It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:28 am 

Is it possible that you won't need the gametap software running to run Uru Live? yes! what Cyan and Gametap can do is setup the logon to logon to the Gametap application's database of users (may not use the actual gametap software BUT gametap will have control of the accounts and servers. Stuff like this is done all the time. what may happen is that there will be coding in the software to point the user's logon to the Gametap database (as if they were logging into the gametap software) basically implanting the login portion of the gametap software into the game itself).

Its similar to Point of Sale software at stores now. The Software Engineers use another company's software as the basis for their software (like credit card processing in the software) you don't need to be running the CC company software running on the terminal to process transactions because the software coding is embedded into the other software.

As for those outside countries using Gametap, They may login to a Database at Cyan's headquarters (Gametap will handle the logon for countries they are running in and then allow the game to start up and connect to Cyan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hello Klaxen and welcome to the boards,

This approach has been debated over the course of this thread. While I'm sure it is technically possible, this is not what is planned as far as we know, most likely because it is not in Gametap's best interest to segregate Uru Live from the rest of their games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:49 am 

The only thing I can't understand is why Gametap would care at all whether we use the normal client to access Live or just a gametap login. We'd be paying the same monthly fee either way, right?

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:26 am 

@ Owehn

Lets say "you" wanted to buy a GM Impala and went to a GM dealer. Would you expect to see only Impalas in their showroom ?
:lol: :mrgreen: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:15 am 

I agree with macnbc and Artic_Wagon. Uru is supposed to attract people to GameTap, and it would hardly be a good promotional tool if people could play it without having to look at GT's service. If somebody tries Uru and doesn't like it, GT wants them to know about all the other games that might get them to sign up anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:32 pm 

I didn't think I would like the GameTap service, but I have to admit that I like playing all the old games they've got. Bought an Atari Flashback, but it didn't have any of the games I remembered as a kid. GameTap (for all their pros and cons) actually has them, plus a bunch that I never got a chance to play. Saw the trailer for "Murder on the Orient" in my original Myst package, but never saw it in stores. Finished it last night on GameTap.

Plus, I've replayed the first three Myst games without having to install them separately or change 1 frickin' cd (Riven, anyone?). So, I kinda like the GameTap service.

'Oh, Thaddeus...!" -- Cora Templeton Massingale (still, very drunk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:57 am 

Stevecrox wrote:
Yeah but when they lock out users who can play the game for no good reason I think we're allowed to complain. I run Windows XP x64 Pro edition, its been around for a while now and companies are slowly creating x64 bit versions of their software to run on it. However the really key thing about it, is its runs everything happily from Windows XP SP2. The only issues are when someone has tried being too specific and misses the path c:\program files x86\ Gametap should run fine, unless they are trying to hook into the kernal, or do some mighty dodgy stuff which they shouldn't.

Considering that GameTap is a content delivery service, much like Vongo, iTunes, or Steam, I feel it would be a safe assertion to say that they ensure others can not access or tamper with the game files directly. That being said, services such as Charter On Demand use at least one third party encryption and verification service that I know of. Considering that Windows XP Professional x64 Edition was released to RTMs on 4.25.05, I'd be willing to assume that the issue doesn't rest on GameTap's inability to produce a functional x64 product - but in some other extenuating factor.

As a x64 user, you must admit that the releases of formerly incompatible code have been, at times, very slow. Between beta drivers, beta patches, and beta betas - it's been sort of a rough ride for those looking forward to an x64 native OS. Stated previously, there would be no conceivable way that those in the upper ranks of GameTap are unaware of compatibility issues with the software and Win.XP.Pro.x64. The general idea of such a service is to provide the largest number of people possible - with the largest selection of games that can be acquired - and offer something worthwhile. I would only consider this an "intentional" thing of "refusing" to support x64 if an error prompt populated upon download reading something to the general extent of, "FATAL ERROR in GameTap.exe: You will not be running this application, you 12-Stage-Pipeline Nerd".

Stevecrox wrote:
Then when other Xp x64 users have tried contacting support they have been told its a "fake OS" which they don't plan to support. Whats there to support? Its pretty much XP but with an updated kernal. As for "fake os" sorry thats an arrogant attititude which needs attacking, its not a 'fake os' it was an OS released because AMD have been doing 64bit chips for a few years and Microsoft didn't want to lose out on the 64bit OS market. I can still buy it in the shops today and software/drivers written for it today all (excusing creatives badly written monstrosities) work perfectly.

No offence toward your sources, but I can not imagine that anyone would state that x64 is a "fake OS". As for "don't plan to support", I'm told that "x64 Windows is not currently supported". "Whats there to support"? Changes to user account access privileges, changes to the way that some programs address memory, and drivers. Of all the people that I would expect to have some sympathy toward driver support for x64, a user of the OS would rank pretty high up there. There are multiple Microsoft articles on changes that programmers will need to anticipate with x64 and Vista - and there are a fair number of changes. It's not as if the Dev team at Redmond sat around a table looking at XP Pro - shrugged - and slapped a few extra lines into the kernel allowing it to address larger allocations of physical and virtual memory.

As of 4/04 - though x64 was supposed to already be out and running along-side the Clawhammers - it was already being pushed back to Q4 of 2004 - which later turned into Q2 of 2005. WOW64, Buffer Overflow Protection (non-DEP related, as that came about in SP2, then Win.Serv.2003.SP1), SSE/SSE2 registers in x64 floating-point calculations, adjustments to Active Directory - the list goes on. As for "Its pretty much XP with an updated kernel" - the correction to that would be "It(')s pretty much Windows Server 2003 (SP1)".

I'm -honestly- not trying to be Mr. Intraweb Smar.T.Pants, in the least. If anything, just consider it as playing devil's advocate.

Stevecrox wrote:
I put up with that attitude from Avermedia, I've had it from Belkin, Hercules, Cannon and Hewlett Packard. These companies had to write entirely new drivers for me and they did after much organised whining, GT don't have to anything except make a change in their installer, and main app. One thats not hard.

Unless you know the full process that the program goes through to run, don't you feel it is somewhat unfair assume that someone can just snap their fingers and make it work. There is a wide difference between "attitude" and what appear to be simply complications.

Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:46 am 

BrettM wrote:
I agree with macnbc and Artic_Wagon. Uru is supposed to attract people to GameTap, and it would hardly be a good promotional tool if people could play it without having to look at GT's service. If somebody tries Uru and doesn't like it, GT wants them to know about all the other games that might get them to sign up anyway.

Thanks - that makes sense. I suppose I had been assuming that if someone bought Gametap solely to play UruLive, they wouldn't back out of it. But then again, that's just me, and certainly doesn't have to describe everyone.

On the other hand, I still think it should be made an option to be able to launch certain favorite games from the desktop (submitted this as a suggestion several months ago). At the moment, I can get directly to My Favorites without needing to browse the library - this would be the same except without the elaborate client startup, and replaced with a simpler login procedure.

KI# 45434

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9