It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Forum accass problems
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 pm 

Anyone else having problems accessing these forums? I am getting occasional 403 errors and the site then says it is a gateway problem.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

no, I don't have that problem, Jamie.

But you have prompted me to ask whether anyone else finds that when they visit the new Cyan forums for the first time after switching on their computer, their whole system freezes for a few seconds or even a minute or more, while the site loads?

Subsequent visits are ok until I switch the computer off and then I get it again the next time I visit after that.

Sorry to divert your topic - I guess I should post this over on the Cyan forums :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:56 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I'm not having any issues with these forums. Gateway problems tend to be more at your local router or ISP although 403 (Denied) will come from the destination webserver. However, that destination might not be the one you expect, e.g. if your ISP tries to redirect you to a fault message page. Either way, I suspect it's more likely to be a "local" issue.

The Cyan forums use a fairly complicated template that loads all the forum sections and then collapses them behind the big front menu; that probably uses CSS/javascript tricks to delay showing things until the whole page has loaded which might take a little time (I've got a fairly fast connection at 40+Mbps so I've never experienced the freezing that Annabelle mentions). Once the page is cached locally it doesn't need to wait so long next time around, but the cache will need reloaded again after a restart.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:30 pm 

Not only that, but the Cyan forums also use a number of cusom fonts, which are downloaded everytime you visit the page, unless they are cached. The cache is probably system-wide and thus only emptied once you shut down your computer.

By the way, I've tried manually downloading and installing the fonts. That doesn't help with loading times as it seems to always use the files from the URLs set in the stylesheets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan's cloud provider likes to crap out and send HTTP 500 errors at night US time. If you hit refresh enough times, it will let you view a "live version," so you connect directly to Cyan, rather than this crappy cloud service.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
(I've got a fairly fast connection at 40+Mbps so I've never experienced the freezing that Annabelle mentions).

Flattered to be confused with the great Annabelle but it was yours truly, Acorn! :lol:

I've just done a speed check on my broadband and got 30.5 Mbps so I'd be surprised if it was connection speed.

I deduce, dgelessus, that you've experienced a similar issue?

edited just before I posted:
AdamJohnso wrote:
Cyan's cloud provider likes to crap out and send HTTP 500 errors at night US time. If you hit refresh enough times, it will let you view a "live version," so you connect directly to Cyan, rather than this crappy cloud service.

Aha!

Thanks to all for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 am 

Hmm.. maybe I got the error number wrong. When I get the error, I'm prity sure it's coming from the sever, as it says the name of the host and stuff. Next time I see one I post the error message here.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:28 am 
Obduction Backer

My error number is 411...what do I do now? Just kidding , of course :mrgreen:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:33 pm 

Charura wrote:
My error number is 411...what do I do now?

Specify the length of your request, in bytes :P :

Error 411 - Length Required:
The request did not specify the length of its content, which is required by the requested resource.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:12 am 

My "REAL" first post on this thread :lol: :wink:

I had some issues earlier around 5 PM EST to login or to navigate on the forum. I even get booted out by a 504 - Bad Gateway... maybe I tried to take the highway by a wrong access road, dunno :? .

At this time of night, I don't have any issue at all of course. I tried other forums and other website with heavier stock to load and I didn't have any issue at 5 PM EST except on this forum. There's something going on.

---

I'm glad Acorn solved the unsolvable around my "earlier" presence on this thread because at first when I read Mac_Fife's post, I was wondering how my name appeared there in the first place. :lol: I do write a lot of stuff but I'm well enough balanced :lol: :wink: to know when I write something and when I don't. I read the thread right from the start because of Jamie's unique style :wink: though but the last post for me before I left the forum was the one of Adam yesterday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 pm 

Yeah, for some reason, when I was writing my post I was convinced that Annabelle was the last poster in the thread (but maybe it was last poster in the forum section) :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

It was obviously Karma that Greydragon got your name wrong at around the same time as you got mine wrong, Mac :lol: - thanks for the lovely Kingdom of Fife pics! :mrgreen:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]