It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:08 am

All times are UTC

Should the posting of "Neighborhood Pellet Scores" be restricted to neighbors only?
Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:42 pm
Yes; MOULa should be modified so that a hood's right D'ni imager can only accept postings of pellet points from explorers who are members/neighbors of that hood. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
No; A hood's right D'ni imager should continue to accept postings of pellet points from any explorer, regardless whether s/he is a member/neighbor of that hood. 59%  59%  [ 20 ]
AdamJohnso's Option 3 described in his first reply below. 35%  35%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 34
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:42 pm 

Presently, the right D'ni imager in any neighborhood ("hood") will accept pellet points from any explorer, regardless whether that explorer is a member of that hood (a "neighbor"). The accumulated pellet points are then displayed as "Neighborhood Pellet Score" in a separate splash screen. However, if it were technically feasible for a fan developer to modify MOULa to restrict the posting of pellet points to neighbors only, would you like this modification to be made?

Please feel free to respond to this poll and/or to post your opinions below. But folks, please refrain from making any ad honinem arguments (attacks on an argument made by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument), no matter how passionate you may feel about this subject.

In addition, if you're aware of Cyan's intentions for the left and right D'ni imagers, please share this information. For example, did Cyan intend the left imager to be restricted to neighbors, but the right imager to be available to everyone?

Thanks!

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)

Last edited by Susa'n on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Option 3: Make it consistent with the "Top 10 Heek Points" display and make it a hood leaderboard of who has the most pellet points. Thus, removing the ability to upload points, period. The KI now shows your all time pellet score. (This is actually maintained on the server right now and can be done!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:15 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Some folks enjoy the game of giving the gift of points to other hoods, accumulating vast (millions) of points before the donation. But I like Adam's idea of an additional score "page" on the imager for hood members. Would a player's score move with the player to another hood? Or would it display just the total earned while a member of that hood?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:22 am 

AdamJohnso and JWPlatt, thank you for your input. I've edited the poll to add Adam's Option 3. I'm sorry this change wiped out the previous poll votes; I wasn't aware that would happen. :P I promise I won't make any more edits to the poll. Carry on!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:20 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Some folks enjoy the game of giving the gift of points to other hoods

Historically this has happened for years. Fountain Girl has noticeably started off many Hoods but "she" is not alone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Personally, I still think the pellet board should display the accumulated points of each donor, rather than just the individual donations. This would encourage people to drop pellets more often, rather than having to "save up" points before they can hope to have their name displayed on the board.

Otherwise, I think the current system of allowing anyone to post points should be kept. If you don't want non-neighbors posting in your Hood, keep your Hood private.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:49 am 

Collection pellets is a good fun, I do not understand the intention to change the current status.
Limiting the possibility of donation pellets to one hood kill the spirit of competition and discourage many players. The effect will be as in Heek - empty scoreboards.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:25 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I don't think there's anything much wrong with how it works just now. Adam's "Option 3" has a sense of logic and consistency to it, but it would remove an "action" from the game. There's little enough to do in Uru right now for established players and taking away the choices of when to upload pellet points and where they are uploaded feels to me like it'd be taking away too much.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:10 am 

I would prefer that a hood's right D'ni imager be restricted to that hood's neighbors only. First, I think a hood's Neighborhood Pellet Score would become more meaningful if it reflected only its neighbors' points rather than the postings of any explorer who happened to pass through that hood. Second, the neighbor(s) who belong to a Nexus-accessible semi-public/private hood or perpetually private hood with invitations would no longer have to concern himself/herself/themselves with receiving unwanted "gifts" of pellet points, no matter how well-intended the gifting visitor may be; after all, each gift is permanently displayed on the hood's imager, as happened in my own hood (Susan's Hood) during the one-hour period I made it public for an event I was hosting.

Ideally, it would be nice if each hood could toggle its acceptance or rejection of gifted points, but I doubt that would be technically feasible.

These are the reasons I voted for AdamJohnso's Option 3. If this option isn't implemented, then my second choice would be for "Yes; MOULa should be modified ... ."

Interestingly, current poll results show 54.55% in favor of gifting (12 out of 22 votes) and 45.45% opposed to gifting (10 out of 22 votes). Please continue to vote, regardless of your position in this matter!

P.S. I spelled "ad hominem" incorrectly in my OP. :P

Last edited by Susa'n on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:41 am 

I've been bangin' around MOULa a few years now under various avatars, goofy nicknames... partially completed multiple playthroughs....

I think it's been all of twice, I've ever seen one of my "neighbors" online at the same time as me, under ANYof my avatars. I don't really consider myself a member of any one neighborhood, and never really have. Tossing together a bunch of random people into a "hood" never seemed to have much of a point, to me... especially as I usually never see those neighbors. Most of the time, I don't bother with it. Half the time, I'll just quit "DCR Bevin # XXXXX" and create my own hood, to have access to the resources.

There are several folks I "hang out" with, and there's usually a particular hood we use for staging events on a regular basis. Sure, i could JOIN that hood....

But, I dunno.. just seems like an unnecessary step and, to an extent a loss of freedom-- to only be able to add a pellet score to one hood, and I must be a member of that hood. So I definitely voted # 2... "any explorer, regardless...".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:01 pm 

Sorry Susa'n, but I am deep in training for the next D'ni Olympics in the Pellet Posting competition category and I don't want all that shoe leather to go to waste.
The surface in Er'cana always seemed a little gritty to me in places.

I am still the (airbrushed) Silver medal holder and I quite fancy another head-to-head with Ro'Jetthe. Hoping to strike Gold this time; we'll see.

If any of the suggestions so far are implemented, they all would appear to end the possibility of future competitions - if/when they take place.

Besides, I quite like seeing Fountain Girl too. What would happen if she were deprived of her occasional excursions to the silo and new Bevins? We may never see her again.
Can't let that happen!

As has been said many times before on this thread, players like to leave a small contribution on the imager and i would hate to see that come to an end.
You may never see a 1 point posting ever again!
N :( t c 8) 8) l.
Nor many others of any magnitude for that matter.

If the Bevins could be toggled to accept or decline "Gifts from a Friend" and it was possible to arrange, that would certainly have my vote.

As things stand, my vote is for Status Quo.

I wouldn't have believed I would ever say that in any context, but maybe the basic repetition of the music and of gathering pellets is somehow, appropriate.

See yah! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it would be a problem if people donated a very large amount of pellet points in hoods not liking it, but i have not seen such pellet drops running in the milions yet. Small drops will dissapear off the imager
sooner or later.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:43 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

DaH wrote:
If the Bevins...
<wags finger> Tsk, tsk. There can be only one!

Off with your head.

(But good luck on your Pellet Challenge. Donations to the Pellet Points hood welcome.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:29 pm 

DaH, thank you for your humorous take on this matter. I'm chuckling.

You make a good point with respect to pellet points competitions that are specifically designed to have all points posted to one dedicated hood, such as the D'ni Olympics hood competition. I wouldn't want explorers to be deprived of such future competitions.

If a fan developer such as AdamJohnso (of Gehn Shard) were able to add an additional splash screen to the left or right D'ni imager in a hood, which shows only each neighbor's individual accumulated points and the sum total of all of the neighbors' scores, would you all be in favor of that? Adam, would you please explain whether this is technically feasible?

Thanks everyone for placing your votes and posting your opinions (and for keeping this discussion civil and even humorous).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Certainly. Although, there are some technical limitations that JWPlatt seems to be hitting on -- on Cyan or MOSS shards, if someone leaves the Neighborhood and joins another, their old total at the time of departure will remain, unless they're outscored... This is pretty much the same situation as heek points, though. On H'uru based clients AND servers, there is some additional functionality that allows the generation of accurate leaderboards based on age owner lists, so that isn't an issue. But I guess that doesn't count here :P