It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:29 am 

It might be nice for people who begin playing games in Jalak to have a method of choosing who goes first.

/coinflip would return heads or tails but only works for two people

/randomX (where X is a number between 1 to 100) would return a random number from 1 to X

/rollX would be the same as /randomX but would carry the "dice" connotation which is familiar to many gamers

(Choosing priority is obviously not the only application for this function, it's just the reason I'm suggesting it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:37 am 

I find that bouncing a cube off of someone's head makes for a nice method. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Herohtar wrote:
I find that bouncing a cube off of someone's head makes for a nice method. ;)

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:05 pm 

Actually... bouncing a triangle off and using it like a coin might work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:29 pm 

While those are all great ideas, it is conceivable that, at some point, the blocks one might use to determine priority may already be positioned in-place for a game.

The /rollX command (i'm more in favor of it now than /randomX because it can return "Avatarname rolled Y") is relatively simple to incorporate/implement and has many uses beyond the one for which it is being suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Remember MUDs and stuff? They usually had a /roll command that let you roll Dungeons and Dragons style dice. /roll 1d6 for instance would give you a random number between 1 and 6, while /roll 2d6 would give you a number between 2 and 12, the equivalent of rolling two 6-sided die.

It was always /roll XdY+Z, where X was the number of die, Y was the number of faces the die had, and Z was some additional modifier and was optional.

/roll 1d2 would simulate a coin toss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Reading Scyrone's suggestion for a Jalak Game made me realize that we already have some kind of mechanism for simulating rolling dice.

/coinflip: Let two explorers stand on different columns and randomize all columns with the KI control panel. The explorer who ends up at a higher level than the other one wins.

/randomX: Pick one single column, then randomize all columns via the KI control panel, and determine the height of the selected column to get your random value between 0 and 18. For random values less than 18, calculate the modulus of the resulting height, e.g. if you need a /random6 and the selected column ends up at height 10, then you get 10 modulo 6 which equals 4. If you need greater values, then add the heights of two or more columns to determine a single value.

With the latter, you can even get a /roll XdY functionality, simply by selecting more than only one column. This means that you can have up to 25 "dice", each of them giving you one out of up to 19 values (/roll 25d19).

I do realize that this can be much less convenient than having a KI command, especially if you have to determine the height of a column by counting how many times you must lower it to reach height 0 (if someone stands on the outer walls, s/he can more easily determine the actual height of an outer column just by looking at it). There also might be a problem with not wanting to change a given column and block setup just for "rolling the dice". But such a /random command will probably get a very low priority on Cyan's To Do list and my suggestion may offer an alternative solution until we have something better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:26 pm 

Low priority? HOLD THY TONGUE INFIDEL!!!!

Quote:
Sounds like a good request to me! I've made one with your information
and sent it off to be seen by the dev team.

Thanks a bunch for the request!

---
Aaron "Monarch" Biegalski
Bugman and Resident Ninja Master
Uru Live Support Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Hopefully we'll see this.. it's a command, and nothing more, so it shouldn't cause any bugs and should be easy to put in to the system.
And good, cause I've wanted a /roll command ever since the days of UU where bored admins dropped the cavern map onto the grouind and made it life-sized for us.. "One, two, three, four, five! Ooo, a link card! 'Lag spike, miss a turn'. Drat!" :P

But is anyone else thinking they're using zen programming now?
Quote:
I've made one with your information and sent it off to be seen by the dev team.
:D

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

this would seriously solve the problem of trying to run a LARP in cavern. (Hows *THAT* for meta-gaming!)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]