It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 am 

I have numerous problems with the Cider wrapper. Firstly, my keyboard layout has been changed to AZERTY; secondly, I am unable to see avatars (including my own) in their entirety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

It works! I got on for a few minutes about twenty minutes ago, and then got off to reload some settings. Now I can't get the patcher to load.

But it works! No problems with the Cider wrapper here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 pm 

I'm stuck at download patch...

what can i do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

The file server seems to be going up and down today. If you're stuck at checking for updates or downloading patcher, it's probably because the server's offline. Try again in a while, hopefully things will smooth out as we go along... they've been getting progressively better over the past day or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I finally got in! Have tried for days to update and nothing happened, then suddenly 9 pm tonight it started loading. I didn't dare cancel, and it took two hours to completely update and then I was in! I was shocked. I've only just created my avatar and then quit.

But I just wanted to thank Rainbow for your great instructions and help. And to tell all you other Mac users to persevere! For days, every time I hit the updater nothing happened, until, finally it did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 pm 

Cyan has repackaged the installer so that all files comes with it to take load off of the game server. I wonder what that means for trying to use the Cider wrapper. Will it no longer be able to fetch the missing files from the game server. Can the Win files from te Windows launcher be used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:12 am 

I've done everything rainbow instructed for running Myst Online on OS X and the Updater comes up but it never goes past Checking for patcher update… . Is there something I can do to troubleshoot this? Is it a matter of reopening it randomly or should I leave it open for days?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:38 am 
Obduction Backer

rainbow wrote:
Tesseract wrote:
The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

Indeed you're right! Thanks for the tip. Here's exactly how to get it working:

1. Download the old Mac client from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder -- or, if you played MO:UL years ago and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again.

2. Replace UruLauncher.exe in /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live with the new copy.

Where do you get the new copy of UruLauncher.exe? I got it by downloading the current MO:ULagain installer for Windows and running it in Wine. This will install UruLauncher.exe into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Uru Live and you can copy it from there into the Myst Online application. If installing Wine just to get UruLauncher.exe is too much trouble, send me a private message and I can send you just that file.

Once you have the new UruLauncher.exe, how do you put it inside Myst Online.app? You can do it in the Finder: In the Applications folder, Control-click Myst Online.app. In the resulting window, go into Contents, then Resources, then Control-click again on this Myst Online.app. Again navigate into Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. Drag the new UruLauncher.exe from wherever you put it on your hard drive into this folder and replace the old one.

This worked for me. After launching Myst Online.app, it downloaded a new patcher, then downloaded about 400MB of updates (slowly), then let me log in (very slowly) and eventually get into the cavern. (If you used a fresh Myst Online.app from the Gametap disk image, it'll need to download a lot more than that.)

To see the correct End User License Agreement when you log in, delete /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources/TOS.txt and replace it with a symlink to ../../../../TOS.txt.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Cyan's license for this technology may not allow us to reuse their wrapper in this way. If that's the case, using Wine directly may still be an option.

UPDATE 2/9/2010: Replacing the old Terms of Service file with the new one is easily accomplished. Open Terminal (it's in Applications > Utilities) and copy and paste in these two lines:

Code:
rm -f "/Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources/TOS.txt"

ln -s ../../../../TOS.txt "/Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources"

That's it. The first line (the "rm" line) ReMoves the old file, the second line (the "ln" line) creates the symbolic LiNk.

Which wine wrapper version should I download? That site has a lot of choices, also where do I download it? I clicked their download link and all I got was a page of different Wine wrapper versions to read about.

That's the only thing that I'm stumped on. All the rest of the info I'm getting so far.

"beauty behond treasures, is light before your eyes"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:54 am 

relayer250 wrote:
I've done everything rainbow instructed for running Myst Online on OS X and the Updater comes up but it never goes past Checking for patcher update… . Is there something I can do to troubleshoot this? Is it a matter of reopening it randomly or should I leave it open for days?

Same problem here. Feel sooo close yet so far away. Is this due to a problem connecting to the server?

On an unrelated (?) note: is there a way to grab the full install and make it mac friendly? Or will us mac users just have to download the full update? Also, I happen to have a PC version of Uru Complete Chronicles...anyone know if there's a way to use that to "jumpstart" things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:30 am 

Tesseract wrote:
The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

I did download it from GameTap and it didn't work because Gametap gave the rights back to Cyan Wolds on June 30th, 2008.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:41 am 

Estari wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Tesseract wrote:

Indeed you're right! Thanks for the tip. Here's exactly how to get it working:

1. Download the old Mac client from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder -- or, if you played MO:UL years ago and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again.

2. Replace UruLauncher.exe in /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live with the new copy.

Where do you get the new copy of UruLauncher.exe? I got it by downloading the current MO:ULagain installer for Windows and running it in Wine. This will install UruLauncher.exe into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Uru Live and you can copy it from there into the Myst Online application. If installing Wine just to get UruLauncher.exe is too much trouble, send me a private message and I can send you just that file.

Once you have the new UruLauncher.exe, how do you put it inside Myst Online.app? You can do it in the Finder: In the Applications folder, Control-click Myst Online.app. In the resulting window, go into Contents, then Resources, then Control-click again on this Myst Online.app. Again navigate into Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. Drag the new UruLauncher.exe from wherever you put it on your hard drive into this folder and replace the old one.

This worked for me. After launching Myst Online.app, it downloaded a new patcher, then downloaded about 400MB of updates (slowly), then let me log in (very slowly) and eventually get into the cavern. (If you used a fresh Myst Online.app from the Gametap disk image, it'll need to download a lot more than that.)

To see the correct End User License Agreement when you log in, delete /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources/TOS.txt and replace it with a symlink to ../../../../TOS.txt.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Cyan's license for this technology may not allow us to reuse their wrapper in this way. If that's the case, using Wine directly may still be an option.

UPDATE 2/9/2010: Replacing the old Terms of Service file with the new one is easily accomplished. Open Terminal (it's in Applications > Utilities) and copy and paste in these two lines:

Code:
rm -f "/Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources/TOS.txt"

ln -s ../../../../TOS.txt "/Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live EULA.app/Contents/Resources"

That's it. The first line (the "rm" line) ReMoves the old file, the second line (the "ln" line) creates the symbolic LiNk.

Which wine wrapper version should I download? That site has a lot of choices, also where do I download it? I clicked their download link and all I got was a page of different Wine wrapper versions to read about.

That's the only thing that I'm stumped on. All the rest of the info I'm getting so far.

Keep us in the loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:51 am 

OK, using Rainbow's method and the 'native' program, I got updated, logged in, made my avatar, then it seemed to stop.

I got a short burst of the intro video's sound, which then looped briefly and died. I guess that I'll try it again shortly, or have I missed something?

Also, how do I run it not full screen, as frankly it looks rather blocky, the short part that I got.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Ged_UK wrote:
I got a short burst of the intro video's sound, which then looped briefly and died. I guess that I'll try it again shortly, or have I missed something?

Hmm, sounds like it crashed. Hopefully it won't do that next time.

Ged_UK wrote:
Also, how do I run it not full screen, as frankly it looks rather blocky, the short part that I got.

Command-Return switches between fullscreen and windowed mode. When you first install Myst Online, it defaults to 800x600 resolution, which looks pretty blocky on bigger displays. You can increase the game's resolution after you've gotten to Relto, by clicking the wrench icon in the lower right of the screen and then clicking Graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 am 

Thanks. Course, now I can't get past the 'updating' section. D'oh!

Ah, OK, I tried Apple-F, i forgot the old windows command!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:02 am 
Obduction Backer

EddieValiant wrote:
relayer250 wrote:

Same problem here. Feel sooo close yet so far away. Is this due to a problem connecting to the server?

Yes. The servers are very overloaded. Be patient. If it doesn't work now, try again later. It takes me a half dozen or more tries to get in.

EddieValiant wrote:
On an unrelated (?) note: is there a way to grab the full install and make it mac friendly? Or will us mac users just have to download the full update?

Of course. Download the files and put them in the right place. The right place is the same place where you put UruLauncher.exe.

EddieValiant wrote:
Also, I happen to have a PC version of Uru Complete Chronicles...anyone know if there's a way to use that to "jumpstart" things?

URU:CC is a very different beast internally from MO:UL; the files from URU:CC won't help bootstrap MO:ULagain.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next