It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thoughts as a generic end user in Europe: yes, I still think it's a bit unfair that we get to pay the same price just for Uru Live, but it's still on the medium-low price range for a MMORPG, and GameTap has shown interest in going international in the future, so I can live with that. I'm actually happy that we don't end up paying 10€/10£ like some other companies would do.
Still, since my money funds the GT marketing department just as an american subscription does, I'd like a good marketing strategy in Europe too.

Thoughts as if I were in GameTap's shoes: it's unfortunate, but I'm not going to lower my already medium-low price for people who live where my full service is not available, because then the people in the US and Canada who just want Uru Live will want to pay less too. There is already people who want to bypass the GT client, so I can't agree with a decision that will raise my user percentage just slightly and will instead reinforce the idea that Uru Live is a separate thing from GameTap to the detriment of my service as a whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:28 pm 

i know that im getting less for the same money (actually more if i have to pay 9.99 euros instead of 9.99 dollars), but im seeing it like this: its cheaper than any other MMO afaik, and if we subscribe it it'll push gametap to try to get more international

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:30 pm 

Geert wrote:
To my opinion Gametap is acting as the publisher.

I was replying to the message that said the canadian version has games locked. I was not talking about URU Live. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:07 pm 
Cyan Employee

The alternative was to not release Myst Online: Uru Live in any country until GameTap has entered that country. We did not want to do this.

Don’t look at it as GameTap users are getting a better deal. Look at it as if GameTap wasn’t apart of Myst Online: Uru Live it wouldn’t have been released.

It’s still the product we planned on releasing for 14.95 many years ago.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:15 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
Thoughts as if I were in GameTap's shoes: it's unfortunate, but I'm not going to lower my already medium-low price for people who live where my full service is not available, because then the people in the US and Canada who just want Uru Live will want to pay less too. There is already people who want to bypass the GT client, so I can't agree with a decision that will raise my user percentage just slightly and will instead reinforce the idea that Uru Live is a separate thing from GameTap to the detriment of my service as a whole.

You are expressing my concern. :wink:
URU live is just a product of GT i.e. marketing will be based on GT as a provider of many products.(as is allready true in the US) I hope Turner sees URU live as a big potential and put some marketing in the product URU live itself, though it is part of their service.
I strongly believe URU live is worth it. There are still a lot of Myst admirers who are not familiair or have not even heard about URU live at all.
At the moment when you google for URU live, most of the outcome still mentions: uru live canceled. 2004 :cry:

/edit Just crossposted with GD. It is not a concern about pricing. As is said in the first post: URUlive itself is allready worth the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just a note of appreciation for your understanding here - GameTap really is trying to come up with the best possible solution for the international Uru community. At some point we may be offering the full service in new countries, but for now we're just focused on a solution for people who want to be a part of Uru, and support Cyan. It's not the whole GameTap service, at least not yet, but hopefully more of the people who want to take part in Myst Online will be able to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:08 am 
Obduction Backer

In the first post of this thread, the concern about Europe being "shagged" was due to a concern that the Europeans wouldn't be able to "join in the fun" at the same time the folks in North America would gain access to Uru Live.

Just to reiterate: Cyan is planning a simultaneous international release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:03 pm 

That's fantastic news. The last time I was here Europe was pretty much out of the question and I had given up all hope!

I certainly don't mind paying $9.99 a month - that's less than pretty much all the other MMOs even with my bank's daylight robbery transaction fee on top!

I'm one happy girl! :D

Post subject: International Uru Live
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:35 am 
Obduction Backer

I imagine that all the powers that be are flat out like a lizard drinking atm, with getting UL ready to go live with Gametap, and I know we're all very appreciative of their overtime efforts to make a dream come true. Is there any further update to that email on 19 November, which said that staff were knee deep sorting out the legal issues regarding International players.

Not that I'm likely to chuck the towel in and drop the plot, or anything of that sort.....much :shock:

Post subject: URU Live International
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:31 am 
Obduction Backer

I've bought a new computer to be ready for Live. But I already feel shut out because I haven't been invited to beta.
I'm just in need of reassurance that I won't be overlooked here in Australia when the release finally does happen. Some details about how we are going to pay for the game would be very welcome in this regard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Judging from the posts on the board, Gametap is darn no matter what they do.

Complaint A: Gametap isn't available internationally so people in Europe pay the same price for just Uru that US players get for Uru + 700 others

Complaint B: Gametap doesn't have anything worth playing.

Well gee, if they don't have anything worth playing then it really doesn't matter that you can't play the 700 others now does it?

I'm sure the issue of international Gametap comes down to simple contractual issues. Gametap probably only holds US rights to the games they carry (which is why most of them aren't available in Canada yet either.) It's not like there are some people sitting in a boardroom there going "Oh yes, how can we screw over Europe?"

I play Gametap mainly for Uru and Sam and Max, but I've been more than happy with the product delivered from them. The way I see it, I'm paying for Uru Live, and getting all these other games as a free bonus. While its unfortunate that Europeans won't get the free bonus just yet, they will eventually.

Until then, I don't get all the fuss. You're getting Uru just like the rest of us, enjoy it!

Post subject: Europe? How about Africa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:55 am 

Being in South Africa, I have the same tense feeling; will I be able to play Uru Live and will I be able to join in the open Beta, which is announced at Game Tap.

I really understand the situation of Game Tap, with international rights etc, and appreciate their efforts, but am eagerly following all the news.

Post subject: Europe
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:32 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm not criticising GameTap. If it wasn't for them there wouldn't be any URU LIVE for anyone to play. But the knowledge that their customers got into 'Open' Beta today is a little hard to live with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:09 am 
Obduction Backer

R/L commitments have kept me away from URU more than I would like of late, however as a European and an avid fan (with money to spend) I think we should all have the opportunity to go into Live together and that we should all of had the opportunity to go into Open beta together. Do I feel cheated? NO, Do I feel like the poor cousin? Yes. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:10 am 

Remember that this GameTap Uru Preview is not the open beta. It is still part of the closed beta and if I remember reading the new report about it only lasts a week for the GameTap previewers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next