It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:18 am 

When I start Myst Online, the update process gets interrupted. When I start the game up, it says it checks for updates, then it signs in. The game is in 800*600 resolution, or something close. I see the logo screens. Then, it says it is updating URU. This screen never goes away, I have let it run for about 4 hours now. It is like a silent crash, or no error messages. I have to use task manager to close out of the game. It is always reproducible. I have tried it about 4 times. I have also un installed it and re-downloaded, same problem. I have also tried a clean startup, or nothing starts up except windows. This includes Windows Defender and Norton. I have updated all of my drivers. I unable to play the game due to this. Can someone please help me with this issue. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:35 am 

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:

It hangs indefinately once it reaches 0 seconds, yes?

If so, it's a known issue that results from not having a fast enough connection speed. Recommended to overcome this problem is an actual connection speed of 384 kbits per second, I believe.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:41 am 

Uhm it can't be because of a fast enough connect. I have Gametap and Uru installed on both my desktop and laptop. On my laptop I can't even get to the updating screen. Mine stops at "Loading Uru. Please Wait" and then it goes to stackdump. My desktop does not reproduce this problem. And they have the same connection to the internet.

And from what I've read people have said this is still the 0 seconds bug I am experiencing also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:50 am 

Raniass'i wrote:
Uhm it can't be because of a fast enough connect. I have Gametap and Uru installed on both my desktop and laptop. On my laptop I can't even get to the updating screen. Mine stops at "Loading Uru. Please Wait" and then it goes to stackdump. My desktop does not reproduce this problem. And they have the same connection to the internet.

And from what I've read people have said this is still the 0 seconds bug I am experiencing also.

Well then.

Your laptop has some other problem I can't diagnose. Not the 0 second bug. The 0 second bug is very specific. It refers to you hanging indefinately on the updating screen without doing anything. If you can't get that far, you have something else.

Your desktop works fine, then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:39 pm 

Are you sure, I do have high speed, and I can play other games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:00 pm 

sc1234freak wrote:
Are you sure, I do have high speed, and I can play other games.

The term "high speed" is deceptive. Some companies may claim 256 kbits/sec is "high speed", but even if that's so, it's still not high enough speed for your download of the scripting files to not time-out.

Two things:

1. What is the advertised speed for your "high speed" internet connection?

2. Could you go to www.speedtest.net and report what it gives for download speed? Choose the Atlanta server for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:23 am 

Yes I have high speed internet. On the low end mind ya, I have 512k download, but I have it. Now I have Gametap and Uru installed not only on my desktop but my laptop as well. I have no problems with my desktop. I have this problem only on my laptop and both computers are on the same internet connection. So I would say if one computer is working fine and the other isn't then it definately is not the internet connection or it would be affecting both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have a similar problem to the OP. My connection is a 2000kb/s, tested (from Germany to Miami) several times last night and showing about 1500 kb/s. the estimated time for down load starts with, say, 58 seconds and slowly increases as the update runs. Then suddenly, after closing with Alt F4 several times one download raced through and I was in!
I think I need to have a chat with my ISP amongst other things.
Oh well :(

TMP is the place to be, come visit The Meeting Place Hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:19 pm 

ilfordboy wrote:
I have a similar problem to the OP. My connection is a 2000kb/s, tested (from Germany to Miami) several times last night and showing about 1500 kb/s. the estimated time for down load starts with, say, 58 seconds and slowly increases as the update runs. Then suddenly, after closing with Alt F4 several times one download raced through and I was in!

Yeah, that's something else... Create a ticket on support.urulive.com and see what they say.

Raniass'i wrote:
Yes I have high speed internet. On the low end mind ya, I have 512k download, but I have it. Now I have Gametap and Uru installed not only on my desktop but my laptop as well. I have no problems with my desktop. I have this problem only on my laptop and both computers are on the same internet connection. So I would say if one computer is working fine and the other isn't then it definately is not the internet connection or it would be affecting both.

Stop spreading misinformation, please. You have already admitted to me (if not yourself) that you too have a different bug.

Lets try a simple syllogism here:

All people with 0-second bugs experience an indefinate hang at the last second of their "updating", hence its name.
No people that are you* experience an indefinate hang at the last second of their "updating"**
Therefore, No people that are you* experience the 0-second bug.

This is a substitution form of the argument type AOO-2, which is summarized as:

All P is M
No S is M
Therefore, no S is P.

Unless you deny one of the two premisses, this argument is not only valid, but also sound.

For those of you who are not logically oriented, this can be summarized as follows:

The 0-second bug occurs when your "Updating" screen after viewing the logos hangs indefinately with 0 seconds remaining.

You are not experiencing this on either of your computers**.

So you have something else, other than the 0-second bug.

*Fitting arguments into syllogisms can cause some very weird constructions... ;)

**You said:

Quote:
Mine stops at "Loading Uru. Please Wait" and then it goes to stackdump.

So your error is after you log in but before you see the Cyan and GameTap logos. It's something different. QED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maratanos wrote:
ilfordboy wrote:

Yeah, that's something else... Create a ticket on support.urulive.com and see what they say.

Done already, awaiting reply! It is an intermittent prob. though, seems to be time of day related, maybe my ISP cant handle all the traffic?

TMP is the place to be, come visit The Meeting Place Hood.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]