It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Artic_Wagon wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
Did you actually read those articles? They do not seem to match what is being reported here.

If the title of this thread is: Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Mouse Control Problem
then I believe that the link in my previous post is talking about that.

I was just able to upgrade to 1709 and can verify there is indeed a regression in that the OS appears to be warping the cursor back to the center of the client window when the cursor is hidden/LMB is pressed. You can test that by moving the cursor off center, clicking and holding, then releasing. It warps into the plane defined at the midpoint of the X axis**. More analysis incoming later.

EDIT: Apparently this only happens sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:38 am 
Obduction Backer

There is definitely some change in Windows' mouse stack that Uru does not play well with at all. Uru is trying to constrain the mouse cursor to the client's window in software, and this is triggering the bug. I managed to cobble together a wholly unsatisfactory patch that unfortunately allows the cursor to get close enough to the window edge that Windows won't send mouse click events anymore, so you get stuck walking or controlling the camera. Some more thought will be required here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Well, is it wholly a Windows issue or could it be a driver marginality issue? It seems like some folks had total mouse failure after the original Creators Update which sounds like it was down to driver incompatibility, while others just got lagginess. What I'm reading here appears to be a fairly specific case following 1709 (I'd assume that there was no apparent misbehaviour in any of the test cases that MS use). I'm just not clear how specific the conditions are.
I'm just wary about spending time developing a workaround if it turns out that a later driver update will clear the issue.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:43 am 
Obduction Backer

I already had this cursor problem in Uru games only (offline and online) with a previous Windows 10 update;
but another update, a very little few days after this one, removed the problem.

So, as I said, I'll wait for a new Windows 10 update to try again installing "1709" + the new update.
If no update before february, I'll install my new graphic card, and try to install 1709 in february.

P.S:
My mouse driver (all my drivers) is/are up to date.
But I'm not sure all my firmwares are up to date (I don't know how to check that and how to upgrade them).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

My machines all use Nvidia cards and I am using Logitech gaming mice. The computers are all Alienware (Dell). To my knowledge they do not use Nvidia motherboards. i have a G303 mouse on a laptop and a desktop. These machines are 2-4 years old. My main machine is an Aurora R5 (approx. 1 year old) using a G502 mouse. This machine has a GTX-1080 graphics card. The Nvidia graphics driver is up-to-date.

The interesting thing is all the machines are using Microsoft's mouse driver 10.0.16299.15 dated 6/21/2006. i am using Logitech's latest version of their gaming software. No where on Logitech's website do I see specific drivers for these mice. The only option offered is the software. I tried the mice with the the software and also with the software uninstalled. No difference..

I also have tried a "plain Jane" mouse with no change in the issue. Everything seems to point to Windows 1709. Hoping Adam comes up with something and/or Microsoft issues a fix very soon.

KI # 00009577

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:55 pm 

I have repaired a defective link in a previous post.

http://windowsreport.com/mouse-bugs-win ... pdate-fix/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:32 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

CaptainQuery wrote:
The interesting thing is all the machines are using Microsoft's mouse driver 10.0.16299.15 dated 6/21/2006. i am using Logitech's latest version of their gaming software. No where on Logitech's website do I see specific drivers for these mice.
That's not at all unusual these days - with the advent of USB (and probably PS2) mice, the interfaces all follow pretty similar patterns and a universal driver will work for almost all.
As I understand the issue that came up in relation to Nvidia, it wasn't a mouse driver change that was suggested, it was updating the chipset drivers for the motherboard. Windows can usually get by without the specific drivers for a motherboard (since they all generally conform to a standard) but in some cases they can optimise performance. Anyway, they often get overlooked - Windows Update sometimes suggests a new graphics driver, but I don't recall it ever suggesting a new chipset driver. But that may not be the issue affecting MOUL(a).

[Edit] No idea how relevant this is, but I note the following in the Nov 30 update to 1709 (KB4051963):
"•Addressed a performance regression when users run full-screen Microsoft DirectX 9 games and applications."

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good questions. Before I started investigating the code, I took time to upgrade all the drivers on my system. I have a Razer mouse, which uses Razer drivers. The mobo is from MSI, but I have a GTX 1080. The problem persisted after upgrading all the drivers. I also conducted some research on Windows' mouse API and discovered that there was a long standing bug in mouse coordinates. It was all very confusing, but the complaints I read sounded like they could enable Uru's mouse look and mouse movement to actually work. I think Microsoft fixed these bugs in build 1709.

BTW the H'uru codebase does not use DirectX's fullscreen support anymore, and I was tested in windowed mode anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I tried Uru offline in fullscreen mode and Uru online in windowed mode, the issue is here in both situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Windows 10 Family x64 Version 1709 OS build 16299.192 (January 3, 2018) :arrow: Issue still there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 am 

Same issue here. It showed up after the 1709 updates on Jan 5. Win 10 Home 64, GTX 1070, Logitech M100 mouse, all drivers current.

No problems on my Win7 machine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

A solution I proposed and which seems to have helped at least one person is to go into the game controls to the navigation settings. Click on the "advanced" button, and move the mouse sensitivity slider all the way to the right.

There are other controls there that might help, such as the "go to where I click" option.

The mouse bug primary affects people who use their mouse to move. If you use your keyboard to move and just use the mouse to select or activate, it's less of a bother.

I can't tell you which of the options works best because that never happened on either of the Windows 10 computers I run Uru on. A wild guess would be that the mouse drivers in the update may interact with certain video cards and the game to make the mouse too sensitive. The person who I first gave advice to didn't do anything with the mouse settings for the computer itself, so I don't know if anything there might help.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:40 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Just to satisfy my nagging curiosity, would someone with these symptoms on Windows 10 build version 1607 or later and who knows what they're doing please test this registry entry after saving its original value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\EdgeUI]
"AllowEdgeSwipe"=dword:00000000

It's also available via Group Policy:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Edge UI > Allow edge swipe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Oh geez, sorry about not saying anything more, but I kinda fell into a depression about the whole issue and just tried to escape and not think about it. I think I had an assumption in my mind that no one else would even understand what I was talking about here or even say much, especially after I found out someone else with Windows 10 didn't have the same issue as me...

The rising mouse-sensitivity thing does help some, still obnoxious of course. So I've just been trying to distract myself with other stuff. Don't go on Uru much anymore since this happened.

I attached so much importance to Uru, but now I can't navigate without frustration. It feels like the only way to get rid of this problem would be if Windows did an update to change cursor behavior back again. That's probably not likely to happen.

This is a huge step backwards. (Wish I knew how to do a registry entry...)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I tested JWPlatt's request using Group Policy on 2 different machines running 1709. Disabling EdgeUI had no positive results. The mouse issue persists. The only luck I have had is increasing the mouse sensitivity which helps a bit but leads to other issues. I don't like using the arrows but, for now, it may be the only solution for accurate control of the the avi. Still hoping for a solution......

KI # 00009577

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next