It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 pm 

Snow Leopard: 10.6.4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:13 pm 

Hi,

I've just recently installed the macports cider version of Myst Online. Three issues:
    1. Each time I start the game it asks me to agree to the license. Is there a way to tell it to remember that I've agreed?
    2. Speaking of remembering. It always drops me into the beginning of the story, though it is remembering stuff in my book and elsewhere. Any way to get it to remember where I was when I quit the previous session?
    3. Sound is fine through the speakers, but when I plugged in the Logitech USB headset, the playback speed slowed dramatically to an unintelligible growl.
None of them are deal-breakers, but I'd like to fix them if I can. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

1. You always have to agree. It's this way on Windows and Mac. I guess it's Cyan's way of really making sure people know the TOS for the game (plus it was probably the way it was back in the Gametap era)
2. You will always start at relto. The closest thing to remembering your progress would be journey markers.
3. I'm not sure about this one... are you plugging in the headphones while playing or before? Does it make a difference when they're plugged in?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:14 pm 

tanshin wrote:
1. You always have to agree. It's this way on Windows and Mac. I guess it's Cyan's way of really making sure people know the TOS for the game (plus it was probably the way it was back in the Gametap era)
2. You will always start at relto. The closest thing to remembering your progress would be journey markers.
Thanks. Good to know. Now I can stop worrying that something was installed wrong.
tanshin wrote:
3. I'm not sure about this one... are you plugging in the headphones while playing or before? Does it make a difference when they're plugged in?
I plugged in before I started. But honestly, I've only used the headset with my Linux boxes previously. So, I'll have to see how they behave with other Mac applications. I noticed there were two MO:UL audio configuration possibilities, one hardware and one software. I think software was the default, so I left it alone. But maybe I'll experiment with that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, changing the audio mode may help, and it will also probably help to know how the headphones respond with other programs. Perhaps MOUL has issues with USB audio devices... but I doubt that since I believe people use USB headsets for audio chat just fine (on Windows that is).

Post subject: Thanks Rainbow
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:31 am 

Hey Rainbow,

The solution to my problem was to delete the Myst Online Settings folder in the Library folder. Thanks.

- Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tesseract wrote:
The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

Hi Tesseract,

What is the adjustment you have to make? I've been trying to run this under Windows XP running in VMWare Fusion, but I'm having some issues. Namely, when I open a book like a linking book or journal it's just black inside -- can't read anything. If I can get the Mac client to work that would be much better.

Thanks

Never-mind, I found the information.

Last edited by Mystic_Writer on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mystic_Writer wrote:
Tesseract wrote:
The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

What is the adjustment you have to make?

Please see:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 072#315072

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:04 pm 

rainbow wrote:
Tesseract wrote:

Indeed you're right! Thanks for the tip. Here's exactly how to get it working:

UPDATE 4/10/2010: You can now install Myst Online quite easily on an Intel Mac using MacPorts:

1. Download and install MacPorts and Xcode. Make sure you get the correct versions for your version of Mac OS X.

I'm wondering if there's a faster yet easy to understand way to download Xcode. I'm in the process of downloading it but it looks like it's going to take 6-8 hours to complete through my DSL connection. Not familiar with torrent but willing to learn if someone is willing to help with clear instructions.

Also, wondering if this will then allow me to play Myst online? Hate to go through all this just to find out that it's not going to work to allow some online play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

XCode can be installed off your original Mac OS X install disc, if I recall correctly.

And I've installed the MacPorts Cider version after using the manual Cider version. Both work great, though the MacPorts one is nicer (aside from having to use sudo to install it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm in the process of switching over to a new Macbook and the Macports version gave me a "No disk space available error" however the manual process worked fine.

I'd just like to say that MOUL runs fantastically on the 15 in MBP with the i7 processor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:03 pm 

Found XCodes on the disc and was able to install it in less than 10 minutes. Much better than 7-8 hours. Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great! Enjoy Uru!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:25 pm 

We're getting closer. Next question, maybe the last?:
Quote:
2a. To install Myst Online using the old GameTap Cider wrapper, type

Code:
sudo port install mystonline-cider

Where do I type this? I'm thinking I need to open XCode but since I've not used it before, not sure how to proceed though I'm pretty good at following instructions if anyone cares to offer them.

Thanks for the help so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

You would type that in the Terminal app from an administrator account. The easiest way to get to Terminal is to hit Command-Spacebar and type "Terminal" into the Spotlight search box. Once Terminal comes up, just copy and paste that command in and let it roll.

(This is all assuming you have MacPorts installed already, by the way.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next