It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:13 am 

I'm with Chuck, I'd love to have Gametap. Plus I have a gig of ram ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:25 pm 

Maratanos wrote:

If you don't understand why you can't play GameTap, then YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND YOURSELF, because YOU are the one who is saying you can't play GameTap. I'm almost CERTAIN that you could, in fact, play Uru Live through GameTap, unless you're being very misleading about how crappy of a computer you have. Let's face it. You don't want to do what it takes to play, despite what you may be telling us.

Don't try to blame it on other people.

Um, can you not tell the diffrence between "don't want to" and "can't"? I have a dual core 3G pc with 2G of RAM and almost a terabyte of drive space. I CAN run GameTap's client, I just don't want to. Please try reading my entire post before you start insulting me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:25 pm 

Wolfie, I want to understand your position. I really do.

Please tell me, in small, simple words, exactly why you do not want to use Gametap to access Live. Please do not give analogies - they are useless in this problem. Please do not say how you'd rather it be - the situation is as it is. (Though if you have a constructive suggestion for how to make gametap better, you can submit it to Gametap Suggestions, or post it here, and I'll relay it.)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:25 pm 

Wolfie wrote:
I just don't understand why that can't be.

Explain this, then.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Just to let evern one know it has been some last time i was on GameTap they did not have ABM, have not been around much and just found out you can play ABM with GameTap.

i played ABM with GameTap and my CPU usage was 90%

i then play my own copy of ABM CPU usage 92%

the amount on memory used was about the same 2-5 k more with GameTap.
the CPU usage was the max not that way all the time so somethin else running on my computer may have made ABM without GameTap hit 92%

so i do not think there will be much of an impact on the computer with the GameTap Clent running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:56 am 

Thanks for that comparison, MercAngel. It seems that several people don't realize that GameTap not only minimizes while you are running a game, but also goes into a kind of "sleep mode."

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Very nice find, mszv, for making suggestions to GameTap as a non-subscriber. And good points, Ahlamnat, about how we couch any such suggestions and constructive comment.

And while it has been said, I think it bears repeating, the business arrangements between Cyan and Turner/GT are viewed by them both as mutually benficial. And those arrangement involve having to go through GameTap, where it is available, to get to play URU Live. We have known that for a good long while now.

But certainly it is OK for URU fans and supporters who do not like GameTap to plumb the depths of their feelings and determine if they do not like it enough, whatever the reasons, or for no reason, to give up their sole path to URU Live. It's just a matter of preference and taste. And if they find they just can't take going through GameTap, so be it. I can certainly respect that.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:31 am 

Okay, let me get this straight....
Do we have to be subscribed to GameTap in order to beta test UL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:37 am 

Orrin_Jelo wrote:
Okay, let me get this straight....
Do we have to be subscribed to GameTap in order to beta test UL?

No.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:53 am 

chucker wrote:
Stevecrox wrote:
In the age of of the 500gb hard drive and 300gb 2.5" notebook drive, is 220mb a big deal?

Let's not exaggerate. There is no such thing as a 2.5-inch drive with 300 GBs of capacity. At 7200 RPM, the highest capacity is currently 100 GBs. At 5400 RPM, 120 GB drives are somewhat widespread; 160 GB ones are still a little rare. There's a 4200 RPM 200 GB drive announced but not available, plus that's too slow for most users.

I do agree with your premise, though. 220 MBs don't really matter that much.

ummm then my hard drive is an illusion and I think he meant 3.5 fyi.

This is both of my raided drives http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148134

:roll: I've had these drives for acouple days now and have no problems with them. I also have 2 external usb 2.0 drives ones 7200rpms 160 gig and other is a old 80 gig 7200.

Might want to look around some ;) or did you mean something else?

Also on the accessing URUlive without gametap. Well all I want is URUlive. I really don't want all that other stuff no matter what they offer. Now if I could completely disable everything on the gametap client and only have URULive come up then I'd be a happy camper. Just as long as I don't have to see anything that has nothing to do with URUlive.

Sorry, but thats all I want.

leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:56 am 

goofy wrote:
chucker wrote:
Stevecrox wrote:
In the age of of the 500gb hard drive and 300gb 2.5" notebook drive, is 220mb a big deal?

Let's not exaggerate. There is no such thing as a 2.5-inch drive with 300 GBs of capacity. At 7200 RPM, the highest capacity is currently 100 GBs. At 5400 RPM, 120 GB drives are somewhat widespread; 160 GB ones are still a little rare. There's a 4200 RPM 200 GB drive announced but not available, plus that's too slow for most users.

I do agree with your premise, though. 220 MBs don't really matter that much.

ummm then my hard drive is an illusion and I think he meant 3.5 fyi.

Seeing as he wrote "notebook drive", no, I think he did mean 2.5. Notebooks with 3.5-inch drives are somewhat rare. ;)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:59 am 

EEEK ewww laptops. can't do laptops. ;) I don't hate them, but theres really nothing you can do with a laptop. I like modding computers and laptops are very limited on what you can do.

I also like to build my own computers and I can't build a laptop from parts.

leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:47 pm 

I would be useing gametap if I could, as I like retro games. They weren't retro when I first played them on my C64. But I am running x64, so gametap is out of the question for me right now. I'm not sure I want to get Vista, which may or may not work with gametap anyway, and dual booting xp... well, I may if I have to to play Uru when it goes live, I dunno. I sure hope we'll be able to enjoy Uru without gametap, tho. I wouldn't even mind sending them my 10 bucks if I could just skip the front end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:53 am 

This is honestly not intended as flame-bait in any sense, I just thought I'd respond to a few things that caught my attention.

Spats wrote:
I would be useing gametap if I could, as I like retro games. They weren't retro when I first played them on my C64. But I am running x64, so gametap is out of the question for me right now. I'm not sure I want to get Vista, which may or may not work with gametap anyway, and dual booting xp... well, I may if I have to to play Uru when it goes live, I dunno. I sure hope we'll be able to enjoy Uru without gametap, tho. I wouldn't even mind sending them my 10 bucks if I could just skip the front end.

Windows 64 bit support stands as a known issue and is being addressed - the same can be said for Vista support. Considering the number of people who, especially after Yule, will be able to run a 64-bit OS - I'd be willing to bet that it rests as a pretty important priority. Personally, I would expect Windows 64 bit support before Vista - but that's just general speculation based on how long it generally takes for an OS to propagate out in the wild. It is a large OS, requires a fairly decent system for full Aero support, and I expect the general public will be quite content with XP for another 6-7 months. More than one video card that supports DX10 would be appreciated, as I'm not overly fond of the DX9.0L set-up (that part is more personal opinion, though).

goofy wrote:
(...)Also on the accessing URUlive without gametap. Well all I want is URUlive. I really don't want all that other stuff no matter what they offer. Now if I could completely disable everything on the gametap client and only have URULive come up then I'd be a happy camper. Just as long as I don't have to see anything that has nothing to do with URUlive.

So, someone offers you access to around 700 games (not exclusively only "retro" games - games like FarCry and Silent Hill II, as well) and you still want no part of it?
I don't know what to offer you at that point, excluding a shrug. If you do not want to enjoy the features (Full episodes of various Adult Swim content, coverage of the E3 conferences as they were going on, etc.) - then I offer you the option of simply not using them. Install the client, use the Search ring to find Uru - and play. Videos will play while the download is going; however, if you tell it to download in the background - or minimize, that shouldn't be a problem - and the content streams.
It just comes across as somewhat closed-minded to express disdain toward the very service that will allow you to play the game that you cherished and long to return to.

Veovis wrote:
i am going to pe paying from an over seas bank account!

well i have solved my problem... how about you guys!!!

Glad to see that running a game through a client is cumbersome enough for such drastic measures to be taken. Of course, this then brings into account the words "am going to". Considering that UL has yet to reach Live status, the ability to do this remains at speculation.
If everything does work for you, glad to hear it - your motivation to resolve a non-issue based exclusively on personal preference is astounding.

SCGreyWolf wrote:
My point is simple: I don't want to watch GT's video content. I don't want to play any of the other games that they offer. I don't want to install a big client. I don't care how much hard drives cost, I have plenty of drive space, but that doesn't mean I want to fill it up for no reason. There are plenty of programs out there that create blank files if I wanted to do so.

My points are equally simply. If you don't want to watch the content that you very well may enjoy: don't. If you do not want to play the other games that are offered: don't - they aren't installed on your hard drive natively upon installing GameTap. How much hard drives cost is somewhat irrelevant under the circumstance that you have enough space - which you have stated is the case. Now, in the sense of "fill it up for no reason" - would you consider the process in which you launch URU something unworthy of installation? And where does the "create blank files" idea come from? In the past year and a half that GameTap has been around - do you not think that the client has undergone numerous revisions to ensure that the code becomes progressively lean?

SCGreyWolf wrote:
I fail to understand why they can't leave this as a login option and simply have the launcher validate your account against GT's user database.

- GameTap is a service that offers games to those interested.
- One accesses these games by downloading/installing the GT client and selecting a game.
- GameTap updates the library with new games on a weekly basis.
- UL will be added to GameTap library.
Ergo:
- To access UL, a GameTap game, you will have to download the client, install, and then select URU from within the console.
It also doesn't hurt to support the service that allowed for this to happen.
When the new Sam and Max was released, the response was pretty positive from the various gaming rags. Furthermore, people looked forward to supporting the people who made it possible (with hopes that other Lucas games would soon follow). It's not that I fail to understand the root of displeasure - I see the perspective you are coming from; however, I do not understand being unwilling to concede that this will be a game on GameTap, accessible through GameTap's client, and that to "simply have the launcher validate your account against GT's user database" is probably harder to put into place than you assume - not excluding the fact that it sort of negates the entire premise of having an exclusive game that is available through a service.

SCGreyWolf wrote:
I don't want to feed the Time Warner conglomerate for no reason.

No reason? But they... and it's back.. and now you can... - Right on. Rage against the machine, brother.

This is going to be a good thing. The game we thought so much of is on the way back - and it will be part of a library featuring a slew of other content that you may or may not be interested in. If you are interested, you made out pretty well: Uru Live, and then if you're in the mood, maybe a little Serious Sam (Second Encounter, 1, or 2) or Descent (I, II, III, Freespace) after? If you are not overly thrilled with the rest of the content offered - that's perfectly acceptable, too. After downloading Uru, it should be available for you to select and start with one or two clicks from that point forward - so your actual interaction with the other content will be limited.

In closing: lighten up - and then wait until UL is put into production before jumping to a conclusion about the injustice of accessing it from within a client. GameTap has offers available for free trials - why not circumvent the needless grumbling through waiting for the release, trying it through the client, and then making a decision?
You know, the informed kind?

Last edited by aphexmandelbrot on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:03 am 

Good post, aphex, and welcome to the forum.

I too am very happy that Turner/Gametap is supporting Cyan and bringing back Uru Live. I will be content to go through the gametap client to get to Live. However, I still don't understand what benefit gametap gains by not allowing any of their games to be launched from the desktop - even with a gametap login required. I submitted it as a suggestion in their suggestion box, and I suppose that's all I can do.

KI# 45434

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next