It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:50 am 

I find myself in a similar situation. My sister and I played Myst together, even though we each had families of our own. Every so often, we would get together, crowd around the screen and explore. Uru is just the thing we've been looking for that will let us do that remotely.

I'm not anti-community, but I don't like spoilers, even tiny ones. That is enough to make me shy away from crowds of other explorers, because I want to experience the puzzles fresh, with my family. That might change if I see that spoilers are kept under wraps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:57 pm 

Exactly. Definitely one of my concerns.

Heck, just reading the forums is giving small spoilers away. And I'm not talking big things that are obvious spoilers. Just in everyday conversation or even little fun notes in people's signatures have told me things that I wish I hadn't read. That sort of thing is a big concern of mine in Uru Live if I interact with other people. I'm not worried about the big spoilers as much as the things that people that have done it already don't THINK are spoilers...

Again, don't tell me it won't happen -- because it already happens here in the forums. Therefore, it WILL happen in Live.

- John...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

When Uru Live goes "live" - we'll need to look at the forum organization. Generally there are sections of a game forum that have puzzles solutions - that sort of thing. Some people want to know solutions to puzzles and want to help each other out. Some people don't.

On the question of how much can you do in the game without dealing with other people - we know how previous version of Uru worked - solo player Uru and the previous online version. Going forward - we don't know. Will more puzzles and/or other styles of gameplay require multiplayer play? We don't know, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:44 am 

I also wanted to point out that in the origonal URU, prolog and UU... I believe that if you selected the, "Only accept messages from ppl in my buddies list" you did not get the spoilers from the ppl blabbing them out in the city... Hopefully there will be a similar feature in Live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:20 pm 

That sort of blocking feature would help quite a bit. I'd enjoy wandering around town, amid the crowd, if I didn't have to worry about overhearing other conversations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:01 pm 

You need to remember that even if you are alone the game will still be talking back to the server. If you have a connection that doesn't really allow for that sort of thing then you won't be able to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another member of the community, Shoramin, has said he had good connectivity with internet via satellite. You could test it with the D'Mala UU shard.

I think it may be inevitable that there will be some kind of multi-player game. When that happens, I think you should have no problem finding a few friendly folks to help you with the multi-player part of the game. Then you should be able to easily go back to your individual gameplay.

I wasn't too keen about the multiplayer aspect of Uru, having played all the previous Myst games solo, or playing with my brother. But once I made it to Prologue, I thought the multi-player aspect was the best part of it. Fortunately, for the most part it caters to both styles.

Hopefully for the forums, the mods will encourage folks to put (Spoiler) in their topic subjects so you can safely check out the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes we will. Also - hopefully by then, we'll have a section of the forum devoted to hints and solutions to puzzles.

We'll have to think about what works. In the Ubisoft Myst IV forum, we put the name of the age in the heading, for posts in the "spoiler" section - the section where people talked about puzzle solutions. That worked out pretty well, and if people forgot, we put the name of the age in for them.

That may not work so well in an ongoing game - one where you might keep getting new puzzles per age. I'll have to think about it. It also may not work so well on a busy board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 am 

I thing having access to spoiler tags is going to be essential. Surely there must be some good mods out there for phpBB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:29 pm 

Quote:
Ok -- I guess that is what I am looking for. I don't mind being connected -- but I don't really feel the need to interact with others. What I want is an ongoing source of new areas/puzzles to explore on my own.

You have to remember that a large part of Uru is exploring the entirety of the game, not just the Ages that appear on your Relto shelf- I.E. Great Zero missions require you to hunt markers down in the City. Chances are, you'll see lots of other people as you go about solving these puzzles, especially in the public areas. You won't have to worry about this in your private Ages, but expect to see people in-game while you're playing.

I can understand if you don't want to interact with people while you're solving puzzles, but I'm not too sure why you'd want to avoid people altogether... It is an online game, after all. Sooner or later you'll run into other players. Uru is not meant to be a single-player experience. I personally find solving Ages with others more immersive.

But that's just me, I guess...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2