It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 am 

I hope I am not out of line on asking a GameTap question here on the Uru Live forum... but I am running into a serious problem here and there is only 6 weeks (or so?) to go before Uru Live starts.

I have been using Windows Vista for months, and all my programs run perfectly including all Myst games. Except now GameTap... however I try, it just plainly refuses to install. I keeps saying that I need to be logged in as an administrator, but fact is I am already logged in as such. It just doesn't recognize the fact. I tried everything, give the installer program admin rights, install in compatibilty mode... anything... I contacted GameTap but they didn't give any answer other than "We'll post on our site when Vista is supported".

If push comes to shove I can uninstall Vista and go back to XP, but I really don't want to reinstall the computer (I abandoned XP because all my programs work fine under Vista RC1 and we WILL buy it eventually)... has anybody tried installing GameTap on Vista and succeeded? Any help is appreciated... thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Windows Vista is not released. You want GameTap to support a beta OS?

(I'm sorry this is rather blunt, I'm a little tired. I'm just offering some insight into the situation. I expect GameTap will support Vista very soon after it is officially on the market... it would be fiscally irresponsible for them not to. But I wouldn't expect them to support an unreleased OS, because - regardless of your otherwise trouble-free experience, GameTap would have to worry about whether bugs in their product (on Vista) are their fault, or Microsoft's.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:20 am 

Marten wrote:
Windows Vista is not released. You want GameTap to support a beta OS?
No, you misunderstood me. That is NOT what I asked at all. I just wanted to know if anybody would be able to give me a solution. I am baffled that ALL my programs install and work PERFECTLY under Vista, EXCEPT GameTap. Perhaps there is some Guru out there who can help me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:47 am 

Sophia wrote:
I just wanted to know if anybody would be able to give me a solution. I am baffled that ALL my programs install and work PERFECTLY under Vista, EXCEPT GameTap.

I haven't used Vista, but does it have an option for Compatibility Mode? XP allows you to right-click the executable, choose Properties, and have the OS pretend (in some ways) to be an older OS. If this is available in Vista, you might try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:47 am 

Even though you are logged in as adminstrator, Vista uses account control settings that only run applications as administrator if its absolutely necessary. Most of the time Vista is smart about determining if it needs to exercise the admin priviledges, but not always.

Try this, right click on the installer and choose "Run as administrator". This is new to Vista, and ensures that the program is run with admin priviledges.

Let me know if this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:48 am 

It's a known compatibility issue, and Gametap *will* not run under the current Vista betas, no matter how much you try. I looked it up.

My experience with Vista was a whole pile of annoyingness. I'm sure they'll eventually have to get it running, but as of now it won't run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm 

I visit a few other game forums. The same question is asked about Vista, the answer is always the same.
There will be NO support for Vista until it's scheduled for release.
Sometimes you get lucky and manage to get it to work, but it doesn't work for most people in most games at this time.
Vista being Beta will be going through a lot of changes until release, just like games in Beta. Why should game developers do a lot of work to provide support for something they know they will have to rework several times before it (Vista) is actually released?
Cyan employees have enough to do right now getting URU released.
I am sure Game Tap will make the necessary changes once an actual release date for Vista is announced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:39 pm 

I also get the same error as you above and I am running Win XP X-64 and every time I call they say maybe it might be supported but probaly never will.

UU and Uru Online Setup I find run's fine in the OS but Gametap wont run on the OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Win XP X-64 just isn't a good choice for home / entertainment PCs. The only reason to run it on your PC is if you really need the benefits that 64 bits deliver, like memory addressability beyond 4 gigabytes. Do you have more than 4 gigabytes of RAM on your computer?

Other companies know this is a niche OS (despite Microsoft touting the OS as suitable for gamers) and aren't gviing it much support. Driver support for most consumer peripherals on the 64-bit version of Windows is poor.

Most people with 64-bit computers are running Windows XP (32-bit) on them, which runs just fine and has full driver support.

I am hopeful that with Windows Vista, 64 bit support will become more prominent, but because the market is still full of 32-bit machines and because Windows XP (and the 32-bit Vista) runs on the 64-bit systems, many software companies are reluctant to put out 64-bit versions of their products and support them alongside of the 32-bit versions.

It's a double-edged sword, this backwards-compatibility thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:17 pm 

Please don't dimiss the XP64, yes it had a small acceptance, but that came not because people didn't want it but because so many companies could be bothered to do things properly and release some 64bit drivers.

All my devices have 64bit support, all my programs (except Doom 3) will install on Xp 64.

THe next version of Vista comes in two flavours the limited featured 32bit version and the 64bit version. Its the latter Microsoft is peddling and has so many of the security benifits (like driving signing) as well as a few other bits and bob.

Getting things right for the xp64 OS is making major strides to getting it right in vista 64.

Or we could bury our head in the sand wait until the market shows people upgrading to vista 64 since they have this 64 CPU. One thing I have noticed companies developing Vista Drivers are developing them for 32bit and 64 bit OS. Which is nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

That is very promising news, Stevecrox. I haven't kept up on the very latest information on Vista but if companies are showing more commitment to its 64-bit version than XP's, that is good news to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Does Vista have a target release date?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:14 pm 

Per Microsoft site - release early 2007. :roll:

But with microsoft you never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:47 pm 

I never have had any issue's finding any 64-bit driver's, all hardware I use has had them since XP X-64 was released, and most game's etc I use will run on it excpet maybe some older one's but that is expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:35 pm 

jayctravis wrote:
It's a known compatibility issue, and Gametap *will* not run under the current Vista betas, no matter how much you try. I looked it up.
Aww well too bad, it was worth a try. Yes I did try all your suggestions such as compatibity mode and start in admin mode, but your post says it all. Too bad.......

*gets ready to dig in bottom drawer of cupboard in search of dusty copy of XP* :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next