It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Loved Uru, but originally had to play it on wife's Windows computer, and I'm strictly Mac since 1986. Built a Mini ITX "Hackintosh," my first Intel-based "Mac." Downloaded "Crossover" by Codeweavers, and "MystOnline: Uru Live" from their website. Wow, I could play Uru! BUT, unacceptable audio performance (loud noises or no sound were my only choices), under Crossover 13.2.0. Then, Crossover was updated to version 14.0.0 (now 14.0.1), and using that, MOUL would not even finish loading through the first "Updating" screen, freezing at 1 second before the end of that sequence. So Crossover no longer worked.

Read lots of posts on this forum advising Wine, Cider, different versions, etc. But I know nothing about Wine except that Crossover uses it. So I tried Cider, and it ALMOST worked. Found that the Cider version resulted in two files that prevented getting to the avatar selection at the beginning of MOUL, but removing those files each time before opening the Cider MystOnline: URU Live.app did work. And sound was fine!

Wanted to simplify the MOUL opening process, and "korovev" provided a key. After more stumbling around, I finally got to a place where I didn't need to slog through that long path to the two guilty files. So I decided to write this "cookbook" procedure for anyone who has spent as much or more time than myself trying to resuscitate MOUL, but without good results.

I used to write test procedures as part of my job, and I am writing this for folks as ignorant of computer stuff as I am, so please don't be insulted; instead, pity the poor uninformed user! This is a "log" of my eventually successful venture... short version.

1) Downloaded the http://www.mediafire.com/download/liw9om1aw7wdl6l/Uru_Live_Cider.dmg file, opened and installed it.

2) Downloaded "korovev's" http://www.mediafire.com/download/xae59qfbjofnitg/CiderScripts.zip Automator Script file, and opened it.

3) OK, at this point I attempted to fire up MOUL using the "MystOnlineLauncher.app" file in korovev's folder, but once again got the Access Violation. So here is what I did next:

4) Opened System Preferences/Security and Privacy, unlocked the lock, put a check mark in "Automator," re-locked lock.

5) Opened Automator (my very first time). Clicked on "File/Open" and opened "MystOnlineLauncher.app" in k's folder. I got this message: "The behavior of this workflow may have changed because of the reasons below:" [and] "The workflow was saved with an older version of the "Launch Application." [etc.] So it seemed that the application to be launched needed to be changed.

6) Herein there is a 3-hour tail-chasing which culminated in:
a) Removed and replaced the Get from Finder files, which seem to have had a cross-dressing issue, i.e. the name of file at beginning of path changed sex at end of path. Maybe not a functional issue, but I used the path in my computer just to be safe.
b) Left Automator and navigated through Finder as follows:
Applications/Myst Online.app (from Cider download - right click)/Contents (left click)/Resources (left click)/Myst Online.app
c) Selected Myst Online.app and clicked on File/Make Alias.
d) Moved "Myst Online.app alias" to desktop, then into Applications, where its name changed to "Myst Online copy.app"

7) Re-opened Automator and did a File Open on the "MystOnlineLauncher.app" therein.

8. In the Launch Application window, changed selection to "Other," and navigated the Automator's application selection box to the "Myst Online copy.app" and chose it.

9) Did File Save on the open "MystOnlineLauncher.app" and closed Automator.

10) In Finder, dragged the "MystOnlineLauncher.app" to my Dock.

11) Restarted my computer on my secondary disk, ran TechTool Pro 7 on the primary disk (Volume Structures, Repair Permissions, File Structures, Volume Rebuild... all OK.

12) Restarted on my primary disk and clicked on the Dock icon of the Automator "MystOnlineLauncher.app"

13) Played URU. No problem with video or sound. There is still that "Runtime error" when quitting, which delays getting the Finder back, but I understand that is a programming error in MOUL, so don't know how to fix that.

If you choose to try this as a last resort, please feed back that it worked (or didn't)!

BTW...

My Hardware:
Gigabyte GA-H87-WIFI motherboard, Intel Core i7 4770K CPU, Kingston 16 GB HyperBlu RAM, two Samsung 840 EVO SSDs, Thermaltake SD101 case, ASUS 17" monitor, Bose Companion 20 speakers

My Software:

Mac OS X 10.10.1, tonymacx86.com bootloader and peripheral support, lotsa other stuff. (Crossover now works perfectly on URU: CC under version 14.0.1.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:21 am 
Obduction Backer

As an aside for anyone who has upgraded to Yosemite, you may want to check and implement this before using your new OS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Update: my fix above did work for quite a while, but recently I began having the same loading problem. It still works sometimes, but not often enough... how can that be? I tried deleting all the files, downloading the .dmg and the Cider scripts again, updated all the paths, etc, but it still only loads about 25% of the time.

Weird. Computers aren't here to stay...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

"Myst Online: Uru Live" is now working fine. Someone on the other end of the link must have done something that fixed all my problems. Or it's a New Year's gift.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Now back in that sticky vat of "MOULasses." (See http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=28633.) And of course now Crossover (version 16.1) won't play Complete Chronicles OR MOUL, and now Cider is being weird again.