It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:44 pm 

Since there's no option for playing with gamepad in Myst Online: Uru Live, I tried several different programs to simply map the keyboard keys to my XBox 360 controller, which I use for all my Steam and other games. Well, this thing works with everything else but except for Myst Online. The program said that some games might not work if the game is designed to only recognize physical inputs, which they said could be to prevent cheating, etc. I couldn't imagine this game would have that since there's really no real competitive advantage of playing with a joystick in this game.

So Cyan, or whoever else is knowledgable about these kinds of things, is there any any way possible to be able to use a controller in this game? I hate controlling a 3-D game using my stupid island keys on my laptop. So many laptops today have island-style keys and the arrow keys are so close together, it's just nuts trying to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

What program are you using? I've used joytokey in the past and that worked with anything. That was with a Logitech F510/F710.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:04 pm 

DariusWashington wrote:
I hate controlling a 3-D game using my stupid island keys on my laptop. So many laptops today have island-style keys and the arrow keys are so close together, it's just nuts trying to use it.

By "island keys" do you mean where the two rows of arrow keys are squished into a single key row under the right shift key?

This isn't related to your joystick/gamepad issue, but if the size of the arrow keys is the main problem, you can change the keybindings to use WASD. For most controls you can assign two keys, e. g. both up-arrow and W for walking forward.

The way I have my key bindings set up for Uru is WS for forward/backward, A/D for strafe (which is normally on comma and period) and Q/E for rotation. If you prefer you can use A/D for rotation to mimic the arrow keys, though I personally map them to strafing because that's how most games with WASD controls work.

If you use WASD for movement, you might also want to set T or Enter as the "start chat" key in the controls. By default you open chat by typing any letter, which won't work well if you bind many letter keys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:05 pm 

Tomala wrote:
What program are you using? I've used joytokey in the past and that worked with anything. That was with a Logitech F510/F710.

I tried that one 2nd. Did you try it with Myst Online though? And I don't meean Uru: Ages Beyond Myst.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:07 pm 

dgelessus wrote:
DariusWashington wrote:
I hate controlling a 3-D game using my stupid island keys on my laptop. So many laptops today have island-style keys and the arrow keys are so close together, it's just nuts trying to use it.

By "island keys" do you mean where the two rows of arrow keys are squished into a single key row under the right shift key?

This isn't related to your joystick/gamepad issue, but if the size of the arrow keys is the main problem, you can change the keybindings to use WASD. For most controls you can assign two keys, e. g. both up-arrow and W for walking forward.

The way I have my key bindings set up for Uru is WS for forward/backward, A/D for strafe (which is normally on comma and period) and Q/E for rotation. If you prefer you can use A/D for rotation to mimic the arrow keys, though I personally map them to strafing because that's how most games with WASD controls work.

If you use WASD for movement, you might also want to set T or Enter as the "start chat" key in the controls. By default you open chat by typing any letter, which won't work well if you bind many letter keys.

Yes, those keys. I don't like using any of my keyboard for controlling avatars, especially when navigation is most of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

DariusWashington wrote:
Tomala wrote:

I tried that one 2nd. Did you try it with Myst Online though? And I don't meean Uru: Ages Beyond Myst.

Yeah, works perfectly fine with both the analog and the D-Pad on both DirectInput and XInput. I just logged in to doublecheck. It should work since all it's doing is pressing keyboard buttons via the gamepad.