It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:17 am 

So I finally finished realMyst and I found my old dvd copy of Riven and felt like redoing it because i never beat the game. anyways, i installed riven onto my newer computer that runs an AMD II X2 245 dual core processor and I can't get the bugger to run. I have found lots of suggestions on the web for it but nothing wants to work. It just starts and then it stops. I never actually get the darn thing to run. I have tried the compaitbility mode, shutting off the secondary core with the affinity trick, i have updated and patched the game. tried several different options, including the quicktime fix and downloading and installed an older copy of quicktime i had on one of my servers at my parents house. i just cant get it to run. btw im running windows xp professional sp3 with all the current updates. im a stickler to make sure i always have the latest updates. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 am 

well i got the game running but the sound is scratchy. as it turns out i didnt need all the extra bs they say to do. all i had to do was install quicktime 3.0 and it works great. i just have scratchy sound in the animations and certain points in the game. if you guys have any suggestions i would appreciate them. fyi, i havent tried installing a newer version of quicktime yet. im afraid i could screw up what ive gotten to run right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:47 pm 

Riven DVD needs at least DirectX 9.0c for sound (installer on disc) and I think at least Quicktime 4 for the videos, although somewhere along the line I've heard the newest version of Quicktime became incompatible (6.5 and up or something?). I'm fairly certain there's a Quicktime installer on the Riven DVD as well that works fine.

Post subject: coolness
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 pm 

thanks for the quick reply, i noticed by reading a few of your older posts you are an avid uru player and possibly gamer. the game actually only needs quicktime 3.0.1 (to be technical about it) and i will be installing an older version of quicktime (possibly 4 or 5 as i think ive got every version on the old girl at my folks' place). but until then i guess scratchy sound is all i can do and it's not all that bad really.....

Post subject: Re: coolness
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 am 

Ghrark wrote:
thanks for the quick reply, i noticed by reading a few of your older posts you are an avid uru player and possibly gamer. the game actually only needs quicktime 3.0.1 (to be technical about it) and i will be installing an older version of quicktime (possibly 4 or 5 as i think ive got every version on the old girl at my folks' place). but until then i guess scratchy sound is all i can do and it's not all that bad really.....

I have Riven first release (5 CD) perfectly working on my XP 32 SP3: you must install the QT resealed with Riven to get it working. You can safety install previous versions of QT, they work togheter without problems. I have Riven QT installed and the lastest QT.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]