It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Yep, I found that out. Thanks for the .zip file; there are 3 files inside. I tried the "MystOnlineLauncher.app" from my desktop, but I got the error message "The application 'Launch Application' encountered an error."
Where do I put these files?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:42 pm 

wstrohm wrote:
Yep, I found that out. Thanks for the .zip file; there are 3 files inside. I tried the "MystOnlineLauncher.app" from my desktop, but I got the error message "The application 'Launch Application' encountered an error."
Where do I put these files?

Try to fix the installation later wstrohm
Same here, looks like an outage for the server.
6 hours ago i was online, empty cavern, empty hoods and kick-off messages.
There was no automatic message saying the server was closing, at tha moment.

KI #56877

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

The server is indeed hiccuping, but the problem here is likely the Automator applet that cannot find either the files or the game (I hoped it were more portable :roll: ). I made it according to Stone’s instructions; you could open and edit it with Automator, or better yet make a new one.

The scripts assume the wrapper is called Myst Online.app and resides in the Applications folder.

Also, the shell scripts usually end up being associated to TextEdit, but require to be opened with the Terminal, using the menu in the Info window.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Fourth Method: MacPorts (not recommended)
If you installed MacPorts, open the Terminal as admin and type the command “sudo port install mystonline-cider”. If you don’t know what that means... then this method isn’t for you ;)

I maintain the MacPorts Myst Online ports. If there's anything I need to change to make this a recommended installation method, let me know. It's the method I prefer to use, since I already use MacPorts for other things, so it's my intention to keep this a viable method to install Myst Online.

dgelessus wrote:
It is worth noting that the MacPorts method doesn't work on newer versions of OS X for whatever reason, some part of the main installation (not the dependencies) refuses to work, but I don't remember off the top of my head what exactly that was.

The fact that the MacPorts Myst Online ports don't work anymore was not reported to me until yesterday. I've now fixed the mystonline-cider port and it works again for me on Yosemite. I'm still working on the mystonline-wine port.

If these ports break again in the future, please report the problem to me, either by private message here or by filing a ticket in the MacPorts issue tracker. I can't fix what I don't know is broken! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, now I know who to call :D I thought it had been reported.

I’ve marked it as not recommended not because of the port itself, but because MacPorts’ installation can seem a bit daunting for the less technically inclined. It was actually the first version I played with (on an older Mac OS), but ended up tinkering more with the other methods. Perhaps “recommended if you already have it”? :) In the meantime, I’ve edited the comment out.

Is my assumption correct that mystonline-cider is the same as the Cider wrapper, with the data files moved in a separate location? If it is, it should have the same issue with the bugged prps. Perhaps you know what the issue is?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Perhaps “recommended if you already have it”? :)

Pretty much, yes. Once you start using MacPorts, it becomes nice to install as much software as possible using MacPorts so that you have a central place to upgrade.

korovev wrote:
Is my assumption correct that mystonline-cider is the same as the Cider wrapper, with the data files moved in a separate location?

Yes.

korovev wrote:
If it is, it should have the same issue with the bugged prps. Perhaps you know what the issue is?

To be honest I've been away from the cavern for a long time and am not aware of the issue. I read that some files should be deleted on every launch, but I was able to play without doing that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:36 am 
Obduction Backer

It was Ainia who found the fix. I do it before logging in every time and it works just fine. I find it useful to keep a shortcut to the dat folder on my desktop...

1) In Finder, go to your Myst Online application
2) Select it, right click and choose Show Package Contents
3) Go to Contents/Resources/Myst Online
4) Right click Myst Online and choose Show Package Contents
5) Go to Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/dat/
6) Find and delete these two files:
 GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp and 

GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp
7) Go back to your Mac Myst Online application, double-click and login as usual

Member of MystiTech Productions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Maybe should have posted here instead of starting a new topic, but FYI I have a Cider download that is working 100% on my Mac. I wrote my procedure here:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27623

Last edited by wstrohm on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

lteyn63 wrote:
6) Find and delete these two files:
 GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp and 
GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp

I have modified the Myst Online ports in MacPorts to do this automatically at launch.

I previously said I was able to play the game without this change. I quit and relaunched the game several times with no problem. Then, without knowingly changing anything, I started getting an UruExplorer exception after logging in and agreeing to the EULA. I still get the exception, even with this change now in place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:55 am 
Obduction Backer

rainbow wrote:
I started getting an UruExplorer exception after logging in and agreeing to the EULA.

Never mind; it just didn't like the 1920 resolution I had selected. Trashing the Myst Online Preferences folder reset the resolution to default and I could then select a different working resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Great, I tried it; at first it showed the bug, but after a few launches now it seems to work for me.

Keep in mind this trick of deleting those prps is temporary and should (hopefully) be no longer necessary once a new version is rolled out. Unless that new version completely break compatibility with Cider :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Looks like the agony is over :D
Can anyone confirm Cider no longer needs deleting the two prp files? It seems so on my side.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah korovev and fellow Mac explorers,

Thus far, things are back to normal with my Cider client... no need to delete the two files in order to get to the cavern successfully.

Our two data points thus far say the tribulation is over! Let's get some more folks to test this so we can be sure. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

I do it automatically now, and just did it now when I went in to get a beret, lol! 'll try it the next time I go in.

Member of MystiTech Productions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:10 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

korovev wrote:
Can anyone confirm Cider no longer needs deleting the two prp files? It seems so on my side.
As I'm not a Mac user (despite my name ;)) I can't be definitive, but the issue arose because of a work around when the previous attempt to add the new clothing went wrong. As that is now fixed and the work around is no longer in place the problem should be resolved.

What happened was that the previous update needed to be backed out, but because some people had already downloaded the new files by the time the problem was found Cyan needed to "delete" the erroneous content. But the patcher can only add new files or replace existing ones not delete anything, so the only way to erase the content was to overwrite it with something else, thus a couple of dummy files were copied from existing, valid content files. The snag there is they have the same signatures as their "normal" counterparts and that, loosely speaking, is what was creating the problem for the Cider wrapper. Now that they're unique files again, the issue ought to be gone.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next