It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

As a relative newbie to these forums I have to agree wholeheartedly with Aphex.

I'm sorry but I have to rant for a minute.. the hypocrisy present in these forums directed towards Gametap is downright astounding.

Do you want Uru to exist? Do you want Cyan to remain in business as a company? Do you want any chance of adventure games becoming a popular genre again?

If you answered "yes" to any of these, then you ought to be supporting Gametap, instead of bashing it.

Gametap is the sole reason that Uru Live exists, and also quite possibly the only reason Cyan Worlds is still in operation as a company after they briefly closed up shop previously.

Gametap is also becoming a major source of new quality adventure game content, both from Uru Live and from the Sam and Max series. They've also demonstrated interest in the genre in general with picking up games like The Last Express, the Zork series, Space Quest, King's Quest, the list just keeps going on and on..

This is a way for gamers who have never been exposed to adventure games to finally be able to, and for the genre to have new life breathed into it.

Trying to get Uru without getting Gametap is like trying to get Lord of the Rings without giving money to New Line Cinemas (which, by the way, is another Time Warner company). Its pretty dumb and pretty pointless.

The other big concern from people here is why they have to start up the client to access Uru. Quite simply, that's the rules of the game. You have to go to Netflix's website to find movies, you have to pull up your Tivo to get to the television shows you recorded, and you have to go through the Gametap client to get to Uru. Why can't they just let you put a straight shortcut to Uru on your desktop? Because Gametap also happens to be paying a lot of other people a lot of money to be able to bring THEIR games to you. Can you honestly blame them for wanting to make the most of THEIR investment.. or for that matter YOUR investment, since your membership fee allowed them to obtain all these other games?

Someone said they had hard drive space for it, but didn't want to be wasting space. Oh yeah? How about wasting money, because I'd say spending $9.95 a month to look at one game when you have access to over 700 is a bit of a waste, don't you? Would it really harm you so much to even LOOK at the other stuff that YOU PAID FOR? That's like buying a cable TV subscription and locking out everything except for the Discovery Channel.

It's not like the moment you log into Gametap that you are suddenly besieged with car commercials and soda ads, all they are showing you is what your hard-earned money (and theirs) has brought you. I for one appreciate that they are trying to get users more bang for their buck. Don't want to hear it? You can turn it off with one mouse click.

As also previously noted in this thread, once you have Uru Live installed via Gametap, it is an extremely simple affair to get to it, and can be done with one or two clicks.

True Myst and Uru fans would know that one of the main reasons the D'ni civilization fell is because of arrogance and closed-mindedness. These same traits are being shown by people putting up a fuss over Gametap. Will arrogance and closed-mindedness be the downfall of Uru Live as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:56 am 

Yeah but when they lock out users who can play the game for no good reason I think we're allowed to complain. I run Windows XP x64 Pro edition, its been around for a while now and companies are slowly creating x64 bit versions of their software to run on it. However the really key thing about it, is its runs everything happily from Windows XP SP2. The only issues are when someone has tried being too specific and misses the path c:\program files x86\ Gametap should run fine, unless they are trying to hook into the kernal, or do some mighty dodgy stuff which they shouldn't.

Then when other Xp x64 users have tried contacting support they have been told its a "fake OS" which they don't plan to support. Whats there to support? Its pretty much XP but with an updated kernal. As for "fake os" sorry thats an arrogant attititude which needs attacking, its not a 'fake os' it was an OS released because AMD have been doing 64bit chips for a few years and Microsoft didn't want to lose out on the 64bit OS market. I can still buy it in the shops today and software/drivers written for it today all (excusing creatives badly written monstrosities) work perfectly.

I put up with that attitude from Avermedia, I've had it from Belkin, Hercules, Cannon and Hewlett Packard. These companies had to write entirely new drivers for me and they did after much organised whining, GT don't have to anything except make a change in their installer, and main app. One thats not hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:18 am 

Thank you for all the steam. Very soon I will be able to "re-activate" my small steam loco, :wink:

:lol: 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

macnbc wrote:
Trying to get Uru without getting Gametap is like trying to get Lord of the Rings without giving money to New Line Cinemas

New Line didn't get a dime from my copy of the LotR book. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:37 pm 

I signed up with gametap, in preperation of urulive, and then downloaded myst and riven (3 hour download) and neither would play on my system. I have a good- middle to top of the line system w/ broadband- so I have my worries about urulive running. I sure hope they have it seperate or there are going to be a lot of probs for people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

candicolette wrote:
I signed up with gametap, in preperation of urulive, and then downloaded myst and riven (3 hour download) and neither would play on my system. I have a good- middle to top of the line system w/ broadband- so I have my worries about urulive running. I sure hope they have it seperate or there are going to be a lot of probs for people.

i have bouth of the games on cd and they will not play on my system so i have not tried to play them with game tap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:16 pm 

Yes, I agree with Rusty, I listened and read the logs very carefully on all the meetings that they talked about GameTap and tho they did mention some people will be able to play as visitors in basic form of URU, it will not have the full content, and USA people will HAVE to go through GameTap period. No alternatives that I ever heard of. Yes, people in most inernational places will have an alternative but as soon as GameTap makes agrements with those places, they too will have to come through GameTap I think. But I am quite sure like Rusty say, no way in the USA to get in to Full MO URU other than GameTap.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

candicolette wrote:

This has very little to do with GameTap and a great deal to do with your system. The versions of Myst and Riven available from GameTap require Quicktime 6, and do not seem to play nicely with Quicktime 7 (and there's little GameTap can do about this... they simply host the games they're given by the original publisher - in this case, UbiSoft). Please do not take the failure of any one (or two) games to be indicative of the performance of GameTap in general. GameTap is simply a delivery system. They provide content originally developed and produced elsewhere (with the exception of Uru Live and Sam & Max), and while every effort is made by both the original publisher and GameTap to ensure system compatibility, computers are always more complex than even the most thorough QA team, and invariably, problems will arise.

I feel I should stress that GameTap is used as a delivery and access system only... even for games like Uru Live. The game's ability to run is, in my experience, in no way dependent upon it being delivered through GameTap, because GT launches the same game application that would be used if it had been bought at retail (the exception, of course, being for emulated console games, but that's beside the point I'm making).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:12 pm 

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I thought it'd be fun to reiterate what you basically just said, apparently.

candicolette wrote:

Did you look for help? I typed just "myst" on GameTap's help page - and lo and behold, there's a link to the version of Apple's Quicktime that will let Myst and Riven run - but from the way the sentence is worded, it's almost as if you tried to run the game, it didn't work, and you gave up.

So much for puzzles and problem-solving.

I mean, -right- there, first hit in the search - there's your answer. Just because you did not take twenty seconds to check the help site does not mean that it's the provider's problem. It's how the game was put together. Myst = Qucktime 6.5.2. That's just the way it is.
At least they are nice enough to have a direct link on the help site to those with the motivation to go to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Yes, people in most inernational places will have an alternative but as soon as GameTap makes agrements with those places, they too will have to come through GameTap I think.
In January 2007 the UK will run URU Live via GameTap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:21 am 

Artic_Wagon wrote:

Hey, isn't that the Hogwart's Express??

Didn't mean to hijack, but I'm a HP obsessor as well! heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:21 am 

I see what Steve's saying; that GameTap refuses to support XP x64 (why not is beyond me...), but other than that, GameTap is a very good program. I honestly don't see the problem with using the client (unless, again, you're in Steve's situation). It's really not as bad as everyone was making it out to be.

This isn't UbiSoft, guys. The people at Turner are helping bring back Live. We should be thankful for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:25 am 
Obduction Backer

aphexmandelbrot wrote:
I thought it'd be fun to reiterate what you basically just said, apparently.

Did you look for help? I typed just "myst" on GameTap's help page - and lo and behold, there's a link to the version of Apple's Quicktime that will let Myst and Riven run - but from the way the sentence is worded, it's almost as if you tried to run the game, it didn't work, and you gave up.

So much for puzzles and problem-solving.

I mean, -right- there, first hit in the search - there's your answer. Just because you did not take twenty seconds to check the help site does not mean that it's the provider's problem. It's how the game was put together. Myst = Qucktime 6.5.2. That's just the way it is.
At least they are nice enough to have a direct link on the help site to those with the motivation to go to it.

Actually, its easier than that. When you click to download Myst or Riven in Gametap a little alert window comes up warning you that they are incompatible with Quicktime 7. There's also a little alert button on the info screen for the games that says the same thing. You don't even have to go to the support site to find out that's the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:15 am 

@ Taltos,

I have sent you a pm re: locomotive infos. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Who was it that said, "The friends of my friends are my friends?" I think it applies here. We're here because we're nuts about Cyan's games; in particular, Uru. The only way that we can enjoy Uru will be through GameTap.

It's been my great privilege to speak with Rand Miller, Ryan Miller, Josh Staub, Richard Watson, and Ryan (Greydragon) Warzecha, in interviews for The Cavern Today, and personally while at Mysterium '06. The overall impression I got is that they are absolutely committed to GameTap, and not only because the GT affiliation will paying their salaries when Uru goes Live. They see GameTap as fellow gaming enthusiasts -- and longtime Myst fans -- who just happen to have the money, the desire, and the infrastructure, to make their (Cyan's) dreams come alive long after they were presumed dead. Among the VIPs at Mysterium were Trent Hershenson of GameTap, as well as Randomos (Ron Meiners), and Eric Large. They made it abundantly clear that they see Uru as much more than just a cash cow... that they understand Uru, and want very much to see it succeed as originally intended. These are pleasant, articulate, intelligent guys who are exerting great effort and expense to bring Uru to us, and to keep Cyan alive. The very last thing I'd do would be to throw out the entire idea because I don't like their program's menu, or that I see them as cogs in the big imperialist machine, if there is such a thing. They are enthusiasts just as we are, but unlike us, they're actually in the position to make Uru work. I wish them all my best!

So, the friends (GameTap) of my friends (Cyan) are my friends. Simple as that. I have no qualms about accessing Uru through the GameTap client.

Mowog

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next