It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Is there a way to use urulive without having to use game tap? In other words can i play urulive without gametap (or a gametap account) alltogether? gametap seems like a pretty trashy way to get into uru live. If all i want is urulive and none of the other trash that gametap offers, what do i do!!??

under caffeinated,
Veovis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:07 am 

Sorry, I think you're stuck. :(

*walks away humming O Canada*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:37 am 

Sorry - those of us who live in the US of A have to subscribe to GameTap in order to get URU Live. But consider this - GameTap can't be too trashy. After all they are the ones who revived and are now sponcering URU Live. If it weren't for Turner/GameTap, this forum would not exist.

Your monthly subscription of $9.95 is what those outside the US will also be paying. You don't have to view anything else that GameTap offers if you don't want to. We don't know yet how we will be accessing URU Live - if it will be through the GameTap front end or if there will be a seperate way to get to it.

PS: Right now I'm playing Beyond Atlantis II on GameTap - an adventure game I missed when it first came out cause I didn't have a PC at the time. I just got through playing Zork: Grand Inquisitor. While their adventure collection is still a little sparce they are adding new (old) ones all the time. :wink:

PPS: Any online game company that offers Myst and Riven for your playing enjoyment can't be all bad - can it?

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Last edited by Kero on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:41 am 
Obduction Backer

i guess i could subscribe as if i were over seas.... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:01 am 
Obduction Backer

to quote goofy from "basic stupid question"..........................

Quote:
that last part still has be worried whether or not I will accually play. It's not that I have anything against gametap as a whole, but I don't want to have to start gametap and login to gametap wait for it to update(games I could careless about) and then wait for URULive to start and possibley have to login to URULive then again wait for URULive to update.

That will get very tiring after awhile. I just want to be able to start URULive and play it. I could careless about all the other games and other stuff on gametap. thats not what I want to play or see.

Now if they give a way to start URULive without starting game tap then I'd be fine with that. I just don't want to have to log in twice or have gametap running in the backgroup while I play.

sorry, but gametap is somewhat buggy and it bogs my system down alot. My system isn't that old and I have 4 gigs of ram on a amd athlon 64 FX-60 2.6ghz with raid. video is a radeon x800xl pci express 256. So its has to be gametap thats an issue. I've checked and recheck my system and even with my dual core I have issues with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Even though we will subscribe to GameTap here in the US, we've been told on several occasions by Cyan folks that Uru Live will be accessible OUTSIDE of the GameTap client/service.

GameTap is a resource hog. So is Uru Live. Both running together would (IMO) be a problem. Plus, Cyan and the GameTap folks are setting up a way for non-US customers to access Live. Most likely, it seems we will all log in to Live the same way through the same portal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:47 am 

But if you're gonna have to pay 9.95 anyways....why not get 500 other games too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Absolutely.

GameTap is quite a bit of fun in its own right!

I think the big concern with some folks is the fact the GameTap's system requirements are a little steep. Add that to Uru's system requirements and some are wondering if their computer would explode after starting GameTap and THEN Uru Live...

Can you say, "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag?"

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:00 am 

Oh you have to have gametap open while you play their games????? That's stinky. I have a new laptop that can handle it, but I know I would've gotten some serious lag on my old comp. And I am NOT lowering the graphics on this game. It would be too much a travesty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Reverend Vader wrote:
Even though we will subscribe to GameTap here in the US, we've been told on several occasions by Cyan folks that Uru Live will be accessible OUTSIDE of the GameTap client/service.

GameTap is a resource hog. So is Uru Live. Both running together would (IMO) be a problem. Plus, Cyan and the GameTap folks are setting up a way for non-US customers to access Live. Most likely, it seems we will all log in to Live the same way through the same portal.

:D :D :D YAY!!!!! THAT is what i wanted to hear!!!! :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:14 am 

I haven't heard anything to indicate that US residents will not have to use gametap to get to UL.

This is all I know:

1. There is a way to get to Uru Live without registering for gametap. Non-US residents will go this way.

2. Those in the US will have to register for gametap to access Uru Live.

I've heard absolutely nothing on how the startup process will begin. Is there such a statement from Cyan in a TH meeting or support FAQ?

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:26 am 
Obduction Backer

It was referenced in a few of the Town Hall meetings... Maybe someone else can collaborate my memory?

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:11 am 

If you did have to start the GameTap client to play Uru I can see why some people wouldn't want anything to do with it, but if it does turn out that you can access the Uru client outside of GameTap's program, I think it would be silly to pass up the GT subscription. I mean, you're paying the same price no matter which you do, so why not give yourself access to all those games? To just lump all 500 (and counting) of the titles GameTap offers together and collectively call them all trash is both silly and ignorant. There are many absolute classics on GT, including some of the other Myst games. What, being offered as part of GT suddenly makes them all garbage? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:21 am 

Here's simple logic (which may turn out to be faulty):
* If you have to have the Gametap client open
* And having the gameptap client open makes your computer go slow while running Uru
* A lot of people just won't bother playing Uru, right?
* That means that Turner's and Cyan's efforts with Uru will have a bigger chance of failing.
* Which neither company wants.
* So they'll make it so you don't have to have Gametap open
* And then USians can rejoice.
* However if having the gametap client doesn't slow down Uru
* what's the harm in having it open?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Rev, that rumour is bogus.

GameTap, US, UL

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next