It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Forum Https
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:46 am 

I'm not actually sure if this works better in the Technical Discussion forum or the Off Topic forum, but I wanted to mention that mystonline.com doesn't appear to have https fully implemented. I can access an https version of the site, but in firefox it tells me "Connection is not secure, parts of this page are not secure, (such as images,)" and the header image is invisible. In Comodo icedragon, the header image is visible on the https version, but it still says that the connection is only "partially encrypted."

I know it's a small thing, but I wondered if Cyan could set up https more fully? While my password on this site is different from my password on other websites, it's possible that many forum users may use the same password for this and other sites, and if not everyone uses https then there's a risk that someone could find out what their password is, (say, e.g., someone logs into the site from a public wifi in a coffee shop or library, where the connection might not be secure.)

Thanks to Cyan for all they do!

Post subject: Re: Forum Https
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I'm not sure on this but I think any HTTPS connectivity you're seeing is coming from Cloudflare and not Cyan.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:01 pm 

That's interesting. I had no reason to check for that. I don't think Cyan will be able to do anything about this anytime soon.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 pm 

I just checked - the SSL certificate is for Cloudflare not for Cyan. So things that the page loads directly from Cyan's servers rather than from Cloudflare's cache are not going to match the certificate so will cause the warning/partial load.

Besides, there's an interesting wrinkle on that, with Cloudflare... Contrary to popular belief HTTPS via their service does not actually guarantee you a secure connection: Normally HTTPS means that you get a validated end-to-end connection to the destination server and everything that passes is encrypted. With Cloudflare, your secure connection only goes as far as the Cloudflare servers - they're acting as a cache/proxy so they need to serve some of the data so they are the "end-point" of your connection. Whether or not Cloudflare then creates a secure connection to the original host is not something you can tell, but in any case the end-to-end encryption is broken and a man-in-the-middle attack becomes possible.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

https://letsencrypt.org/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 am 

LetsEncrypt certs biggest problem, IMHO, is that they need to be renewed every three months. They provide APIs so that you can automate that renewal, meaning that to all intents and purposes you can make it happen transparently. But there are reports that the auto-renewal doesn't always work or the request is rejected for some reason. That issue may well be overstated but it's been enough to put me off moving my sites to HTTPS via LetsEncrypt up to now. Maybe once the wildcard certs become available next year it'll look better to me, but right now the prospect of needing to keep an eye on maybe a dozen isn't appealing.

[Edit] I'm having vague memories of certificates expiring on the mystonline.com domain in the past... Probably back in GoDaddy hosting days. So maybe there used to be full HTTPS support...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've had Seltani.net working with the letsencrypt renewal for a few years now. Updates monthly. Never had any trouble.

Even if it failed one month, it would be better than never having supported https at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Works 100% on guildofwriters.org. Just use the acme client, and it's all crontab'd.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

I know this is not about the forums but I used Adam's idea of using "Let's Encrypt" on account.mystonline.com... and account creation is now secure! :D
Setting the auto update for the certificates seems to work fine. We'll see in 90 days, but it does test it every morning and that worked.

I'll see if I can get the reset of mystonline.com encrypted (it's on a different server).

Thanks!
Chogon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:24 am 

Chogon wrote:
I know this is not about the forums but I used Adam's idea of using "Let's Encrypt" on account.mystonline.com... and account creation is now secure! :D
Setting the auto update for the certificates seems to work fine. We'll see in 90 days, but it does test it every morning and that worked.

I'll see if I can get the reset of mystonline.com encrypted (it's on a different server).

Thanks!
Chogon

Awesomesauce! Thank you! I bestow my most gleeful of thanks upon you! :D