It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: PORT TO LINUX
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:58 pm 

I wouldn't imagine this is too difficult, it's an open-source game, and Cyan can enlist the help of the community.
Besides, Steam is being made available for Linux, and realMyst has a Mac version.
Any opinions?

Post subject: Re: PORT TO LINUX
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:03 am 
Obduction Backer

sythe wrote:
I wouldn't imagine this is too difficult, it's an open-source game, and Cyan can enlist the help of the community.
Besides, Steam is being made available for Linux, and realMyst has a Mac version.
Any opinions?

Uru is not open source. There has been stated intent for it to become open source. At such time if and when the source is released, there is no doubt it will be ported.

Edit: reworded reply to be more helpful.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Last edited by Deledrius on Wed May 26, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PORT TO LINUX
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:05 am 
Obduction Backer

sythe wrote:
it's an open-source game

Fail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:07 am 

not even close to open-source. In theory it will happen someday, though.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:09 am 
Obduction Backer

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
it will happen someday

But don't hold your breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:11 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
PaladinOfKaos wrote:
it will happen someday

But don't hold your breath.

indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 am 

Welcome to the forums sythe! :)

Your suggestion is a very good idea. Not everything in MOULa has been open-sourced yet however. I think when more resources become available, this suggestion may become a reality. :)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:56 am 

Welcome sythe.

An Open Uru for Linux… I would guess it will eventually happen. There are some challenges, like getting Cyan to release the code and licenses. Because of the time it is taking you drew the negative replies you see here. Notice the names, signatures, and style of replies. Or click an individual’s Profile button then “Find All Posts By” link and check people’s past behavior. You’ll find it’s not really what you asked that is the problem.

PhysX is supplying the physics calcs for MOULa. For a couple of years I have seen some people talking about using PhysX on Linux. But the developers download page at nVidia is still not showing a Linux version. If I understand the nVidia licensing the code one would use to compile it is expensive. Only the PhysX binaries are free. Some think ODE may be a good open source replacement.

There is also a problem with DirectX. It also does not run on Linux without some help. I expect someone will eventually try to change out DirectX with OpenGL.

Both changes will take some time to happen. Until then I think Wine is about the only way Open Uru will run on Linux boxes. I’m a Linux novice, so… salt those thoughts.

There are several discussions here about changing the software. They go into detail about some of the issues with various changes.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Jamey: I'm afraid nothing has been open sourced yet. There has been no "open source" releases, yet. There have been two releases of "source data", but neither of these are in any way "open source", and with no license, they are also useless.

@Nalates: As for the Physics engine... PhysX is a difficulty, and, to be honest, I'd suspect it'll be stripped out in short order, either way, as the implementation in MOUL is sub-optimal, in any case.

Also, regarding OpenGL, that'd be /necessary/ for any non-windows clients... Installing DirectX in wine, does not make directX magically a linux program that you would run in a native client. it just means you can "run" it through Wine, much like the gametap-era MOUL "ran" on Macs, because of the Cider wrapper (it was actually the windows version, in a wrapper, not a real Mac version). This has nothng to do with porting, so it is irrelevant info for this discussion.

Wine is for the purpose of running windows native programs, not linux programs.

I suspect these will be some of the first changes we see, for reasons I can't really divulge. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:45 pm 

Actually, wine has something called "winelib" that lets you recompile windows sources so they run natively on Linux. It's a lot like Cider in that it's embedded in the executable, rather than a wrapper.

I don't know if any games on the scale of MOUL have ever been built using winelib, though. If anything, it's just a stopgap until OpenGL and a new physics engine (probably bullet) can be integrated.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:57 pm 

Although it's been a few years since they declared that URU would go open-source, I did notice that it hadn't happened.
Anyone heard of Blender? The company that created it went bankrupt, and in a VERY short period of time, the source code was released. Relating to video games, The Humble Indie Bundle, (4 proprietary games) went fully open-source in 2 weeks.
They could just stick the source under the GNU-GPL, right? And according to Wikipedia, the PhysX engine and SDK are freely available for Linux.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:24 am 
Obduction Backer

sythe wrote:
Anyone heard of Blender?

Funny you should ask that.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]