It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 pm 

I lost my long standing avatar Zane to the recent MOUL accounts reset.
This thread is to find out how and if explorers long standing avatars taken by others explorers, for whatever reasons withstanding, can be recovered back to the original explorer.

Is it possible? Or is it too technically difficult to do? Can a Lost Avatar directory be started to see how many explorers lost avatars to others? Even if to ID those to the community of avatar names that have changed hands to protect former owners reputations from getting exploited.
A Lost Avatar Name Directory would also help identify if this is just an isolated problem of say maybe like under 20 and then maybe not so hard to fix or deal with?

Technically speaking, I realize the simplest solution would be for us to create the same name again with a slight variation to get it accepted by the server.
That actually that raises another technical question as to whether capitalization matters in creating same name differences.

It may seem like a minor problem for technical experts to dismiss this and just insist those with lost avatar names just make another one using some slight variation like Zane1 or Zane. . However, there still exists the loss of reputation, confusion to be caused and later potential damage of misuse.

I receive an email to my ticket from Vicki

Quote:
Shorah Jahmen!

I have reached out to the person who has created an avatar named “Zane.” I have asked this person for an alternate name for this avatar and I will get this changed once I hear back from him/her. I will let you know when the change has been made so that you can go in and create your “Zane” avatar.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Quote:
Shorah Jahmen!
Good news. I heard back from the player's XXX who used the Zane name. Her XXX"s name has now been modified to Z'ane and Zane is now yours for the taking-back! I just made the change in MOULa, so I would recommend you get in and get your Zane avatar setup :) Very glad I was able to help you out here!

Kind regards, Vicki

Wanted to post the results of my lost Zane avatar and how Cyan made it right.
:D
MY E-MAIL BACK: I am so excited! Thank You Vicki! How the story goes . . . so I went back into my account that had Zane originally because that seemed the smart and right thing to do. I put in Zane & checked Male and got the name was already in use error. :shock: Hmmm so I put it in again and got in the use error again! :( Went back to read your email of the go ahead to see if I missed something. Nope! Went back and tried again with error! Tried again error! and tried one last time! and YAY it worked! :-) Thanx!

I got Zane back! Zane wasn't my main character avatar, but after Gametap MOUL and MOUL, again he should have become over all those years and time fairly well known to most.

Last edited by Jahmen on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

In another thread, Chogon wrote:
Hopefully, everyone is able to get the avatar names they had in the past - please don’t try to steal someones before they get back online. If there is a dispute over an avatar name please use the TroubleMaker reporter http://account.mystonline.com/trouble/ so we can track it and try to resolve the dispute.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:38 pm 

Chogon wrote:
In another thread, Chogon wrote:
Hopefully, everyone is able to get the avatar names they had in the past - please don’t try to steal someones before they get back online. If there is a dispute over an avatar name please use the TroubleMaker reporter http://account.mystonline.com/trouble/ so we can track it and try to resolve the dispute.
[quote]In another thread, Chogon wrote:
Hopefully, everyone is able to get the avatar names they had in the past - please don’t try to steal

WOW I hadn't expected you Chogon to respond. And yes I did find the TroubleMaker reporter and made a report. And yes this topic touches on stealing names as well as those inadvertently taken.
Chogon, please post back something a bit more definitive about HOW an avatar name dispute gets resolved for us. If only just to put our minds at ease.
Does the explorer who has someone else's avatar name when identified, How do they get found or identified? Is somehow contacted, How do they get contacted? When contacted are told to delete the name and then the original explorer is contacted HOW? to then create it?
Or is there more to the process for determining who truly has the right to the name done?
Assuming rightful ownership gets determined from what those contacted with the other name tells their side of it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Was Zane your main avatar or is it Jahmen? Which one did you use to develop a reputation in the community? If Jahmen is your main community avatar and Zane was one that you mainly used casually with friends, then the person who took the name might not have been aware that it was in use before. Since Zane is a name in the real world, it's possible. Hopefully, it wasn't done maliciously.

If you don't believe it was and you're simply concerned about the possibility of future confusion, then I would suggest you add more than just a number or punctuation to distinguish the name from the other person. To make sure everyone knows which one is which, add something that would make it obvious like Zane J., Zane Jahmen, Zane (Jahmen) or something along those lines. And, whatever you choose to add, always use it so that everyone will know it's you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Because one thread about this is not enough :roll:

Can we lock this nonsense now?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:39 am 

I receive an email to my ticket from Vicki

Quote:
Shorah Jahmen!

I have reached out to the person who has created an avatar named “Zane.” I have asked this person for an alternate name for this avatar and I will get this changed once I hear back from him/her. I will let you know when the change has been made so that you can go in and create your “Zane” avatar.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

AdamJohnso wrote:
Because one thread about this is not enough

Can we lock this nonsense now?

Thank you again Adam for your overwhelming sensitivity to topic. I take it YOU didn't experience the problem personally then and so it must be nonsense.
Posted about it here in Technical to find out how those of us effected might find out how it works technically to get back our avatars. Posted in Events for those who might also have strong feelings about the topic EFFECTING THEM and perhaps wanting to meet to support others effected.

Adam, my apologies from me and all those alike with all of our nonsense feelings and emotions we just let rule us into posting such nonsense.

Last edited by Jahmen on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Actually, the name of original post is helpful in that it is direct and will point to Chogon's suggestion again.

I may have been upset as well if my name was no longer available. I don't know - it didn't happen to me.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Maybe we will get a third thread now... :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 am 

LOL Tempting, but I think the 2 we now have covered it sufficiently, unless you feel compelled Adam to start a third?

OK Adam, you know I'm just teasing you back now Right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:04 am 
Obduction Backer

I am outraged and will now go and create a new thre ... just kidding :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:30 am 

That was scary.

I thought I'd lost it all. Again.

I had just about completed everything... all Ages except Minkata, all clothing except the boots, all Relto Pages except the Dock, had the FireMarbles in a good place, all the Sparklies, FireWorks....

Then I'm back to the little menu box that asks me to name my first avatar. I didn't do it. I checked here first. When I went back in later, I had my regular (not original) account back and the avatars I've been playing for the last, what, five or six days, and all of the accomplishments intact.

If I had created a new first avatar, would that have flatlined everything I'd done since the restoration?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Jahmen wrote:
Chogon, please post back something a bit more definitive about HOW an avatar name dispute gets resolved for us.

I do have a list of the old avatar names that went with what accounts. There is no other data other than the names. But it does allow Tor'i to search to see who had the name first.
At first, we have to assume that the name was taken inadvertently and find a amicable resolution. If it was deliberate or an amicable solution can't be found then other measures can be taken.
BTW, Tor'i can change the name of an avatar so it can be worked out with no progress lost.

Thanks,
Chogon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:52 pm 

Chogon wrote:
Jahmen wrote:
Chogon, please post back something a bit more definitive about HOW an avatar name dispute gets resolved for us.

I do have a list of the old avatar names that went with what accounts. There is no other data other than the names. But it does allow Tor'i to search to see who had the name first.
At first, we have to assume that the name was taken inadvertently and find a amicable resolution. If it was deliberate or an amicable solution can't be found then other measures can be taken.
BTW, Tor'i can change the name of an avatar so it can be worked out with no progress lost.

Thanks,
Chogon

Hey that's good to know. Is there any way you can change the name of a Neighborhood? For some reason when I created a private one with my Jeffrey avatar, it says Jeffrey's(1) Neighborhood. I don't know how that happened since it was a first neighborhood creation. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:07 pm 

@J'ffrey:

It happens because someone created a "Jeffrey's Neighborhood" already. At least that is what I recall from before the wipe.

I won't enter into the technicalities here... but I could easily create "XYZ's Hood" using Annabelle, so it doesn't have to be your own name.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Annabelle wrote:
I won't enter into the technicalities here... but I could easily create "XYZ's Hood" using Annabelle, so it doesn't have to be your own name.
I, for one, would like to know how and I'm sure a lot of others would, too. All this time, we've been creating avatars with special names just to start hoods and you're saying that's not necessary?