It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Find my old account!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:02 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Well there's a whole semantic issue about what the modified external client does - I mean, arguably (and taking it to the silly extreme) you could modify the code that gets compiled when you build the external client such that it includes all the features of the internal client. And the internal client is OK, for people who actually have a need to use it, know what it's capable of and are aware of the risks.

For the kind of example you give, where what's basically done is to re-create the behaviour of a different version of external client then I don't really imagine there's an issue for Cyan. You could get a philosophical argument from some purist players that "client X" allows other people to do something that wasn't intended, looks unnatural and breaks their immersion, but that's a different issue.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

1. If enabling (part of) those clothes requires a setting change on the server side, doesn’t that means that it could theoretically be done at any time, with no change to the vanilla client?

2. Are there any risks in using an internal client like the external one, i.e. without ever touching the console or the logs, or using flymode? And in typing non-ASCII characters?

3. The ‘immersion’ argument can be easily pushed in all the wrong directions, e.g.: if we were to really respect ‘immersion’, besides completely ruling out skydiving and bots, shouldn’t the ResEng torch-helmet be mandatory for all explorers (D’ni is a precarious, gigantic cavern in a seismic area!), while the DRC vest (or a more unique uniform) be reserved for the DRC staff?

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:38 pm 

korovev wrote:
1. If enabling (part of) those clothes requires a setting change on the server side, doesn’t that means that it could theoretically be done at any time, with no change to the vanilla client?

Yes enabling ceturn coathing items should not requrie a change to the cleint just some time on Cyan's part.

korovev wrote:
2. Are there any risks in using an internal client like the external one, i.e. without ever touching the console or the logs, or using flymode?

If you only use features of the internal client that are aviable in the extrenal one, there is no danger. However it's fairly easy to use an interanal only feture by accident and that could cause problems for others if you don't know how to 'get out of it'.
korovev wrote:
And in typing non-ASCII characters?

I have no clue if this is dangrus or not.

As for 'immersion':
In a sense Skydiving break 'immersion', since people are seen in areas that one could not realistically get too.

As for cloaths:
The shirts and hats are stolean *gasp* from DRC personale like dugless sharper and explores can choose to be stupid and not where are hardhat. Then again users of this forum could probally fill a forum thread with all the illogical things in this game. (at the end of the day, it's just a game and meant to be fun).

I forgot to return to the thread.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2