines if I should bother to go online and play URU now and before Feb 15th, or if I should just wait because I'm going to have to do it all again.
Thanks again
Rhodman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Did you upgrade your beta account to a paid account, following the instructions from Wednesday's email? Or did you create a separate paid account?

If you did the former, it doesn't matter which way you log in -- you'll see the same account with the same avatars. (You'll have to download a lot of data files again, but this doesn't affect your play state.)

If you created a new paid account, you might be hosed. I don't know if there's a way to move game progress from a beta account to a separate paid account. You'll have to talk to support and ask.

Either way, you shouldn't have to wait for the 15th. Either get back in and play your characters today, or contact them and transition your stuff today. The beta account will expire on the 14th (according to this email).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:24 pm 

if you have only one account you won't have to start over. your progress and avatar will still be there, they are saved server side. if you log into gametap and uru with the same password and username then you only have one account. not sure if you have to download the ages again. most likely not, unless you moved the folders from where gametap put them in the first place. or did you never download it thru gametap? (not sure if that is possible anymore...)

if you DO have two accounts, (different password/username/email) there is a way to merge them, but you have to contact graydragon with your accounts information. he then forwards that to gametap and they merge the two accounts. (it doesn't sound like that is your problem though)

ok, one more edit. you should consider going thru the gametap interface for two reasons. one: it helps gametap and cyan see how many people are accessing uru. and two: not sure how long you will be able to use the desktop link :P

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject: response for clarity
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:06 pm 

I got the email from gametap and went through the links in the email.
I logged into gametap with the username and password I had from the Beta and they worked and then choose the year option.

You're saying I should download the gametap URU file and my created avatar should exist when I log in?

Thanks,
Rod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

"You're saying I should download the gametap URU file and my created avatar should exist when I log in?"

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:11 am 

pixilpink wrote:
ok, one more edit. you should consider going thru the gametap interface for two reasons. one: it helps gametap and cyan see how many people are accessing uru. and two: not sure how long you will be able to use the desktop link :P

I would love to, but as I'm running Myst on Win2k, GameTap refuses to acknowledge that it'll run on my system. Thus, independant installer is the only way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Rhodman1, what I would do if I were you is download Uru Live using the gametap client, log in, and see if your avatars and progress are available via Gametap.

If so, no worries. Just ignore (or delete) the Uru desktop icon and play through Gametap.

If not, don't panic, Gametap downloads Uru into a different location than the one accessed by your desktop icon. Your current progress won't be overwritten. The problem is, you have two accounts: your paid Gametap account and your free Uru beta account, and they don't share avatars.

If you have two accounts, you could convert your unpaid Uru account to a paid account, but then you'd be paying for two Gametap accounts. It might be possible to transfer your game progress from your unpaid account to your paid account (and let the unpaid account die) but I think that takes an act of Greydragon; try a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lemme weigh in here on this.

I have a beta and a paying account that are separate. GT sent me e-mail after I contacted Ryan about this. I followed the GT directions and got bubkas. I have no access to my avatar yet. It says the name is in use. Well, duh!

I said "yet" as the transition may not take place until the end of beta on, what, the 14th? I asked the folks at Customer Support for a little more information on how this works, as the original e-mail from them was cryptic.

That story and more coming up on the news at 11:00.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:49 pm 

This is for you, then. Maybe they can give you an extension.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:26 pm 

Teknobubba, i had the same issue. two seperate accounts. one beta one paid.

email or PM greydragon

Screen name of current account
Email address of current account
Screen name of beta account to be transferred to paid account status
Email address of beta account to be transferred to paid account status

he should get pack to you. it may take some time though. i just got my notification the other day :)

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:43 pm 

Ok, I made the transition and upgraded to a paid account. Seeing as I can launch through Gametap, and everything is still there, can I go ahead and uninstall, the Uru Beta software currently installed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:48 pm 

Mirage wrote:
Ok, I made the transition and upgraded to a paid account. Seeing as I can launch through Gametap, and everything is still there, can I go ahead and uninstall, the Uru Beta software currently installed?

Well... You're talking about the copy of the install that's probably located in C:\Program Files\Myst Online\? If so, maybe you might want to wait a moment.

You see, by changing the location of the program on your hard drive, you've effectively removed all of your progress in downloading content. You'll have to download everything again, unless...

You copy both the "dat" and "sfx" folders from your current install to C:\Program Files\GameTap\volumes\games\140000150\data\ after having already downloaded the game through GameTap. this will mean you no longer need to download everything...

Warning: this technique is not officially supported by anyone, and could result in the corruption of your game. That's not likely at all, but don't come crying to us if it doesn't work after doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:05 pm 

Thanks for the input. I already downloaded and installed Gametap's version/launcher, and run Uru Live from it. So wouldn't my profile in the Gametap directory be current? And thus making the other install (original Beta download) redundant?

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:11 pm 

Mirage wrote:
Thanks for the input. I already downloaded and installed Gametap's version/launcher, and run Uru Live from it. So wouldn't my profile in the Gametap directory be current? And thus making the other install (original Beta download) redundant?

Thanks again for your help.

Well, yes, all your character progress will be saved, but all the content that you downloaded will have to be downloaded again unless you follow my advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maratanos wrote:
This is for you, then. Maybe they can give you an extension.

Actually...that's what started it all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next