It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:42 pm 

Since your avatar can jump, it obviously has to do it somewhere in the game, and it has to do it completely reliably. (Most of you already know where I'm talking about.)

I discovered that it took as many as 17 (maybe more) hits of the spacebar to get my avatar to jump (once) (anywhere in the game: you can test this in Relto just fine). It turned out that my keyboard (or the driver) was at fault. The problem was a MS Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (v1.0) (USB). It works 100% reliably for ordinary typing, but for gameplay it loses keystrokes. Changing the Jump key mapping didn't help, so it isn't the physical key.

An older PS2 (MS) keyboard works just fine. (One avatar jump per keystroke.) (Same setup otherwise.)

It also seems that navigation with other keys is more responsive, but those are more forgiving than jump if a keystroke is missed so I can't be completely sure.)

Whether that's really a keyboard bug, a driver bug, or a game bug (in cooperation with the keyboard) I won't speculate. This is on W10 with no special keyboard driver (just the one that installs when you plug in the keyboard). (Although not a gaming machine, the machine has plenty of horsepower for Uru, so I don't think it's a processor speed issue. This was occurring with all graphics features set at minimum.)

DonnKey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:43 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Any issues reported in Device Manager for the keyboard or its driver?
Run DxDiag and check the "Input" tab and see if there's anything reported there - if you only copied in the run-time DLL manually rather than re-installing DirectX you may have a mismatch that only affects you when DirectX is in use, i.e. when playing Uru.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:56 pm 

Full install of DX does fix this.

DonnKey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:18 pm 

A bit more followup: even with the PS2 Keyboard, the ability to reliably jump "rots" over time. I noticed it over a day or so of being connected and playing off-and-on. Restarting Uru (quit and restart) cures it for a while, but over time it will "rot" again. If it should matter, I use the Win key to get back to the desktop, but I've noticed no direct correlation between that and jumping becoming unreliable.

Workaround is obvious, but tedious: restart the game. It's easy to test... just jump standing still, and see how reliable it is.

DonnKey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:24 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Hmm... I've never seen that effect. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse (have done for a few years now) and I'd have expected those to be more"fragile" than any wired devices. I can't really think of any reason for what you describe.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:39 am 
Obduction Backer

I have absolutely no idea why it is happening but I can offer a guess based on similar Windows keyboard behavior I have experienced ingame.

1) If it seems to completely "rot" or turn off I wonder if it could be a function of the Windows Accessibility function "Sticky Keys". Basically if you hit the same key 5 times in a row (over a short time) Windows will ask if you want to turn Sticky Keys on. The problem is that you will not see the pop up because MOULa is running.
So next time it happens, use the <Windows Key><D> combination to reach your desktop. If you are fast enough the pop up may still be active - though VERY unlikely. But maybe you can activate it again by hitting whatever key has "expired" in game (probably the space bar) once or twice.
If nothing pops up then you only lost a few seconds. If it does pop up then you can turn Sticky Keys off using your Control Panel->Accessibility->Keyboard attributes.

2) When something similar happens to me in game I can sometimes correct it by clicking on the Wrench/Spanner pop up icon and changing a few settings on the Keyboard/Mouse option. I usually change them, leave them for a second and then reset them back to my likings.
If that doesn't work then linking out of the Age and back normally works - somewhat faster that having to restart. Remember, even if you are having problems using the normal keys or mouse, hitting the <F3> Key will automatically open your Relto book.

These things may seem a bit crazy but they have worked for me and worst case they may stimulate some other players to offer suggestions.