It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:44 am 
Obduction Backer

While angry at the textures of End Of Ages I plotted a comparison study highlighting where URU might have become a mainstream phenomenon, not that Cyan intended URU to be a mainstream phenomenon but for the sake of URU's development team.

I come to this again and again, the idea that there was an optimum hardware configuration outside of just "Expensive PC". It's 2016(!) and I'm seeing URU/EoA screenshots at their best for the first time (on Facebook).

The Online MYST game Cyan built could have used a touch screen interface so that the symbol making of EoA COULD have been a part of the game from the beginning.

I've said this so many times, posting this topic t a cyan forum is like exhaling. Repetitive? Sure. But try not doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

So what is the "optimum hardware configuration" for URU? And what exactly was wrong with the previous screenshots on Facebook? I've never had problems getting 1280 x 1024 screenshots in-game on my hardware.

(FWIW: Intel Core i7 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI motherboard, Kingston 16 GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, EVGA nVidia GeForce GT 740 (low profile) graphics card, Asus VB178 monitor. Running Mac OS X 10.10.5 using the Cider client. "Heaven" graphics benchmark returns 32.1 frames per second.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

wstrohm wrote:

So what is the "optimum hardware configuration" for URU?

The Wii U, obviously, have you heard of it? It's like a piece of hardware specifically designed for URU.

wstrohm wrote:
What exactly was wrong*?

Nothing, I just don't remember them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The Wii U, obviously, have you heard of it? It's like a piece of hardware specifically designed for URU.
No, I haven't heard of it. Can you list its hardware specs, or maybe just the hardware parameters of the Wii U that differentiate it from a PC's specs?

[Edit - Never mind, I Googled it and found this page:
http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/tech-specs/. But the specs are vague. IBM CPU, AMD graphics. Capabilities seem good, but I prefer my computer setup. (No mention of URU that I could find.)]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

wstrohm wrote:
Quote:
No, I haven't heard of it. Can you list its hardware specs, or maybe just the hardware parameters of the Wii U that differentiate it from a PC's specs?

[Edit - Never mind, I Googled it and found this page:
http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/tech-specs/. But the specs are vague. IBM CPU, AMD graphics. Capabilities seem good, but I prefer my computer setup. (No mention of URU that I could find.)]

The relationship between the hardware and the game, in such a way as to be called an "optimal configuration" for the game does not, I suspect, hinge on giving the game the best graphics but on giving the user base as a whole the most uniform and appropriate interface for the game. While it is true that URU:live(etc) did not have the slate gameplay mechanics, my original "thesis" I guess you could cal, it, is that given the appearance of slate mechanics in EoA, a slate such as the Wii slate in the hands of all players, uniformly, had the potential to dramatically how the game was perceived.

Had URU: Live launched as a Wii U game_ you run the market simulation and tell me how it could have gone down.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

We need to rename this to the MJ Online: Uru Live forum based on several of these recent posts...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
We need to rename this to the MJ Online: Uru Live forum based on several of these recent posts...

MYST Jam?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=6257052

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am not entirely sure what this talk is about needing an "expensive pc". As people on this forum have already proven, Uru runs pretty good on a toaster. With an insecure operating system aka Windows XP.

End of Ages would have been cool on the Wii U I guess, but the Wii U was 7 years too late.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

The main problem with EoA was the rather poor pattern recognition of the Tablet. No exotic hardware can fix that.

Frankly, I’m happy the Tablet didn’t show up in MOUL.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=MJ&defid=6257052

Nah... Too many shrooms in Teledahn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
The main problem with EoA was the rather poor pattern recognition of the Tablet. No exotic hardware can fix that.

Frankly, I’m happy the Tablet didn’t show up in MOUL.

If URU had been developed for and released on the Wii U

and

the gameplay mechanics of EoA had been in URU from the beginning

then they couldn't possibly be the same as what ended up in EoA.

If these ideas are really so impossible for anyone else to come up with than maybe my dream of being a part of developing it can come true.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:31 am 

You can't just straight compare a RISC processor like the one in the Wii U and a CISC processor like the ones in most PCs.
With that said, though, Uru runs pretty well on old hardware (the game is 12 years old, after all) so if it was recompiled for PowerPC architecture and had an interface overhaul, it could probably run just fine on a Wii U. The question is, can you be environmentally observant enough through a TV that's fifteen feet away, as opposed to a PC screen that's three feet away? There have been ports of the other games for consoles, and I can't help but feeling that the biggest reason they didn't sell very well was because you just can't get as immersed and be as observant via a TV.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:17 am 
Obduction Backer

So, the theory proposed here is that MOUL wasn’t a commercial success because people couldn’t scribble with their finger.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:58 am 
Obduction Backer

It's not unreasonable to posit that had URU been developed as a console game multiplayer for a console with a tablet that the focus and direction might have changed its reception in the marketplace.