It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:04 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm in a kind of a pickle now. I jumped at that anniversary offer from Gametap (still a great offer). Now I was playing using my satellite internet connection with Earthlink. Unfortunately, because of a billing dispute, it was disconnected. Now I'm on a dial-up connection and find that Gametap will not run at all for me. Now I love all the cool games I've played on GT, but Live was what I'm really wanting to use it for. Now, my question, which I hope a rep. fro Cyan or Gametap can answer, will there be any way for me, on dial-up, to play Live when it goes live?
I know Until Uru will be shut down in support of Live, so that leaves me without a Myst outlet!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:36 am 

Nope. Uru Live is a broadband only. It was so back when it first was tried (broadband not as prevalent then aided in its demise). There is just too much info going back and forth for a slow 10k connection. And with voice support... there is just no way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually this isn't quite true, I beta tested uru with dial up before. You can play Uru Live with dial up but it really really isn't recommeneded (however I do recall hearing something about gametap not working with dialup not sure if thats true or not but it could be an issue)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:37 pm 

No, your only hope is if you're international and won't need GameTap. The GameTap client is specifically designed to shut you out if you don't have enough bandwidth. People have had technical problems using GameTap because it thought they were using dial-up, although the real problem was something more like a problem with the firewall or something.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:01 am 

You could possible trick the gametap client if you had two computers. Dial into the internet with one and network them. Bridge the connection and use the second computer with a network card talk to the other computer's network card and the computer with the dial up connection could patch you through. That way the client sees you connecting with a broad band connection (the broad band connection only connects to another computer though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:34 am 
Obduction Backer

BlueLightNight wrote:
You could possible trick the gametap client if you had two computers. Dial into the internet with one and network them. Bridge the connection and use the second computer with a network card talk to the other computer's network card and the computer with the dial up connection could patch you through. That way the client sees you connecting with a broad band connection (the broad band connection only connects to another computer though)

However, if Gametap is actually trying to measure bandwidth it may not be fooled. On the other hand, it may have trouble differentiating between a bad 256K DSL connection (i.e. one that has renegotiated down to a lower speed due to noise problems on the line) and a good 56K dialup. They may have to give the benefit of the doubt in order not to upset customers. Anyway, the suggestion above might work, and you could use a really old PC (i.e. something that most people would throw or give away) running Linux to be the dialup/ethernet gateway.

But, you seriously should consider other options if any others are available at all. The problem most likely won't be running Uru Live, since the Uru protocol bandwidth has not exceeded good dialup speeds (at least in the past, I can't speak for what the bandwidth of the new Uru Live will be). The problem will be in downloading the ages and other updates. It could take days, perhaps close to a week if you start from nothing (and currently Cyan has indicated that Uru Live will be pure download, just like all other Gametap offerings, so you almost certainly will be starting from nothing). If you are really committed you may be able to deal with this once you get the initial downloads complete. At the very least you should get a dedicated modem phone line, so you can let the downloads run all day. Otherwise you may have to start updating in the evening, and stop in the morning, restart the next evening, etc.

Perhaps there might be a way of downloading ages at another site and transferring them to your computer. This would have been possible with the previous version, but may not be possible with the new version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the replies guys.
BTW, Bluelight, I also beta tested on a dialup back during the original Uru Live beta testing. I've also been in the cavern several times since I've had to downgrade with very little noticable difference in performance.

I guess my only option is to wait the few months to a year it will take to get that DSL from around the corner down my street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:18 am 

Thing is its a bandwith issue mostly. Theres plenty of MMO's out there that alow dialup and the people that use it have no major issues. With the exception of downloading patches or new content. Which slowly but surely is not being an issue with new patching systems.

I think blizard has an interesting one. Its kinda like bit torrent or is it exactly like it. Not sure, but it works well.

Sooner or later companys are going to relize that not everyone has access to broadband or can afford it.

good luck

leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:02 am 

I also have dial-up, my only hope it if they make a URU portable for my thumb drive, then I can play at our local library with it's wonderful broadband :P

Gaming4JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:57 am 

@ Gaming4JC

Is it not possible to download the GameTap files to something like a 60 Gig USB device like they seem to be suggesting in this post ??

http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=43298#43298

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

A small caveat here - broadband is required. Some of these things sound interesting, but we have no idea if they could work. It's also a lot of content, so I have my doubts about the content even fitting on a thumb drive.

I'm also curious about the proposed library solution. Maybe you aren't talking about a public library in the US. I have librarian friends and family members. In many public libraries, the PCs are set up so you can't install additional programs on their computers. They also don't generally have hi-end graphics cards, and in many libraries there is a limit on on long and how often you can sign on.

I don't want to be a downer here - I just want to be realistic. As far as I can tell, there is no work being done on the game to make it easier to play it on dial-up, since broadband is required.

Here are the requirements listed - got this from the support section of this site:
Supported OS: Windows XP/MCE in XP mode
Processor: 800MHz PentiumIII or AMD Athlon or better
RAM: 512 MB or more
Video Card 32 MB DirectX9.0 -compliant video card (see supported list*)
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0- compliant audio card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive Space: 3+ GB free
Internet Connection: Broadband
Display: 800 by 600 16 bit displays

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]