It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: EUROPe
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:37 am 

greets all

yes my first post......
1597 signatuers on the petition so far.
question is..

is europe getting shagged or we will be able to play along?
feels very disappointing that many games are excluding europe in the pre-releases of mmo's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:53 am 
Obduction Backer

No, Europe is not getting "shagged" and yes, you'll be able to play along.

My understanding is that everyone in Europe (and the rest of the world) will be able to play Uru Live the same day as all the folks in the US.

The only difference: GameTap.

GameTap is presently available in the US and Canada. We'll have to log into GameTap and then access Uru Live through GameTap.

Everyone else will be able to log into Uru Live directly.

The cost will be the same... $9.95 per month with or without GameTap.

When GameTap comes to your area, you'll get access to all the GameTap content as part of your Uru Live subscription... same price.

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:32 pm 

I signed up for GameTap when it expanded into Canada, partly for the 50% off and mostly for the oppurtunity to have a front row seat for when Live opens. I have loved GameTap so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:56 pm 

Reverend Vader wrote:
No, Europe is not getting "shagged" and yes, you'll be able to play along.

Everyone in Europe (and the rest of the world) will be able to play Uru Live the same day as all the folks in the US.

The only difference: GameTap.

GameTap is presently available in the US and Canada. We'll have to log into GameTap and then access Uru Live through GameTap.

Everyone else will be able to log into Uru Live directly.

The cost will be the same... $9.95 per month with or without GameTap.

When GameTap comes to your area, you'll get access to all the GameTap content as part of your Uru Live subscription... same price.

yesyes yes oh yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Before I get peoples' hopes up too high, it's come to my attention that while Cyan has intended all along for Uru Live to be released internationally at the same time as North America, the details regarding how have not yet been finalized...

I've PM'ed someone in-the-know to see where things stand.

Stay tuned.

(I've been guilty of misinformation before... Trying not to be guilty of the same again. Sigh!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:13 pm 

well the beta is certainly working so far for everyone (no "sorry, europeans cant play the beta, dont even try registering" notices so far), i just gues Uru will be a seperate game, being gametap the optional launcher for americans (and now canadians).

it will work, dont worry.... well i hope... darn it your making me worry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

There have never been any guarantees that URU Live will be available in Europe from day 1. It's definite that those without GameTap will have access. I can't point you at a post that says from when though. Maybe someone else can?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

From the Uru Live FAQ:

Quote:
...we should have an adequate system in place by the time we launch to let as many international communities in to see the game as possible. We will not have multilingual support at launch.

So, while not 100% guaranteed, a simultaneous international launch is what Cyan is aiming for.

Still waiting for an answer to my PM...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:15 am 

thx for the reply all, well if its released my gf and i will get it for sure.

thx all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

$9.99 for Europeans to get access to 1 game.
$9.99 for Americans and Canadians to access over 700 games.
:?
(Actually, the Canadians don't have access to most of the A-List games available on GameTap and I'm guessing this will also be the case for Europeans assuming GameTap ever goes International, but that's another story...)

I'm sorry, but how is this not Europeans being "shagged"?

Don't get me wrong. I'm fairly certain I'll still buy because I love the Myst games and always have (I was also on the old beta and really want back in!), but that doesn't mean I'm not going to feel a little bitter about it.

Plus the whole "You'll have access to all of GameTap when then get around to supporting you" argument isn't really all that compelling to me. I looked at the GameTap library when I first heard that they would be hosting URU Live and the only games I found that appealed to me, I already own. (I don't think I'm going to stop buying games I like just so I can then get them as part of a GameTap subscriptions a couple of years later.)

The only two good things I've seen about GameTap are URU Live and Sam & Max (which you can also get at a better price directly and with the option to get the whole season shipped to you on physical media once it's complete!)

Again, please don't me wrong. I don't mean this to sound like I'm bashing anyone here. I'm sure there are people who love GameTap and I'm sure the people who provide the service put a lot of effort into creating as much value for their subscribers as possible. If I lived in America then I'd probably already have a subscription, if only to support Cyan and this game, but as a European, I'm not really feeling the love. As far as I'm concerned, GameTap are getting the same amount of money for providing less of a service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:37 pm 

Europe and all other continents are indeed shagged by Gametap.
It is only thanks to Cyan and an open server connection we are able to play URU-live as non-North Americans.
What bothers me is that it is an equal price and no special anniversary deals for the other continents and the offered content is exclusively URU-live. At least the anniversary offer of half the price should also be available for the other continents.
I am willing to pay the price of $ 9.95 to play URU-live exclusively, because I think it's worth it, but I don't think it's justified pricing for everyone.
What worries me is that there is no effort in Europe to promote URU-live, besides the effort of the avids. I fear that when there will be made promotion by Turner it will only be targeted for Gametap. To me URU-live deserves more attention and should be brought to a wider public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Geert wrote:
What worries me is that there is no effort in Europe to promote URU-live, besides the effort of the avids. I fear that when there will be made promotion by Turner it will only be targeted for Gametap. To me URU-live deserves more attention and should be brought to a wider public.

Agreed this is something I have touched upon before and am extremely concerned about. Uru hardly got any marketing if any in europe and outside the US last time and it didn't help matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilst I agree that URU Live is under-advertised and under-marketed in the UK, I don't have a problem paying the equivalent of $9.95 / month for just URU Live. Nothing on GameTap appeals anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:09 pm 

Maybe i'm wrong. But I think it's not fair blaming GameTap for the difference between availability of games in different regions of the world. As with CDs, DVDs and such, it's the company releasing the material who decides where its product can be used.

I do not blame canadian music download sites not letting me pay for and download my favorit french pop-rock tunes because i do not have a residential address or a bank card issued in Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:18 pm 

gaborm wrote:
Maybe i'm wrong. But I think it's not fair blaming GameTap for the difference between availability of games in different regions of the world. As with CDs, DVDs and such, it's the company releasing the material who decides where its product can be used.

It is not about blaming someone. :wink:
To my opinion Gametap is acting as the publisher and Cyan as the producer. Normaly the publisher is taking care for the marketing and availabilaty of the product to the public.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next