It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: changing email address
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

hello,

i am planning to change the internet provider and possibly my email address will get changed as well. in the case it does, will i still be able to log into the game ? please advise.

Kirk of Xeniphers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have one account that uses a long defunct email address, and it still functions.

I do have one avatar that is missing from the account that still shows up in my primary avatar's buddy list.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah kirk,

Yes, your old email address will still work to access the cavern (I have an long-dead one I still use).

If you try to use your new email address, it will treat it as a brand new account (which you would need to create here), with a brand new name and brand new avatar.

Bottom line, the shard is unable to update your email identity (though you *can* update your account information for the forums).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:59 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

As commented above, your login for the game simply uses the email address as a "username", so the fact that your real email address changes does not affect your ability to log in to the game.

However, there is a "but" here that you need to be aware of: If, for any reason you need to reset your password you will not be able to use the online, self-service password reset service unless you have access to the email address associated with the account and you will need to contact support and request that the password is changed for you.

You can change your email address on your Forum account by going to the User Control Panel and selecting "Edit account settings" from the menu on the left.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

What happens to that email account after you loose it? Is it locked or can I go take that email address as my own? Would I then be able to use this email address to have Cyan ( and any other place you have used it ) reset your password and send the verification to your old email that I would now control?
We should not be using email address or anything that is owned and controlled by a third party as proof of identity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Stone. wrote:
What happens to that email account after you loose it? Is it locked or can I go take that email address as my own? Would I then be able to use this email address to have Cyan ( and any other place you have used it ) reset your password and send the verification to your old email that I would now control?
We should not be using email address or anything that is owned and controlled by a third party as proof of identity.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm 

That's one of the reasons that I use different email addresses for different services. Apart from limiting that potential impact it helps to identify who might be sharing my address based on which address spam gets sent to.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:53 pm 

I have just got a new laptop and had to re-download URU,
but have realised that i sign in using an e-mail address that is now defunct. (Luckily I remembered the password).
Please can anyone tell me how do I change this so that I can use an address that is being used. As if anything happens to this I cannot access ythe email that the account is linked to???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:07 pm 

I'd recommend you just keep signing in with the existing email address - there isn't any way that you can change the address associated with your MOULa account yourself and I'm not 100% sure if Cyan can do it easily. It only becomes an issue if you need a password reset and Cyan can do that for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:47 pm 

I spoke to Cyan a couple of hours ago about this question as it's come up a few times recently. Essentially, Customer Support do not have a way to change the email address on your MOULa account. What that means is that if you ever forget your password and no longer have access to the original email account then you'll need to contact Support and ask them to manually reset it for you. You will probably need to supply some details to prove that you own the account, such as the email address (obviously) and maybe one or more of the avatar names on the account.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:44 am 

That means, if you ever forget password OR your corresponding email account. Your PW is worth nothing if you can't remember your "user name" (i.e. your email account). :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:35 pm 

In any case, the email address is what identifies the account, so if you forget that, which I'd suggest is broadly less likely than forgetting a password, then yes, you've got a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:24 am 
Obduction Backer

@Mac
Using sight specific identities is always a good idea. That way if someone acquires your identity from one place, it would not be useful anywhere else... but would do nothing to alleviate the issue here.

@Bettyblue
On the shards (and most of the Internet) you can go into the user panel to change the contact info associated with your identity. Except your game login here, Cyan irrevocably locked your identity to the email address you originally supplied. As far as I know there is nothing you can do.

@ Mac
An email account is something you have. Everything else in your account here is something you know, but anyone with access to that account also knows too. How would you go about proving your identity to Cyan if I now have the only proof of identity/contact info Cyan has for you? Rather, How would you prove your not trying to steal it from me?

Seems like a very bad idea for Cyan to be resetting passwords if you do not own the email locked to said account.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:20 pm 

Hmm Stone has a good point, Cyan should need to know more then avatar names to manually reset a password. I know it's off-topic but what do you people think of tieing forum accounts to MOULa accounts?

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:35 pm 

I simply used avatar names as an example, it's not necessarily what would be asked. From what I'm told, no-one has ever asked Customer Support to reset a password, so the issue has never come up. As for linking accounts to the forum, that's highly unlikely as it would require serious changes to the auth server. I think the key takeaway here is simply not to forget your MOULa password :?