It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:16 am 

Someone suggested making donations towards specific goals, specific things.

The Minkata sparklie in particular - they want it fixed.

Let's make a list of all those things we want in Uru - not huge things but relatively small things that are realistic for Cyan to work on, starting with what we want most, then going down the list to things that are less important to us.

For example:

1) I want to see a method devised for converting Uru:CC fan ages into MO:ULagain. This is EXTREMELY important; it'd allow for a huge number of worlds to be added to the game.

2) I want usable documentation of that age conversion method and of the 3ds max plugins which normal fans (not only experienced programmers) can follow. The fans are working with the 3ds max tools right now by trial and error and struggling to understand them and make them function properly. It's a tedious, frustrating process. If Cyan has any documentation for how the plugins work, providing those documents might make the fan effort go faster.
(Incidentally, I'm handing out prizes to GoW members who can create good tutorials that are helpful for age creators.
People who can make sense of the 3ds max plugins or find ways to get fan ages into MO:ULagain, are especially deserving of prizes as those are two types of tutorials we desperately need.)

3) Server code released - but done in such a way that all the servers (official and fan-run) are connected to each other. This is a good idea in that it'll take some of the load off of Cyan's servers. The electricity alone is a big expense for Cyan Worlds, it's $400/year or more to run a single computer 24/7 for a year. How many computers do they have running there around the clock now that they've "beefed up" the servers? Hundreds? Maybe by letting fan servers handle some of the traffic, Cyan could save thousands of dollars in electricity and put the funds we donate to better use - making content.

4) Plasma engine, open-sourced. Let the fans look at the code and modify it, and create enhancements, upgrades, new features, etc. Cyan Worlds said they'd open source the game engine. So they should do so. I imagine a few new high-quality shaders and engine features could be beneficial to Uru.

5) Bug fixes that open up new gameplay. This includes the Minkata sparklie bug (which makes it irritatingly hard to collect all 12 sparklies), Ayoheek issues, and the bugs that are holding the Gahreseen wall back from being released.
Bug fixing is not easy - but these are bugs that if fixed, would lead to massive improvement in the game. Fix the Minkata sparklie and players will have all 12 sparklies and can get the fireworks. Fix the Ayoheek glitches and Gahreseen wall bugs, and you've got two fully functional, replayable minigames AND access to another section of Gahreseen. The more minigames, the less boredom in-game between content releases.

What about all of you? What do you hope Cyan will do next with Uru?

Would you like to see donations towards specific goals?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:35 am 

matthornb wrote:
The Minkata sparklie in particular - they want it fixed.

The bug has been known and fixed for a long time by fans and I believe Cyan has been informed on the nature of it - just a matter of time.

matthornb wrote:
I want to see a method devised for converting Uru:CC fan ages into MO:ULagain. This is EXTREMELY important; it'd allow for a huge number of worlds to be added to the game.

*cough*Drizzle*cough* If Dustin wants to do it.

matthornb wrote:
I want usable documentation of that age conversion method and of the 3ds max plugins which normal fans (not only experienced programmers) can follow. The fans are working with the 3ds max tools right now by trial and error and struggling to understand them and make them function properly. It's a tedious, frustrating process. If Cyan has any documentation for how the plugins work, providing those documents might make the fan effort go faster.
(Incidentally, I'm handing out prizes to GoW members who can create good tutorials that are helpful for age creators.
People who can make sense of the 3ds max plugins or find ways to get fan ages into MO:ULagain, are especially deserving of prizes as those are two types of tutorials we desperately need.)

Chogon as already posted some helpful documentation -even if quite incomplete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:10 am 

I'd like to see the Minkata sparkly fixed. I won't give a reason because this is a spoiler-free discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Susa'n wrote:
I'd like to see the Minkata sparkly fixed. I won't give a reason because this is a spoiler-free discussion.

Reason: it's broken

(sorry - horrible sense of humor!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:17 am 

I think that people have been spoiled enough already by telling them that there is supposed to be a sparkly in Minkata. ;-)

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 am 

matthornb wrote:
Let's make a list of all those things we want in Uru - not huge things but relatively small things that are realistic for Cyan to work on

3) Server code released

4) Plasma engine, open-sourced.

Once they've done that, the rest is up to us. Other things might be useful (e.g. PRP documentation), but ultimately that can be inferred from the source code. But none of that can happen unless and until the source code is released.

BTW, I wouldn't assume that more complete PRP documentation actually exists. With bespoke software, it's often more efficient to simply have the developers answer questions as and when they arise, rather than writing documentation which covers all possible situations (most of which will never arise in practice).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:16 am 

Susa'n wrote:

So it existing isn't a spoiler, but it being broken is?

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 pm 

chucker wrote:
Susa'n wrote:

So it existing isn't a spoiler, but it being broken is?

I think she means the reward you get for collecting all of them is a spoiler but right now there is no reward until the last one is fixed. But to be honest, I think the reward for collecting all of them is a little... disappointing?

EDIT: Oh. there is one thing you can add to that list OP...

[spoiler]Let's say it together on one, two, three... "We want Maintainer Suits, we want Maintainer Suits...[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:08 pm 

I made a list a while back here, in the Spoilers section if you are interested...

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 80&start=0

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

matthornb wrote:
The electricity alone is a big expense for Cyan Worlds, it's $400/year or more to run a single computer 24/7 for a year. How many computers do they have running there around the clock now that they've "beefed up" the servers? Hundreds?

Amazon is quite cheap for Cyan, compared to having their own servers at their headquarters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 pm 

DragonDream wrote:
I think she means the reward you get for collecting all of them is a spoiler but right now there is no reward until the last one is fixed. But to be honest, I think the reward for collecting all of them is a little... disappointing

I liked my theory that, when completed, calendar island would turn into one of these:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:11 pm 

IanWatson wrote:
DragonDream wrote:
I think she means the reward you get for collecting all of them is a spoiler but right now there is no reward until the last one is fixed. But to be honest, I think the reward for collecting all of them is a little... disappointing

I liked my theory that, when completed, calendar island would turn into one of these:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

well we already know it turns into.

[spoiler]Fireworks in your relto.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Konata wrote:
IanWatson wrote:
DragonDream wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

See that quote you had, did you read it? We do know what it turns into, but, the reward wad "disappointing" also, the theory /probably/ (i'm assuming) originates from back when we /didn't/ know what collecting all of them did. =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 pm 

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Konata wrote:
IanWatson wrote:
DragonDream wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

See that quote you had, did you read it? We do know what it turns into, but, the reward wad "disappointing" also, the theory /probably/ (i'm assuming) originates from back when we /didn't/ know what collecting all of them did. =P

Oh, I'm really sorry.. I misread it as "I like" not "I liked" =X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

hey, no worries, easy mistake. =)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next