It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:13 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Christopher910 wrote:
Tesseract wrote:
The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

I did download it from GameTap and it didn't work because Gametap gave the rights back to Cyan Wolds on June 30th, 2008.

We are aware of that. My instructions earlier in this thread show you how to update the old Gametap app so it works with the current MO:ULagain servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:13 am 

Well I finally made it in once the update and patcher downloaded and I can happily report that MO:ULagain works brilliantly on an iMac in Parallels for Mac 5.0 in a Windows XP virtual machine. No problems with colours or response times. Marvellous! Except I'm too busy to spend time in the Cavern tonight (Australia time). I'll be there in the morning though - soooo good to be back. :lol:

MO:UL KI# 08022570

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:18 am 

I'm back in! Thanks so much to this thread and particularly Rainbow!

Oh, and look, the same 'hood as QuinMaddox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:58 am 
Obduction Backer

EddieValiant wrote:
relayer250 wrote:
I've done everything rainbow instructed for running Myst Online on OS X and the Updater comes up but it never goes past Checking for patcher update… . Is there something I can do to troubleshoot this? Is it a matter of reopening it randomly or should I leave it open for days?

Same problem here. Feel sooo close yet so far away. Is this due to a problem connecting to the server?

On an unrelated (?) note: is there a way to grab the full install and make it mac friendly? Or will us mac users just have to download the full update? Also, I happen to have a PC version of Uru Complete Chronicles...anyone know if there's a way to use that to "jumpstart" things?

Like I said earlier, it's hit and miss connecting with the Cyan server. the first time it connected it then punked out and said the traffic was too heavy. I kept trying and when it finally started downloading I practically held my breath. (Don't forget that after each try you need to go into 'force quit' and force the installer to quit. That's something that I picked up from Drakmyths helpful post.

You just have to keep trying, but if you do it that way, i.e. let the Updater do it, all the files get in the right place. I'm in the UK, I managed to get connected at 9PM and it took two hours to update.

Of course I totally expect to have trouble getting back in! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:17 pm 

rainbow wrote:
EddieValiant wrote:
relayer250 wrote:
I've done everything rainbow instructed for running Myst Online on OS X and the Updater comes up but it never goes past Checking for patcher update… . Is there something I can do to troubleshoot this? Is it a matter of reopening it randomly or should I leave it open for days?

Same problem here. Feel sooo close yet so far away. Is this due to a problem connecting to the server?

Yes. The servers are very overloaded. Be patient. If it doesn't work now, try again later. It takes me a half dozen or more tries to get in.

EddieValiant wrote:
On an unrelated (?) note: is there a way to grab the full install and make it mac friendly? Or will us mac users just have to download the full update?

Of course. Download the files and put them in the right place. The right place is the same place where you put UruLauncher.exe.

EddieValiant wrote:
Also, I happen to have a PC version of Uru Complete Chronicles...anyone know if there's a way to use that to "jumpstart" things?

URU:CC is a very different beast internally from MO:UL; the files from URU:CC won't help bootstrap MO:ULagain.

I finally got it to work but the problem I had was that I had copied the entire folder I had downloaded for my PC and moved the files into the Uru folder instead of just the Patcher. Although it took awhile for the files to download, it appears to be working okay. Good luck to everyone else trying to get in! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:00 pm 

Oddly enough, after trying to link to a particular area in the game, the game crashed and whenever I try to open the program, I end up sitting at the Checking for patcher update screen again. Is this how it works for anyone else playing it on OS X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

I haven't had the game crash, but yes, anytime you start the game, on Mac or PC, it will first check for an updated patcher, then check to see if it needs to update any game files. The servers are overloaded so they will often not respond to your client's request for an updated patcher, so you'll have to force quit and try again. It may take several tries. Be patient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:17 pm 

I apologize if I seem impatient; I mainly keep worrying it's a problem on my end when something goes awry. However, I did get back into the game. I do wonder about that error I got. Has anyone else received this trying to link somewhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sometimes linking, sometimes just milling around an age – both public and private – I have gotten one of those pesky Call Stack errors. Luckily they don't seem to point at file corruption, but I'd like to see them done away with ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:59 pm 

i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you have an older intel macbook (or mini i believe) that has the intel 815 video chipset, that chip is not supported by uru (same for windows boxen with the same chip) and likely will not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:01 pm 

Mahalo, @rainbow, for your help! Haven’t been able to really get in-game this way because of the limited server access today, but I can’t wait—it seems to launch and update just fine… (twiddles fingers, and goes back to do some real work).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 pm 

I have to know. What kind of Macs has everyone here been installing MOUL onto? Of all the posts in this thread, no one mentions the specs on the mac. I have a pre-Intel mac, with OS X v10.4. Can anyone here tell me if they have tried the pre-Intel macs?

StarCat79

KI#01686230 (MOUL)
KI#02980834 (MO:ULa)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am having success with 2nd-generation and 3rd-generation MacBooks Pro.

You must have an Intel Mac, preferably a fast one. Probably early MacBooks and Mac minis and low-end iMacs, which all have integrated (instead of discrete) graphics cards are not ideal.

Certainly, no PowerPC Mac will ever work with Myst Online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:09 am 

Mac Pro 8 core - works great
MacBook Air - works so-so
MacBook Pro - works great
MacBook - untested

Will post updates as I get them. Intel Mac is absolutely required—recent OS (i.e. 10.6, 10.5) and (I'm guessing) at least 2Gib RAM also required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:36 am 

I have a 15" Unibody MacBook Pro from October 2008 and its not having any problems really with speed at all. Its just that pesky call stack error I get that shuts me out when I sometimes link to Teledahn.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next