It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:40 pm 

New here. I used playonmac, which downloads wine and helper apps. Mac 10.9.5, uru live 1.918
Problem is no sound in play, none at all. But the computer sound is working fine.
When I go into the audio settings the 'mute' button is checked. 'Audio mode' slider is not adjustable and is at its lowest setting. Other sliders are adjustable. If I uncheck mute it has no effect. If I quit and log in again mute is checked again. If I change graphic settings, I get a message that the changes will only be effective if I quit and log in again but I get no such message on changing the audio settings. Not sure if this is a mac problem or URU problem.

Other prob is almost certainly a mac one: pressing f1 just alters the brightness so I only have one viewpoint available.

Any advice? Could playonmac have missed a library download?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:34 pm 

denmans wrote:
Other prob is almost certainly a mac one: pressing f1 just alters the brightness so I only have one viewpoint available.

By default most F-keys on Apple keyboards trigger functions like brightness or volume control instead, as you've noticed. ;) To use them as normal F-keys, hold the fn key (in the bottom left corner of your keyboard) while pressing them, or go into the Keyboard section of the system preferences and change the default behavior.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:29 am 

dgelessus wrote:
denmans wrote:

By default most F-keys on Apple keyboards trigger functions like brightness or volume control instead, as you've noticed. ;) To use them as normal F-keys, hold the fn key (in the bottom left corner of your keyboard) while pressing them, or go into the Keyboard section of the system preferences and change the default behavior.

Well thanks dgelessus, been using Macs since '93 and didn't know that :oops:
I suspect the sound problem won't be so easily sorted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Try this: under Configure > General > Wine version, click the + button. From the left list, select the 1.5.21 engine and let it install. Then select it in the Wine version list.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:25 pm 

korovev wrote:
Try this: under Configure > General > Wine version, click the + button. From the left list, select the 1.5.21 engine and let it install. Then select it in the Wine version list.

Thanks korovev but didn't work

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:12 am 

korovev wrote:

:D
sorted now, I think, only used it for a few minutes. INFO for those with similar probs:
Did a bit of research. Lots of sound probs in the distant past, sometimes resolved by downloading sound decompression files, whatever they are. Anyway, what I did was remove playonmac and all associated files including wine and started again. Intended to use just pure wine but eventually used wineBottler which downloaded wine 1.6.1.
Don't know if it was a prob with playonmac (which did keep bringing up error notices), the wrong version of wine or corrupted files but I've got sound!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, not many remember to post how they sorted things out :roll: .
I had nothing to add because I had the same issue, but changing the engine version solved the problem, so I couldn’t reproduce your case.

Here you can find more ways to play Uru Live on Mac OS ;) .
It’s interesting how Winebottler is recently becoming popular.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.