It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:56 am 

I was thinking about how Atrus would put a page back into a book and it would fix the link and it could then be linked to. Then I thought about having this as a way for a large amount of ppl to accomplish something while giving cyan the time to write the age and still be able to give us teasers IC.

A summury would be a damage description book is found and the explorers repair it by finding pages and putting them back into the book.

First it would have to have a simple age. One which could be written quickly and it would be a private age. Maybe a Yeesha journey age. In this age the explorer or a group would follow a path maybe solve a puzzle and in the end get a page to the description book. Hopefully the puzzle would be slightly different each time played. So an explorer or group could solve it as often as they'd like and collect many pages. There could even be several different ways to collect pages from the same age. Like sitting on the beach watching the tide go out and a capsule is found sticking halfway out of the sand page in it. Another may be a lock solving type. Basically ppl would hang around here looking for ways to find pages. I guess it could even be a public age. Might be better that way. Of coarse each time the tide would come in and out again the capsule would reappear.

Maybe this was a burnt book or it was just torn apart, but Yeesha is helping us find these pieces. Maybe she is rewriting the pages, going back in time and collecting. I don't know... just an idea going here.

The description book would be something that the DRC had found in the library or whereever that the explorers would now have access to. The linking panel would be blank since the book has been damaged so badly. Once an explorer finds a page they would place the page into the book. As enough pages are collected the panel would start to show something... teaser. When enough pages were found (ie. Cyan finishes writing the age) the link would become stable and ppl could go there.

just an idea. What do y'all think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:49 am 

The idea of the "Uru Population" having to collect a load of pages is an excellent idea. I think this concept of a "world event" that players work towards is probably already in use in other MMO games and I think would be appropriate in this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:13 am 

I also must agree that this is a really neat idea. It would be a break from the normal in-game grind(but the most fun a grind can be :wink: ), and it would bring the community together. The really exciting part is the possibilities of mini puzzles.

Some could require large groups of people cooperating to get, and others could be tied to natural events in the age which would create the need for explorers constantly patrolling the age for pages which might appear for a short bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:58 am 

World goals are awesome. I think that the basis of your idea is good, but that the details would certainly need to be streamlined. Also, no offense, but I want our first goal to be to relight the cavern! Glory to D'ni!

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:41 am 
Obduction Backer

That's a fantastic idea, Sudre. I also like Marentan's as well. I believe the DRC was trying to find a way to restore the bioluminescent algae in the D'ni lake prior to the ah.. 'closing of the cavern.'

Drawing inspiration from MMORPG 'quests,' it would be an interesting world event if explorers had to collect vials of algae for scientific study, search ages and complete puzzles in order to find ingredients for algae fertilizers or antipollutants (for lack of a better word), and to fertilize and/or purify different parts of the lake as part of the algae restoration efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:33 am 

This is an actually really great idea. Based on the fact that Uru is centralized on "community" the excitement of someone finding a new page would get the populous frenzied, until the day the final page is found, and then everyone will be gathered to enter the new age. Good stuff.

"Live together, die alone." - Jack Sheppard, LOST
KI# 00265224
Humble member of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni

http://vormaen.deviantart.com/
For scraps by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:46 am 

Awesome idea, Sudre! I can see us all trying to figure out the timing of visual “gates” -- like tides, or brief moments of light as a moon passes over a dark cave -- that give us a tantalizing glimpse of the goal (your metal capsule half-buried on a tidal flat is a killer image). The timings could have a pattern that is fiendishly difficult to predict, driving us all even nuttier (in a fun way). Once we’ve spotted the goal, we’d still have to figure out how to reach it before the tide came in and hid it or moved it to a random location on the beach. Or the goal could be constantly in motion -- in a pattern predictable only with difficulty, and requiring groups of people to be at pre-determined locations to nab it. This could combine the excitement of Preafter and group puzzle-solving, all in a small Age environment. Great idea -- a real keeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:08 pm 

wow thats just like in a book i was reading.
they found the books cover but the pages were all torn out, turns out they were hidden inside the covers of other books (or in our case it would be in the age)
this could be a way for cyan to let us enter a really special age

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:51 pm 

It's a really great idea, but there's one thing that I need to know before I can fully endorse it: Was that whole idea of books being able to be repaired by adding new pages glossed over as "artistic license"? Was the actuality of the fact that the Stranger found a Myst linking book lying around somewhere on Myst and took it with him to D'ni, instead of the game's view that the book Atrus already had was broken and the Stranger just repaired it with a missing page?

In short, was the ability to rejoin torn out pages retconned over?

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:24 pm 

dont think its artistic license. i mean Atrus did have a book in K'veer, so why not use it? though most likely it is artistic license. IN any case we've got our deus ex machina "yeesha did it!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:00 pm 

Of course Yeesha did it. I, for one, believe it.

I'm pretty sure RAWA confirmed that because Atrus only forgot a linking book once, ever (BoA), he brought what he had thought to be a functioning book to K'veer. Whether the Stranger fixed the book or brought another is, I think, uncertain, but I doubt the latter, as he had gotten used to finding books already within the Ages to which he travelled. He'd have found out about the ripped page via Channelwood and Stoneship. Which reminds me that I think the Channelwood page, or the imager, should have been on a different Age, because having two endgame clues on one Age with none on two Ages doesn't seem fair.

I still support this idea. Go Sudre!

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:09 am 

I thought of an idea like this once, except, the difference was that you'd just have to assemble a book on your own (by sticking the thing together and copying the right text into it). ...or, by repairin' a broken one...

But... making it a community effort would be awesome....

~Joey Boonkloonii

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:11 am 

I'm glad you all liked my idea. I hope Cyan will take a look at this. Could be lots of fun. Although I really don't want to go into real detail. I'd rather let Cyan run with it and be suprised by what I find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:53 am 
Obduction Backer

I like this idea as well and this thread. It seems rare these days that we all agree. A couple of things I'd like to see if this is implemented,
1. Being a "World Event", everyone should be able to participate at a time convenient to them. This does not need to be a major participation but I'd hate to see this book completed while half the world is sleeping.
Maybe making it a timed thing could work. IE: certain parts are only available during a specified time period so that we need the co-operation of every area of the community.
2. Each person should be required to participate in some manner to access the final result. This could simply be a last puzzle to unlock the book that others have gathered or following their trail to the final result.
3. I'd also like to be able to redo the entire book. This could lead to races between different groups that could be a lot of fun. (Maybe the time constraints in 1. would be removed for "cloned books") Also maybe the result might be just a bit different if the book was put together in a different order, like being upside down, or purple skies with rainbow clouds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 pm 

Ja'de wrote:
1. Being a "World Event", everyone should be able to participate at a time convenient to them.

I did not invision this being something that would be only for day time use. The pages could be found by anyone at any time. Like the tidal example, the tide would be go9ing in and out several time during the day and night so everyone from everywhere could get the page. Once that page was found, another ywould just take it's place.

Ja'de wrote:
2. Each person should be required to participate in some manner to access the final result.

That's why at first why I thought about making it a private age. But I think having it a public age might make it work better. The book being complete really would have nothing at all to do with how and who put how many pages in the book. That would just determine how much of the spoiler we would see. Kinda like the brother's messages in Myst. There would be NO set number of pages. It's just something for ppl to do waiting for Cyan to finish writing the age. I certainly don't want to have to wait for an age to be released just because Kimmy Come Lately hasn't logged on yet to do her part. When Cyan is ready to releae an age, just release it ASAP.
I certainly do not want the release on new material to be held up just because we are waiting for a particualr part of the world to wake up. Not to sound mean spirited but that's just strongly how I feel. If Cyan finishes an age at 3:30am my time, I would have no problems with them releasing it and the ppl over seas getting to see it first.
But I can see that this topic is about to turn into a heated debate...lol

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next