It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:01 am 

I installed the new patcher for Build 918.OpenUru#131 (see viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28143), but whenever I try to log in using MOULa client, I get the black screen of death before seeing the Explorers selection screen. I think the server does not recognize my account. I did make it to Relto once, but only lasted 30 seconds before getting the black screen.

I was able to log in using Lyrositor's Skydiving client.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and experienced no problems before today.

Any suggestions? (One explorer stated I need new DLLs, but I don't know where to get them.)

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:00 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

If you were missing DLLs tyhen you'd get a pop-up error telling which DLL it was looking for. I don't think that's your problem. But something else might be missing or out of date - try deleting the tos.txt file and restarting the launcher to force a check of all files.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:14 pm 

I am troubled with a phenomenon similar to this.
In the case of me, it is like that.
(The error message is like that)

UruExplorer.exe - System error
Because a computer does not have d3dx9_27.dll, you cannot start a program.
Please install a program again to solve this problem.

(This message translated a Japanese sentence into English.)

Do I really need a reinstallation?
Is there means elsewhere?

Thanks,
Grape

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:22 pm 

Grape, you simply need to install a slightly newer version of DirectX 9c from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=34429

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Susa'n wrote:

Any suggestions? (One explorer stated I need new DLLs, but I don't know where to get them.)

That's my test system configuration as well, and it works well. So your environment is not the problem.

(I've seen your problem when it could not load an age from the game server, which might be a file permission problem as well in your MOULa folder. Are you running the update as an Administrator?)

I would follow Mac's suggestion and force a scan of all the Uru files to update any that might have been corrupted (including the new client and patcher binaries).

_R

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:23 pm 

FYI, on Windows 10 the "normal" DirectX 9 installer (linked by Mac_Fife) doesn't work anymore. In that case you need to use the "redistributable" DirectX installer instead: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:32 pm 

That's probably a better link than the one I had, even for Win7 and XP. MS have really been messing about with their download locations and many old links now end up trying to get you to download Win 10.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Since that is a redistributable installer I'll see what Chogon thinks about including it in the files that get downloaded from the MOULa update server in our next delivery to Cyan.

_R

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:23 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
If you were missing DLLs tyhen you'd get a pop-up error telling which DLL it was looking for. I don't think that's your problem. But something else might be missing or out of date - try deleting the tos.txt file and restarting the launcher to force a check of all files.
rarified wrote:
Susa'n wrote:

That's my test system configuration as well, and it works well. So your environment is not the problem.

(I've seen your problem when it could not load an age from the game server, which might be a file permission problem as well in your MOULa folder. Are you running the update as an Administrator?)

I would follow Mac's suggestion and force a scan of all the Uru files to update any that might have been corrupted (including the new client and patcher binaries).

R
Mac and Rarified, thank you for your suggestion to delete the tos.txt file. I deleted the file and the new patcher was installed. I did have to use admin mode to install the patcher. Unfortunately, I still received the black screen.

Then I uninstalled MOULa using Windows Control panel and did a fresh install using Cyan-recommended Fileplanet mirror (http://mystonline.com/en/play/). The new patcher was installed (again using admin mode), but I'm still receiving the black screen.

Lyrositor's UruSkydiving client was removed during uninstall but I was able to download and copy it and the missing libeay32.dll to URU Live folder (viewtopic.php?p=399942). Skydiving client works fine and I have access to the Cavern. :D

I'll continue to experiment with solutions for MOULa client while awaiting any other suggestions you may have.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:53 am 
Obduction Backer

It's a long shot, but one of your configuration settings might be related to this. You can put them aside temporarily and go back to the defaults to see if that lets you get past the black screen.

To move the configuration to a saved location, go to your "Documents" folder. You will find a folder named "Uru Live". Rename it to something like "Uru Live Saved".

Then start the Uru client again. You probably will have to go through the initial setup of graphics and the tutorial again, and any of your audio, graphics, and navigation settings will go back to the "factory defaults". Also your KI will not have any of your saved images; don't worry they are in the "Saved" folder. See if once you go through the login and update process if the black screen occurs again.

If not, the old saved configuration had something to do with the problem and you will have to re-set all of your custom settings. You can copy the KI images from your "Uru Live Saved\KIimages" folder into the new "Uru Live\KIimages" folder to restore your KI images. And play once more.

If that did not fix the problem, then delete the newly created "Uru Live" folder in your "Documents" folder, and rename the "Uru Live Saved" folder (or whatever you called it) back to "Uru Live".

Be sure you have exited any Uru client before doing any renaming or copying of files or folders in the Uru Live folder(s).

Let us know if that helped.
_R

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:05 am 

I dunno.. maybe there's some "weird stuff"-- an unofficial term-- with the newest update.

I did have an issue with the "patcher update". I got an error message about how the previous patcher could not be found to be deleted. I tried running MOULa as an admin, which got a different error message, saying the previous patcher was still in use... at this point, being "not very technical" I was kinda lost... so I restarted my computer.

Upon which, my MOULa icon quit working entirely, because the "urulauncher.exe" had vanished from my computer.

I uninstalled & reinstalled MOULa .. and as of now, no worries. I'm in Relto now, and even my self-made campfire is still here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:12 am 

rarified wrote:
It's a long shot, but one of your configuration settings might be related to this. You can put them aside temporarily and go back to the defaults to see if that lets you get past the black screen.

To move the configuration to a saved location, go to your "Documents" folder. You will find a folder named "Uru Live". Rename it to something like "Uru Live Saved".

Then start the Uru client again. You probably will have to go through the initial setup of graphics and the tutorial again, and any of your audio, graphics, and navigation settings will go back to the "factory defaults". Also your KI will not have any of your saved images; don't worry they are in the "Saved" folder. See if once you go through the login and update process if the black screen occurs again.

If not, the old saved configuration had something to do with the problem and you will have to re-set all of your custom settings. You can copy the KI images from your "Uru Live Saved\KIimages" folder into the new "Uru Live\KIimages" folder to restore your KI images. And play once more.

If that did not fix the problem, then delete the newly created "Uru Live" folder in your "Documents" folder, and rename the "Uru Live Saved" folder (or whatever you called it) back to "Uru Live".

Be sure you have exited any Uru client before doing any renaming or copying of files or folders in the Uru Live folder(s).

Let us know if that helped.
_R
Thanks again, Rarified. I tried your suggestions. Renamed URU Live folder to URU Live Saved. Ran MOULa. Typed in email address and password. Then got black screen. :P I deleted new URU Live folder and renamed URU Live Saved to URU Live.

FWIW, when I run WhoM, my avatar name appears in top right corner, but no info appears in Buddies List, KI Mail, Neighbors or Recent tabs. But I can see info in Public Ages tab. And so I think MOULa client recognizes my account but doesn't recognize my KI?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:16 am 

HarveyMidnight wrote:
I dunno.. maybe there's some "weird stuff"-- an unofficial term-- with the newest update.

I did have an issue with the "patcher update". I got an error message about how the previous patcher could not be found to be deleted. I tried running MOULa as an admin, which got a different error message, saying the previous patcher was still in use... at this point, being "not very technical" I was kinda lost... so I restarted my computer.

Upon which, my MOULa icon quit working entirely, because the "urulauncher.exe" had vanished from my computer.

I uninstalled & reinstalled MOULa .. and as of now, no worries. I'm in Relto now, and even my self-made campfire is still here.
Thanks, Harvey. Your new patcher didn't install because you didn't use admin mode. You got the second error message because you tried to re-run MOULa too quickly. I'm very happy that the fresh install worked for you! /cheer :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:43 am 

Explorer Mathius_dragoon stated that when he had a problem logging into MOULa's new build, the problem was fixed after he installed Microsoft's DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer "dxwebsetup.exe" (available at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... g=en&id=35). I did the same and was able to log in using MOULa client. The Relto age screen appeared in windowed mode (possibly because I had set that mode using Skydiving client), but when I used Graphics Settings to switch from windowed mode to full screen mode, I got the black screen again.

It's possible that the DirectX download didn't fix MOULa. Instead, I think I had switched to windowed mode using Skydiving client and that mode enabled me to log into MOULa in windowed mode despite the DirectX download.

Using Skydiving client, I can use windowed mode and full screen mode. WhoM works fine when MOULa is in windowed mode but doesn't work when MOULa is in full screen mode.

And so my problem with MOULa has to do with graphics. My settings (which worked fine with old build) are:
Resolution 1280x720 (16:9)
Windowed - X (black screen when unchecked)
Vertical Sync - X
Display Shadows - X
Shadow Quality, Graphics Quality, Texture Quality, Anti-Aliasing, Anisotrophic Filtering - highest settings (slider all the way to the right)
Gamma - lowest setting (slider all the way to the left)

My graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 6450. Drivers are current.

Last edited by Susa'n on Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:17 am 
Obduction Backer

One other question about your machine Susa'n, what resolution (h x w in pixels) is your screen?

_R