It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: over head names
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:52 am 

One reason i left uru awhile back is no way to get into the game as in log into the welcome center no one had a name over thier head had to go search through this room though familar with the room couldndt find the name finder which is dumb. so is there goign to be a way that all people whil have ther names over their heads to begin with? so can get to exploring right away instead of getting so stressed out not finding that idiot thing then having to go back to the welcome area where all are hoppng all over bumping into everyone. i left but am returning in hopes to explore uru online with others but hope can get into the lands right away and not have to search for sensless stuff like a name finder so suggestion make people have names over thier heads to begin with :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:58 am 
Obduction Backer

/me scratches head in total confusion :?

Welcome center? Name finder?

What version of Uru were you playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Shorah juliiana and welcome to the MOUL forums!

Your description sounds more like a Second Life Orientation center - especially with the bumping into others since Uru had no collision for avatars.

Uru had no official Welcome Center, but towards the end of MOUL, Visitors (free accounts) were directed to the Guild of Greeters Bevin, and Greeters often assisted newcomers in finding the KI which is what I presume you mean by the "name finder." While the KI did show who was in an age with you and assist in making it easier to speak with others not in the same location, it wasn't necessary to see avatar names. All you had to do was hover the mouse cursor over someone to see their name.

Aside from communication, the main purpose of the KI (and what made it imperative to have one) was to be able to travel to various locations through the Nexus.

Uru is not currently available online, but we hope for its return in the near future, so keep checking back here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:34 pm 

...and here I was thinking that it would be interesting to NOT know an avatar's name until one had actually spoken to him/her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:17 pm 

I think that would take away from the "realness" of URU. It kind of goes against why CYAN made the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:39 pm 

@ juliiana

Think "real life" :!:

How many people do you meet with names over their heads :?: Image

Btw, welcome to the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:37 pm 

I could see this working perhaps as a toggle-able KI feature. After all if the KI can be used to give you an interface, I suppose having it give personal information displays isn't such a great stretch of the imagination. However, it wouldn't make sense for your KI to be able to identify someone without a KI, and perhaps not have the feature as an "always on" feature, but perhaps more like the advanced interface, where your avatar stand still and looks at the KI whilst it's in use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:52 am 

There are a few simple ways to find someone in an area:

1) Message them and ask where they are.
2) Names are ordered in the KI list according to proximity-- so just run around until you start to see their name move up on the list, kind of like "getting warmer/colder".
3) Message them and ask where they are.
4) Message them and ask where they are.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]