It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:16 pm 

Hi all,

I try to keep up but i guess i'll always miss something. Things can change and notices placed on other forums and i'll miss them...

Anyway i don't recall seeing a hardware solution to the physics conundrum re combo jumping and related moves.

I looked up the software solution and found myself lacking a dll or brain cells?

I play with two other buddies and one has a slightly slower machine than mine and seems to manage the moves without too many complaints. The rest of us have faster or much faster machines and struggle or just cannot do them.

I'm just thinking i bet my comments are redundant and this is no longer a problem for most and they are going poor poor thing there there to themselves...?

Anyway i have tried slowing down my CPU and graphics card and it doesn't make any difference. But when i use EPU 4 by ASUS switching from high performance to power saving i can combo ok. The power saving software / hardware only works on some ASUS motherboards. I checked my voltages etc on the motherboard and relative performances and couldn't see any difference.

Now i really don't want to get into a debate about the whole philosophy of this see http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ng+physics which goes on for 7 pages or about what specifically the EPU 4 engine does.....

But i wonder if anyone else has tried hardware wise to get combo jumping back up and running nicely..thank you very much.

Or i guess a less than software engineer friendly solution or dll please that's if it still works anyway Lyrositor got a lot of praise for this, thank you very much Lyrobot-Man, but the above link ended in the air for me as to what has happened since...

Thank you to everyone in the universe whatever you have done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am no expert on the issue, but I think combo jumping is tied to CPU speed; I don't recall if this was fixed or unavoidable, though. There are physics fixes coming up now, and I think those disable the combo jump entirely, but don't quote me on that (rest assured the Skydiving client will still have the old physics, when it is updated and released).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 pm 

Lyrositor wrote:
I am no expert on the issue, but I think combo jumping is tied to CPU speed; I don't recall if this was fixed or unavoidable, though. There are physics fixes coming up now, and I think those disable the combo jump entirely, but don't quote me on that (rest assured the Skydiving client will still have the old physics, when it is updated and released).

The new built 1.916 that has been reverted today :D :lol: will disallow combo jumping. This is not the far worse thing to happen.

The baddest issue with the new built is the complete unability to climb elevators inside collisions & to be able to "pop out" of the elevator "safely" standing on top of the collision.

Some (approx 10-15%) skydiving quests rely on combo jumping.
Almost all skydiving quests rely on climb one way or the other an elevator inside collisions.

The nicest thing with the new built is that people will stop thinking it's OK to play with the normal client & trying to do skydiving...which never has been :roll:

It will be clear as source water:

1) you want to climb somewhere/zip launch yourself ---> skydiving client
2) you want to stand on ground/chat with people/no playing with the glitches ---> normal client *

At least now we will have clear distinctive way of playing & enjoying MOULa.

* For the map climbers, you can sleep tight, it will still be possible with the normal client...for the tent (EDIT: Nevermind the tent, except it will be slightly different... I tested it on Minkata, for experienced skydivers, they will figure it out quite easily)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:
The new built 1.916 that has been reverted today :D :lol: will disallow combo jumping. This is not the far worse thing to happen.

The baddest issue with the new built is the complete unability to climb elevators inside collisions & to be able to "pop out" of the elevator "safely" standing on top of the collision.

Some (approx 10-15%) skydiving quests rely on combo jumping.
Almost all skydiving quests rely on climb one way or the other an elevator inside collisions.

When you say it like this it is maddening in its almost-comprehensibility. "collision" is a word I understand but cannot apply to the invisible infrastructure of the MOUL environment. Yet you can see them and use them as footholds.

If I could see "the holds" I could apply my rock-climbing skills and make an honest attempt at climbing them. As it is I am reduced to rote learning and much trial and error, mostly error. The frustration eventually overwhelms the achievement. There is nothing tangible, no reason for success or failure, just "luck". Of course it could be that I'm just not cut out to be a jumper.

Annabelle wrote:
The nicest thing with the new built is that people will stop thinking it's OK to play with the normal client & trying to do skydiving...which never has been :roll:

It will be clear as source water:

1) you want to climb somewhere/zip launch yourself ---> skydiving client
2) you want to stand on ground/chat with people/no playing with the glitches ---> normal client *

So I should have been using the skydiving client (if I had a clear idea of what that was - I only have a vague one) when I attempted to jump or zip? I have not got any other client working so far - yet I have zipped and combo-jumped. Have I just been lucky?

Annabelle wrote:
* For the map climbers, you can sleep tight, it will still be possible with the normal client...for the tent (EDIT: Nevermind the tent, except it will be slightly different... I tested it on Minkata, for experienced skydivers, they will figure it out quite easily)

So the tent will be off limits unless you are an experience skydiver too? Oh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:37 pm 

Hi AlanD,

Welcome to our world.

The only comparisons i can make to the world of rock climbing from my experience of it, are waiting around at the bottom of a crag for your leader to say "climb when ready" or waiting to go up a route that is already being climbed. That is the end of the comparison in Uru, as we cannot grip things and pull up like in games such has Tomb Raider etc.

When we talk about climbing it has no real in comparison in Uru to the real world its just a word used to describe the process of moving upwards i guess. The moves are alien and so are their uses and locations used and are abstract to be honest.

I had been playing the game for many years before i was introduced to the idea of combo jumping and finding and using the skill in only certain locations around the cavern and other ages. It was found by accident i guess initially then later sought out specifically and was never part of the original design for the game.

I think of it a little like free running with their strange hops and jumps etc to reach places normally unreacheable or that were never thought of being reached or designed to be reached , which brings us back to the game.

The game reached a kind of stagnation with no new ages being built or new places added or opened up. So explorers found other things to do. They extended the marker games into quests with many different themes and also used the markers to show where jumps started and the path the route took.

They started trying to jump over and get to places they could see but could not reach normally. Such places are separated from normal planned / designed areas by collision walls. This term comes from 3d design software such has 3D Studio Max and permits the designer to control user interaction with the surfaces they create, which form buildings' walls floors plants other objects etc. I guess you could say they are largely areas of transparency with height so that you cannot jump over or through them. You will i am sure have tried to reach areas yourself that you think you can get to but find you cannot, these are collision walls. At the boundaries between normal walls and collision walls it is possible to do certain move combinations to climb up and over them.

A basic example is in your Relto around the outside of the hut on the right hand side as you come out and back on yourself there is a tree, try and walk between the tree and the hut's outside wall and you find you cannot, this a collision wall. Around the other side is a spot you can combo jump up to get on top of the tree and the hut roof.

I am not sure from the original post how much of the game proper you have played and achieved but if you like i could meet you in the game and show you the ropes..lol..in some basic areas but its a tricky thing to learn combo jumping and i honestly thought i would never get it took me months. Basic move is Walk/Jump Run/Jump but you have to wait before you do your Run Jump and time it to when you avatars arms fall by its side.

But this is more tricky now as you have read in my original post but other restricted areas can be reached without combo jumping

I hope this helps and i have made some sense of this to you. It is hard to describe when you have been doing it for a couple of years to people who havent but we are here to help.

Bye for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:47 pm 

AlanD wrote:
When you say it like this it is maddening in its almost-comprehensibility. "collision" is a word I understand but cannot apply to the invisible infrastructure of the MOUL environment. Yet you can see them and use them as footholds.

If I could see "the holds" I could apply my rock-climbing skills and make an honest attempt at climbing them. As it is I am reduced to rote learning and much trial and error, mostly error. The frustration eventually overwhelms the achievement. There is nothing tangible, no reason for success or failure, just "luck". Of course it could be that I'm just not cut out to be a jumper.

My terminology evolved with time. I first used the term "wall" in my quests, but then some explorers were confused as they didn't see walls. So I'm revising my quests so the term "collision" is more used right now inside them.

A collision wall is a thin invisible layer that blocks you from going off bound inside a 3D world. Inside URU, they can be right on the visuals, ahead of the visuals, or behind the visuals.

They cannot all be travelled on. It depends on how they were built (don't ask me, that part I have no idea...). Some can be solid & walkable on top but sticky inside. Some allow to climb them from the bottom to the top (the famous "elevators"). If the elevator is right inside the collision, you'll pop out from it & stand still (5% of elevators). Most elevators are off the collision walls. You'll climb except you won't stay still on top unless you 1) do a safe jump: walk-jump or run-jump, 2) a step forward, or 3) sidestep quickly (1st choice being the safest, 3rd the most hasardous) (95% of elevators).

Then there is a category of collision walls I call boxed collisions. You have a lot of that type in City for instance. Unless you come from higher ground, you cannot climb them from the bottom to the top, you'll get stick because they have a ceiling. And even on top, you have more issue walking on them since they are made to bring you "inside" the box. The roof of the bridge is like that.

There are also collision plane over solid boxes. The tent is a nice example. Once over them, you can explore, you are in a safe environment.

There are off-bound areas. Those areas are just like the normal areas except Cyan for a reason or the other decided to not let us get there... Too bad for them, I'm not complying :lol: . 2 great examples are: the back of the Museum & the lakeshore at the bottom of the Library cliff. The 1st area, they put barricades with high collisions over them: bouncing double jumps do the job to get over them. The 2nd area, they put a panic link zone to prevent us of jumping from the courtyard around the Library. Stone found the "hole" in the design. That area is open for exploration :)

AlanD wrote:
So I should have been using the skydiving client (if I had a clear idea of what that was - I only have a vague one) when I attempted to jump or zip? I have not got any other client working so far - yet I have zipped and combo-jumped. Have I just been lucky?

Nope... For now, the actual 1.912 Normal client gives you the "opportunity" to do skydiving. It's just a real painful experience. When you have been used, since 2010, to a way of skydiving, having to kneel on each freaky jump and to break far ahead of markers, you just play 10 mins and you say: "That's it!!!!"

If you never experienced the skydiving client, there's a good reason for this. With Bink Videos issue started in mid-November 2012, we weren't allow to distribue any client. Those, like me, that had the Skydiving client, the Marker Editor client, & the Fun House client could continue to use them.

You won't have any choice for skydiving in few days. Do not worry, you'll get use to this client. All what it will do, is to give you the usage of the old "broken" physics (I hate when they say that :roll: ) with all the feature of the normal client. It's the best of both world in skydiver terms.

You have everything everyone else has
AND you won't kneel
AND you won't break (BTW...if we were to kneel & break like that in reality, the emergencies would be overload :lol: it's completely unrealistic)
AND you'll be able to combo
AND you'll be able to elevate yourself inside collision walls to reach their tops which is the basic of skydiving in URU

AlanD wrote:
So the tent will be off limits unless you are an experience skydiver too? Oh

Not at all... alpha explorers will get used to after few attempts :lol: . I ain't saying it's thougher... It's just that you'll try climbing from a low spot to a higher one...implying an elevator inside a collision wall which is not working anymore with the new physics. The tent is a solid block against a collision wall. You'll get stick between the 2. You'll have to unstick on top preferably on the tent side :wink: . At least this is what happened to me during my 3 attempts on Minkata...

For example of comparison,the lower tent on the stairs & obelisk, good luck :lol: . All what I've been able to do so far on Minkata is to rebounce...in my Relto :wink:

Another example, the rope bridge... they glued it :wink: Since that entrance is for 80% of all the markers inside Ae'gura...it makes the exploration a little bit shorter. Apply this to all the ages: the normal client will be, in few days from now, something to avoid for skydiving/glitching playtime. For normal play, it will be up to your choice, I'm not going to critize the normal client on any other aspect than the skydiving aspect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:

I disagree with that. We did plenty of skydiving in Uru before there were custom clients (and also before there were combo jumps or any of these things).

Annabelle wrote:
(EDIT: Nevermind the tent, except it will be slightly different... I tested it on Minkata, for experienced skydivers, they will figure it out quite easily)

Annabelle wrote:
Another example, the rope bridge... they glued it :wink: Since that entrance is for 80% of all the markers inside Ae'gura...it makes the exploration a little bit shorter.

If I remember correctly, my tests on Minkata have shown that both the tent climb and the bridge climb still work. They feel a little different, but are still doable. I didn’t test all the routes starting from the bridge though, I think the farthest I went was a meter into the rock or so on the lagoon-side end of the bridge.

Annabelle wrote:
Apply this to all the ages: the normal client will be, in few days from now, something to avoid for skydiving/glitching playtime.

Clarification: You’ll want to avoid it if you want to try many of the skydiver techniques developed in the last two or three years. I for one will have fun finding new and old skydiver tricks with the new standard client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
When I joined the Skydivers, "skydiving" had a different meaning. So, you have to admit that Annabelle's definition (as I understand it, anyways) can be a bit confusing.

Well, as long as I can still "Map dance", I suppose i can live with the new restrictions. :)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:56 pm 

When I came in the community, the skydivers were indeed very different. They were climbers, mostly doing easy climbs like the tent, the bridge, doing zip line launches and the like for recreative reasons.

There were also independent hardcore unaffiliated glitchers like JohnB & Shellshock who were providing hard quests (for their time).

I came in and mixed the 2 approaches. A lot of skydivers were very angry at me and just left the community or just didn't bother much about their skydiver affiliation anymore. A lot went in SL as well which wasn't caused by me.

Then came in a lot of new skydivers following my path making the new equation a reality for the rest of the community: skydiving = hardcore glitching. It pays as we are now able to go about anywhere with ease (at least if you are skilled enough) and many fans of my quests who don't bear the prefix "Skydiver" are indeed more glitchers than what the original skydivers were.

Like I said I'm not a gamer, I didn't know what a glitch was until someone explained it to me. I was a skydiver, I was "skydiving" in Cavern terms, that was sufficient to spread the term. I explained to the masses what combo jumping & double jumps were. A new form of skydiving was born and now whether or not old skydivers like or dislike this equation, that's the reality since late 2010!

-----

As for the what Christian told, he is right. I'm not doing thing the "traditional" way and I can see what made me think the bridge was NOW inaccessible when it is STILL possible to do it :roll:.

People usually (because that was the tradition) climb the on the rope this way: run-jump from the edge of broken bridge then jump up jump up jump up & sidestep real quick to avoid falling all the way down to the relto. I always despited that way and I modified it. All my quests take into account MY way but as I can see a lot of time explorers keeps doing it the old way. In my way, on the new client, you get expelled like a bullet going out of a gun violently on the side only to watch yourself panic out few seconds after. Like I said, the collisions don't like us...they don't like us on the Skydiving client they will less like us on the next normal client.

And I will always defend the skydiving client over the new client. I will resay it right now & when time will come later this month, when I will be ready for my big announcement...I will reiter this statement

Play my quests on the skydiving client. They have been made with and planned for the skydiving client. Any use of other client may result in hazardous outcomes & make your time a real painful experience when my quests are (but will be mostly in 2 weeks...) really well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:51 am 

TOOO wrote:
When I joined the Skydivers, "skydiving" had a different meaning. So, you have to admit that Annabelle's definition (as I understand it, anyways) can be a bit confusing.

Well truth is most of the old "Skydivers" can't go much further than the plaza tent or bridge roof anyway.. But during the past 3 years it happened that many among the most devoted and inventive glitchers were members of the Skydivers Hood (like Annabelles, Susan, F'ni, Stone, Sut, Wanabe) (well, I only left Grim and Face out of that list, they were more independent but this doesn't mean that you wouldn't ALWAYS find them up somewhere trying jumps alone or along with the SD's), and it became a "trend" for a while to be a Skydiver like it is now to have a Magic Avvie. So there you have it.

And back to the OP, I think that if 1) crowded City 2) lag markers 3) CPU killer 4) a combo (hm!) of the above altogether didn't do it, nothing will. Except getting yourself a 5 year old computer, or older.

What's left is to check whether you followed the "instructions" correctly or if you had a good "teacher" (don't laugh, some people don't explain well that stuff).
I know it took me a while to learn how to do it because nobody said I had to keep hitting the keys until I see myself climb, I thought it was a single sequence like all the other jumps. Once I got that clear, up I was (and hardly ever set foot on the ground again :P ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:00 am 
Obduction Backer

I usually encode video running a program called HandBrake. http://handbrake.fr
I find the best results running everything from the same drive.
So I first encode a movie and place it on the Desktop.
Then I load the Desktop file into HandBrake and start encoding it back to the Desktop. With the encode running I seem to be able to combo very well.

There is a Pause button. So I pause the encode and play URU. When I run across a spot that needs a combo or a few other unique jumps. I'll unpause HandBrake for a minute.

If i'm still having troubles
Play with the games graphics settings especially shadows.
Place 300 markers in a pile where I could see them.
Get a crowd of friends to stand around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

schmood wrote:
Welcome to our world.

Thank you :)

schmood wrote:
The only comparisons i can make to the world of rock climbing from my experience of it, are waiting around at the bottom of a crag for your leader to say "climb when ready" or waiting to go up a route that is already being climbed. That is the end of the comparison in Uru, as we cannot grip things and pull up like in games such has Tomb Raider etc.

My comparison is based more on the fact that gaining height by methods that require skill and practice is a large part of both climbing and "skydiving". There is occasional queueing for the ziplamp too :)

schmood wrote:
I had been playing the game for many years before i was introduced to the idea of combo jumping and finding and using the skill in only certain locations around the cavern and other ages. It was found by accident i guess initially then later sought out specifically and was never part of the original design for the game.

I've been playing the Myst series since its first release, and Uru:ABM+PotS for ten years or so, but offline. I found MOUL at the end of last year, and it has been my introduction to online gaming :)

The whole skydiving pursuit is based on the exploitation of imperfections in the graphical representation of the Uru worlds, items that are decidedly not part of the requirement specification and are guaranteed to change and disappear with successive iterations of the ages. On the face of it an empty exercise. Nevertheless I am drawn to it because a) I like giong upwards and b) it offers similar rewards to climbing.

schmood wrote:
You will i am sure have tried to reach areas yourself that you think you can get to but find you cannot, these are collision walls. At the boundaries between normal walls and collision walls it is possible to do certain move combinations to climb up and over them.

I understand that the "collision walls" are part of the underlying graphic infrastructure, but not how they can be seen or found, unless it is with one of the external/internal clients that I have acquired but not yet installed. There are of course no instructions: I'm expecting to find a command line somewhere and maybe some help - heaven help me if I have to reverse-engineer the code, it's been years since I did that. Some of the clients (the "skydiving" client for example) seem only to have an older set of physics, somehow. It's the inability to see what it is that I'm climbing on that makes it more difficult for me - I'm a hands-on type and like to see what I'm working with. Oily-handed engineer at heart, despite having mostly worked with optical design and electronics.

schmood wrote:
A basic example is in your Relto around the outside of the hut on the right hand side as you come out and back on yourself there is a tree, try and walk between the tree and the hut's outside wall and you find you cannot, this a collision wall. Around the other side is a spot you can combo jump up to get on top of the tree and the hut roof.

I've been shown a spot for combo jumping that's between a Teledahn-mushroom and the hut wall. I will look for the tree. You seem to be describing a junction between two invisible walls.

schmood wrote:
I am not sure from the original post how much of the game proper you have played and achieved but if you like i could meet you in the game and show you the ropes..lol..in some basic areas but its a tricky thing to learn combo jumping and i honestly thought i would never get it took me months. Basic move is Walk/Jump Run/Jump but you have to wait before you do your Run Jump and time it to when you avatars arms fall by its side.

I have been all through Uru:ABM and PotS offline for many many years. I have been in MOUL for a few months. I've finished all the Cyan content, have a full set of relto pages, sparklies and feathers and whatnot (I *really* like the whatnot, gives me somewhere to put the feathers :) ).

I've been shown how to combo jump and can do so up the fallen pillar by the library, the library tent on two sides and the concert hall lamp. All of these are places where you are prevented from moving forward, so the junction of the invisible collision walls is obvious, found by walking into the corner. For me the combo is defined by a rhythm between walk and run, walking forward all the time and hitting the space bar and shift keys at the right time. The interval between successive combos is for me defined by watching the avatars arms. It's an odd move but no odder than some dynamic climbing moves, where you have to keep moving on tenuous holds between safe stances.

Now I've started on a marker game on the Great Stair I find the initial move is to jump onto a lamp and I can't make it work most of the time as I don't know where to aim and there is no "corner" to push against. That lack of visual cue is hard for me to overcome. The instructions in the marker itself just don't work for me, and I find that rather than having to do the sequence quickly, I must be slow, slower than my combo-jump rhythm, for the few times I've made it to the top of the lamp. I'm tempted to try the "skydiver" client I have, but my buddies can do it with normal clients, so I should be able to do so too.

The move is described as a double-jump. I've read the description and can't translate it into a set of keystrokes. The times I have made it to the top have been with a straight combo against the lamp pillar.

schmood wrote:
But this is more tricky now as you have read in my original post but other restricted areas can be reached without combo jumping

After some practice, a lot of help and a helpful marker game or two I can climb the stalagmite (the "tree") in the plaza and the DRC tent in the plaza. Map sitting is also possible.

schmood wrote:
I hope this helps and i have made some sense of this to you. It is hard to describe when you have been doing it for a couple of years to people who havent but we are here to help.

This is what I like about the MOUL community: the willingness to help random strangers, even those that look like hopeless cases :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle, thank you for taking the time to respond to my irritating "newbie" questions :)

Annabelle wrote:
A collision wall is a thin invisible layer that blocks you from going off bound inside a 3D world. Inside URU, they can be right on the visuals, ahead of the visuals, or behind the visuals.

So it is easy to predict where they are then :) I have noticed the walking-into-rock effect in some places and I know what you mean. The actual planes that the avatars move around on and bump up against are separate from the scenery, the textures and visual effects that are the visible cues for our exploration.

Annabelle wrote:
They cannot all be travelled on. It depends on how they were built (don't ask me, that part I have no idea...). Some can be solid & walkable on top but sticky inside. Some allow to climb them from the bottom to the top (the famous "elevators"). If the elevator is right inside the collision, you'll pop out from it & stand still (5% of elevators). Most elevators are off the collision walls. You'll climb except you won't stay still on top unless you 1) do a safe jump: walk-jump or run-jump, 2) a step forward, or 3) sidestep quickly (1st choice being the safest, 3rd the most hasardous) (95% of elevators).

The DRC tent elevator being one of the 5% if I read your description correctly? It's odd that these walls allow climbing at all, and I really wish I understood why, in code terms.

Annabelle wrote:
Then there is a category of collision walls I call boxed collisions. You have a lot of that type in City for instance. Unless you come from higher ground, you cannot climb them from the bottom to the top, you'll get stick because they have a ceiling. And even on top, you have more issue walking on them since they are made to bring you "inside" the box. The roof of the bridge is like that.

I've followed a marker game and got onto the bridge roof. I assume that this is more than one wall, three or four in fact, arranged to stop explorers falling off the bridge. So not only can you not see what you are walking on, you can't see where it ends.

Annabelle wrote:
There are also collision plane over solid boxes. The tent is a nice example. Once over them, you can explore, you are in a safe environment.

There are off-bound areas. Those areas are just like the normal areas except Cyan for a reason or the other decided to not let us get there... Too bad for them, I'm not complying :lol: . 2 great examples are: the back of the Museum & the lakeshore at the bottom of the Library cliff. The 1st area, they put barricades with high collisions over them: bouncing double jumps do the job to get over them. The 2nd area, they put a panic link zone to prevent us of jumping from the courtyard around the Library. Stone found the "hole" in the design. That area is open for exploration :)

I think that Cyan did not expect explorers to get so curious about the bones that underly their virtual worlds, never mind make use of them for additional entertainment. It is not so much that they don't want you to go to some of these places, it's that they were made for expansions that never got built, so there was always an expectation that explorers would go there anyway. You found a way to get there sooner :)

Bouncing double jumps. Hmm, beyond me at present, I'm having trouble with understanding a plain double jump.

Annabelle wrote:
Nope... For now, the actual 1.912 Normal client gives you the "opportunity" to do skydiving. It's just a real painful experience. When you have been used, since 2010, to a way of skydiving, having to kneel on each freaky jump and to break far ahead of markers, you just play 10 mins and you say: "That's it!!!!"

Well, my buddies can do it with the normal client so I persist in trying to follow them. The differences between our computers, the "lag", the number of visitors in the cavern, what they had for breakfast, and my own lack of skill and practice combine to make my experience different from theirs, which is the nature of the exploit I suppose: it was never meant to happen at all so consistency should not be expected.

I do frequently want to give up, seeing constant failure despite varying speed, direction, start points and angles and being unable to see *why* I have failed. The feedback loop is broken.

Annabelle wrote:
If you never experienced the skydiving client, there's a good reason for this. With Bink Videos issue started in mid-November 2012, we weren't allow to distribue any client. Those, like me, that had the Skydiving client, the Marker Editor client, & the Fun House client could continue to use them.

I first started exploring MOUL in November just before that issue blew up, and I downloaded Lyrositers testing client 912. Have now installed it and made some cautious forays into private ages, but was not able to see very much difference. Perhaps I need to try the few skydiving moves I have worked on so far and see if they are better or more consistent with this client. I also have a couple of others, not yet installed.

Annabelle wrote:
You won't have any choice for skydiving in few days. Do not worry, you'll get use to this client. All what it will do, is to give you the usage of the old "broken" physics (I hate when they say that :roll: ) with all the feature of the normal client. It's the best of both world in skydiver terms.

You have everything everyone else has
AND you won't kneel
AND you won't break (BTW...if we were to kneel & break like that in reality, the emergencies would be overload :lol: it's completely unrealistic)
AND you'll be able to combo
AND you'll be able to elevate yourself inside collision walls to reach their tops which is the basic of skydiving in URU

That sounds like it will be my best route for further progress.

Annabelle wrote:
Another example, the rope bridge... they glued it :wink: Since that entrance is for 80% of all the markers inside Ae'gura...it makes the exploration a little bit shorter. Apply this to all the ages: the normal client will be, in few days from now, something to avoid for skydiving/glitching playtime. For normal play, it will be up to your choice, I'm not going to critize the normal client on any other aspect than the skydiving aspect.

I will keep my eyes open for the new clients then. I keep trying to make progress with skydiving, run up against frustrations of continued failure for no apparent reason, give up for a while then come back and try again. I still want to climb, to get to the top of things and feel the old buzz again, so by definition it won't be easy.

Thanks for your help and time. And thanks as well to the guys who've put time and effort into making the variant clients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

AlanD wrote:
Annabelle wrote:

I first started exploring MOUL in November just before that issue blew up, and I downloaded Lyrositers testing client 912. Have now installed it and made some cautious forays into private ages, but was not able to see very much difference. Perhaps I need to try the few skydiving moves I have worked on so far and see if they are better or more consistent with this client. I also have a couple of others, not yet installed.

That's not the Skydiving client. That client is closer to 1.912; the Skydiving client is closer to 1.906. You couldn't see the difference because essentially, where physics were concerned, there weren't any. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:30 pm 

Basically AlanD, the effect is subtle.

For now the skydivers' build (I'll get used to it Lyrositor, don't worry :lol: ) and the normal build are mostly in appearance the same thing.

If you do jump, you'll see a difference. On normal, you'll kneel on landing and break a few pixels away from the desire landing spot. Climbing & doing stand jumps will make you kneel on every steps. You have no idea how it's annoying. I could bite anyone in my vincinity :lol:

On skydivers', where the physics are the old version, you don't kneel & you don't break on landing. Explorers, in general, dislike that, saying it's unrealistic, ok I respect their opinion, I don't think the same.

Mostly the changes in physics engine is not toward allowing kneeling / breaking much. It was to repair other aspects, people find annoying like inability to kick a kickable for instance. What I'm proposing is fairly simple: having the 2 versions: you play the normal game on the normal and you play & fully enjoy quests (involving skydiving) on the skydivers' :)

If you do wonder why breaking a few pixels aways is an important issue, it's because my quests, but not only mine BTW :wink:, are very precise. If you do, for example, a long-range jump...if I planned let's say, a move of 1,200 pixels in horizontal length, there's no room for 1,210 pixels. Those 10 pixels will get you off the track.

Fooling with collision walls is like jumping on strings. I'll always try to diminish the perpendicular landing for that reason. Sometimes, that's simply impossible and the advents of falling off using the normal client are high.

So all what I'm saying, if you want to play with the normal client, go for it. It's your choice not mine. The skydivers' is more fit though for this particular activity. And in the future, ONLY combos will be undoable with the next new version to come of the normal client. Thus, adding a good reason to have in your bag, the 2 clients side-by-side if you're going to play "skydiving" stuffs.

Do not worry much, I'll make a big announcement in few days. For now, I'm overload with stuff. I began working on 1 or 2 things of my published work 3 months ago ...and ended up digging a monster :lol: literally. I'm trying to calm the beast and it will be over, hopefully (for my sanity) in about 1 to 2 weeks. Then new annoucement will come and you (whole community) shall be surprised.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next