It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why can't I chat?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:34 am 

I am very new so please bear with me; why can't I chat. I ran into some folks in a neighborhood and they said hello. But I wasn't able to respond. I read that I just need to start typing, but nothing happens. Is there some sort of command I have to do? Is there a type of command prompt I have to turn on?
I've read all sorts of posts here, and looked online, googled it, watched you tube videos, but nothing works. I am baffled. What am I missing here? What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: Why can't I chat?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:11 am 
Obduction Backer

shorah (welcome / peace) and welcome here :D

it's probably (quite sure) that you didn't get your communication device yet. look for a place to go to, from neighborhood. you will find 'something' (can't and don't want to spoil 'too much' here)

Enjoy!

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:17 am 
Obduction Backer

janeerah wrote:
shorah (welcome / peace) and welcome here :D

it's probably (quite sure) that you didn't get your communication device yet. look for a place to go to, from neighborhood. you will find 'something' (can't and don't want to spoil 'too much' here)

Enjoy!

Even if he didn't get that, chat should still work :| . I wonder if we customized the controls and added a key to start chat?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:33 am 

janeerah, I do have my KI; but I cannot chat?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

you should if you found it. it shows on your screen. just select where to chat (look on it)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:52 am 

There is nothing for chat at all. I cannot toggle the 3rd button down. There is no way to open chat/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:34 am 
Obduction Backer

there's an event at 13KI time (Mountain time) tomorrow in the public cavern. see you there if you can.
we'll try to find out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
This is indeed baffling. You should be able to chat just by typing whether you have a KI or not, and whether the KI is open or not. There's no special button to push or anyplace special in the KI to type.

One thing you might try - just to see if you can type at all in Uru - is to try to write a KI mail message. Click on the little book icon in the center of the KI and it will automatically open up a blank KI mail message. Click inside that message and see if you can type something there. This is just a test to see if there's another issue at play with the keyboard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:32 am 
Obduction Backer

One other thing to try is pressing your <Tab> key and see if that allows you to chat. There is absolutely no reason why it should work but I know several folks who say that they must use that key to begin chatting. All of these players are from Europe. It shouldn't make a difference but so far no one has any explanation why these players alone need to hit the <Tab> key.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:16 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
This is indeed baffling. You should be able to chat just by typing whether you have a KI or not, and whether the KI is open or not. There's no special button to push or anyplace special in the KI to type.

One thing you might try - just to see if you can type at all in Uru - is to try to write a KI mail message. Click on the little book icon in the center of the KI and it will automatically open up a blank KI mail message. Click inside that message and see if you can type something there. This is just a test to see if there's another issue at play with the keyboard.

I have tried various things. What I have discovered is that I cannot type anywhere. I cannot label a screen shot, or make a journal entry. Nor can I make the third button down on the right toggle as I see online I should be able to do.
I decided to try to create a new explorer, and also learned I cannot type in a new name. So I am stuck with this explorer for now. I wanted to see if I made a new one would he have the same issue. This function used to work as I am using a second explorer I made at the start; the first one seemed to have problems so I deleted it and began fresh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Voyager wrote:
Nor can I make the third button down on the right toggle as I see online I should be able to do.
Don't worry about this button right now; I just tried testing it and can't make it work, either. It probably requires that you click on someone's name to chat with before clicking on the button.

Voyager wrote:
I have tried various things. What I have discovered is that I cannot type anywhere. I cannot label a screen shot, or make a journal entry.
Okay, that's important information and may be a clue. When anyone logs into MOUL, their number pad unlocks automatically and they can't type numbers on it. I'm thinking that maybe something similar is happening for you, but to the whole keyboard. So, to help the technically knowledgeable people figure it out, tell us about your computer system - the operating system, etc., but especially what type of keyboard you have. And, your mouse (that might factor in as well).

Edit to add mouse.

Last edited by Tai'lahr on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:21 pm 

The "button" in the bottom right cannot be clicked as far as I know. It only changes appearance depending on whether your chat "target" is set to "Age Players" or a single player.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
You should be able to chat just by typing whether you have a KI or not, and whether the KI is open or not. There's no special button to push or anyplace special in the KI to type.

For anyone else coming here with the same question (since we have now established that Voyager’s problem is a different one), note that this is only true as long as you have not configured a key to start chat. If you assign a key to the “start chat” function in the key map settings (reached from “advanced navigation settings”), only pressing that key will bring up the chat input line, blind typing will not. The default setting for a new avatar however is to have no key assigned to that function, in which case what Tai'lahr says applies, i.e. typing any character whose key is not assigned to any function will bring up the chat input line (and insert that character). (There are some quirks with that mode, such as that the Z key is permanently assigned to a function that is missing from the key map dialog (strafe modifier) and therefore does not bring up the chat input line, but I digress. I haven’t heard of what HenryMikel says but it’s probably something similar.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Voyager wrote:
Nor can I make the third button down on the right toggle as I see online I should be able to do.
Don't worry about this button right now; I just tried testing it and can't make it work, either. It probably requires that you click on someone's name to chat with before clicking on the button.

Voyager wrote:
I have tried various things. What I have discovered is that I cannot type anywhere. I cannot label a screen shot, or make a journal entry.
Okay, that's important information and may be a clue. When anyone logs into MOUL, their number pad unlocks automatically and they can't type numbers on it. I'm thinking that maybe something similar is happening for you, but to the whole keyboard. So, to help the technically knowledgeable people figure it out, tell us about your computer system - the operating system, etc., but especially what type of keyboard you have. And, your mouse (that might factor in as well).

Edit to add mouse.

I have a Dell Inspiron 7746, Windows 8.1, 64 bit, NVIDIA GeForce 845M, Dell PS/2 compatible wireless mouse, PS/2 compatible keyboard, 12 Gig memory. The only odd thing from normal laptops is that this has touchscreen capability and a backlit keyboard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:55 pm 

This may sound stupid... but can you bring up the touch onscreen keyboard and try typing with that?