It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:00 am 

Hi,
New (Kickstarter) player here and loving this game, but now I'm at a dead end. I've been able to gather all the items from the ages that I needed and now upon going back to the cave from Gahreesen, the cave does not load. I have tried for 2 days now. I'm getting good at jumping the ledge to the door...not necessarily something I want to be good at! The screen does flash that it is loading something, then goes black. I can find the quit button in the blackness and go back to the login screen.

So here is what I've done to try to fix this problem after researching for 2 days:

Added both the launcher and explorer to firewall rules just in case, though I have not had problems with the game otherwise.

Deleted Tos.txt and the updater appeared to reinstall files (hopefully correcting any possible corrupted files)

Tried over and over and over (in case it was a link problem with the server)

Rebooted my computer. Then tried the game without starting anything else on my computer.

Changed the graphics to a few different configs, though I never changed it originally from the default. I tried it in windows mode, and also modified the compatibility on the exe with no change in the problem.

I believe that is everything I found as suggested fixes. I'm hoping someone has another suggestion, elsewise, I guess I'm done playing which would be really sad for me.

Here's my system info:

Win7 64-bit
    i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (4X4GB), 4 DIMMs

Thanks for any help you can give me. I hope I can get this resolved as I was really enjoying the game.

Best regards,
Liralin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Greetings and welcome to the cavern!

How long do you wait before killing the game? Sometimes, the Bahro Caves take a reaaaally long time to load.

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 am 

Vector Cramp wrote:
Greetings and welcome to the cavern!

How long do you wait before killing the game? Sometimes, the Bahro Caves take a reaaaally long time to load.

Greetings!

Today I let it sit at the black screen for about 45 minutes and no change. Should I try longer?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Liralin and welcome to the cavern!!

This reminds me of a bug I ran into a long while back now (and which turned out to be a graphics glitch somewhere in my laptop settings). The symptoms I encountered were very like yours (I don't remember which Bahro cave it was ATM, though). Because I was with another explorer at the time, he was able to inform me that I had indeed arrived in the Bahro cave. It turns out that I simply couldn't see anything.

With that information, I got some technical help at the Genius Bar (yes, I'm on a Mac, running MOULa via Cider) and after trying numerous fixes, they finally had to reinstall my OS to get rid of the bug. They described it as a case of an "evil incompatibility" between some unidentifiable software and my graphics hardware/settings.

I realize this may have nothing to do with the root cause of your own symptoms, but it might be worthwhile to have a buddy go to Gahreesen with you to see if you both have the same trouble, or to find out if you are "blind" there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Liralin wrote:
Today I let it sit at the black screen for about 45 minutes and no change. Should I try longer?

No... 45 minutes is waaaaaay too long. Have you been able to enter any Bahro cave perhaps from any other Age?
The Bahro caves are extremely buggy. I doubt that the majority of players has not has a problem once (or twice or in my case about 50 times). The best solution is to retry.
My suggestion is unless this is the last cave you must visit try to solve another Age. This game is non-linear. As you finish your time online each day, give a Bahro cave a retry (sadly there are more than one). I bet that one day very soon, for no reason, they will start working for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 am 

Thanks everyone for responding to my request for help. I haven't had problems with the cave until the leap from Gahreesen to go back for the second round. I'll try to finish the other two ages I have left to do and then go back to this one. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Good luck, and Welcome (or, as we say, Shorah!) to Myst Online, Liralin!

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

shorah Liralin

Launching the game in admin mode (right click the shortcut, in properties) is always what you have to try first (and also, use a compatibility mode) and even if you have an administrator account on Windows.

keep us informed...

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:13 pm 

janeerah wrote:
shorah Liralin

Launching the game in admin mode (right click the shortcut, in properties) is always what you have to try first (and also, use a compatibility mode) and even if you have an administrator account on Windows.

keep us informed...

Thank you for the tip! I tried this method and the first day tried a dozen times no change, but yesterday the stars aligned and I finally finished that area and I think completed this first part of the journey!

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm now moving on to other ages and loving it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just joined this week, too, and I'm having HUGE problems.

I can't get any of the Bahro caves to work, really. I think I've probably linked to a Bahro cave 80 times, between pod portals and Er'cana and the four Journey ages, and it's worked 8 of those times. Totally random, almost never successful. Makes it pretty hard to finish anything.

On top of which, a bug that seems to be pretty rare - falling through the chair at the end of Ahnonay - I'm getting every single time. 12 consecutive times, I've fallen through that chair, despite restarts and deleting TOC and all the other advice I can find.

Grrrr. I want to like this, I'm a really big Myst fan, I loved Uru:CC but these are both basically game-ending bugs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:02 pm 

Thank you, Lecke!

Same here since three frustrating days!
Every hint that was given so far brought me no step further.

I am always having the same problem with entering the Bahro cave.
From at least 30 times I entered the cave only 5 times.

Dear Cyan, from what I read so far only in that very forum, this a MAJOR BUG that keeps many players from having fun with your game!
Needless to say, they all can't succeed the game and cannot get a step further, while our frustration level increases immensely.

Here is my configuration:
Windows 8.1
Uru Client version 1.918
Uru launcher set in Administrator mode
Uru launcher set in Windows XP compatibility mode

Re-installed Myst Online onto another machine with Windows 8, set to same modes
This machine got a different resolution, different graphics card, different processor, etc.

Of course Myst Online is a great and stunning game (!), but...
==> Assumption: Regardless what system and configuration we use, Cyan did program this travel link in a lousy way.

1. Will this thread be read by Cyan programmers?
2. Are they already aware of that problem?
3. How big is the chance of an updated version?
4. When?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

From what I understand, the odds of a fix are basically zero. Which is understandable for a free product, I suppose. I'm not expecting anything to change, I'm just wondering if anyone has found anything that makes either of these bugs less prevalent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Long time player here and I have started having this same problem as the others with new avvies and older avvies alike...I haven't changed anything on my computer recently when everything was working fine...I did have a problem earlier ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26900: ) but I thought it was just a random thing

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:59 pm 

Lecke wrote:
From what I understand, the odds of a fix are basically zero. Which is understandable for a free product, I suppose. I'm not expecting anything to change, I'm just wondering if anyone has found anything that makes either of these bugs less prevalent.

Sorry to hear you guys are having an even harder time with the caves than I had. Part of my success may have had to do with how I was dealing with it. I would attempt to enter the cave. Wait about 2 minutes. If it stayed black, I alt-tab to do other things on my computer like email and such. After 5 minutes or so, I alt-tab back and see if there is a change. If not, then I shut down the game and tried again later. That's how I was able to get back in by now and then alt-tabbing back and forth.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:22 pm 

Charura wrote:
Long time player here and I have started having this same problem as the others with new avvies and older avvies alike...

Yeah, after seeing this thread, I just offhandedly tried to hop into the Bahro cave from Gahreesen with my avatar-- i finished Yeesha's journey awhile ago... did this a couple days ago and i encountered the same problem. Screen stays black & the cave doesn't load.

Edit to add.. well, have to take that back, cuz I just NOW entered the Bahro cave from Gahreesen and am in it as I post this... there was somewhat of a loading delay, not more than 3 or 4 minutes at most. But seems like there's been a bit of a linking delay for me anyway, today...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next