It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is a cell phone really required? I can receive SMS text messages on my landline phone. (Have not tried it because I’m not giving Facebook my phone number.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
Is a cell phone really required? I can receive SMS text messages on my landline phone. (Have not tried it because I’m not giving Facebook my phone number.)

Is it that you actually receive the message in text format, or is it converted to a voice message? While we were testing the functionality, I tried using my landline, and it did not work (as expected). Mind you, my landline is through Ooma, so that might not be the best standard for comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Hmmm. When I try to visit the link sent to me by email for the account "upgrade", the tab that opens in my browser just spins forever. I disabled Ad Blocker Plus, entered *.mystonline.com in Trusted Sites on IE, and I even tried Chrome. The account.mystonline.com:443/.... URL from the email just spins and doesn't load a page nor does it present a popup as described in this thread.

Is the server for the account creation / upgrade process simply DOWN from time to time, or is something wrong on my end? I have no problem using the internet for anything else right now, so its not my connection at least.

Any great work of art revives and readapts time and space, and the measure of its success is the extent to which it makes you an inhabitant of that world - the extent to which it invites you in and lets you breathe its strange, special air. Bernstein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:16 am 

I wonder if there is a way to hook a small computer system to a land line on Cyans end for something like this

If you would like to have an account for Mystonline associated with this land line number press 1
If your interested in obtaining a FCAL press 2
If you forgot to bring donuts press 3
if you have a sense of humor that is so out in left field that its selling tie-die T shirts in the parking lot press 9

E=mc2
Energy = Milk Coffee 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:12 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

J'mee wrote:
Hmmm. When I try to visit the link sent to me by email for the account "upgrade", the tab that opens in my browser just spins forever. I disabled Ad Blocker Plus, entered *.mystonline.com in Trusted Sites on IE, and I even tried Chrome. The account.mystonline.com:443/.... URL from the email just spins and doesn't load a page nor does it present a popup as described in this thread.

Two thoughts...
Chogon has very recently enabled HTTPS security on the accounts server, so check that the URL begins HTTPS:// rather than HTTP:// (it's possible that the email text may not have been updated correctly).
Secondly, make sure that you have JavaScript enabled as that is needed for the pop-ups.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Last edited by Mac_Fife on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

J'mee wrote:
Hmmm. When I try to visit the link sent to me by email for the account "upgrade", the tab that opens in my browser just spins forever.

Try again today. Yesterday, I was adding HTTPS and I had to take the site down several times during the day. All should be good now.
Also, I redirected all http://account.mystonline.com to https://account.mystonline.com So, you should be able to use the old links.

--Chogon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 pm 

Christian Walther wrote:
Is a cell phone really required? I can receive SMS text messages on my landline phone.

I think it's the service provider who translates them. Facebook probably does not do this.

Last edited by Jamie Marchant on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

https://www.accountkit.com/v1.1/dialog/ ... tate=moula

still says:

MystOnline:UruLive (MOULa)
A system issue occurred. Please try again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:56 am 
Site Admin

Doh! Looks like the Facebook interface for the text message doesn't like the HTTPS in the URL. So, I've revert account.mystonline.com back to just http (no https) and it account creation works now.

I will figure on Monday how to get all to use HTTPS.

Thanks,
Chogon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks so much, it worked just fine!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:44 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Just in case someone is confused, the correct URL is...

Jamie, please edit your first url, which will work once Chogon gets https working, to correct the double slash to a single slash.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:56 pm 

Ok. Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:07 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't think asking for phone verification is a big deal. Almost every website and game nowadays has 2-Step Verification which includes phone verification, it's to be expected now. If this is still a problem for some people then I feel that's on those people for not keeping up with technology and not the fault of the websites and games implementing these security measures, it's a norm now.

As for a child not being able to make an account; I feel this is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to deal with not Cyan. The parents can use their own phone or borrow someone elses or maybe get the kid a cheap rudimentary phone since it's probably a good thing to teach them how to use technology with how important it is nowadays. You can't expect a game company or website to cater to the one or two kids without a phone or kids whose parents don't have one.

I think they made the right call to deal with the griefers in this way. The actions of these griefers affect a lot more people (and Cyan themselves) than it would the maybe 5 people who might be inconvenienced into having to find a phone to use for verification.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:13 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Fay wrote:
...If this is still a problem for some people then I feel that's on those people for not keeping up with technology...

Heh!! I'm enthusiastic about, and all for, the solution Cyan is using, but as a software developer very much "up" on the latest technology, but also one who eschews mobile leashes (I don't own a cell phone), the very people you might expect to use such solutions, including several of us here, are those who know *exactly* what can be be done with a phone number and therefore avoid giving any of their personal information to social services like Facebook.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Almost every website and game nowadays has 2-Step Verification which includes phone verification, it's to be expected now.

It's expected that services have *opt-in* two-factor or two-step authentication. It's much rarer to *require* it. (Although, yes, that sometimes happens too.)

I understand that this is the best compromise available to Cyan at this time. However, it is a compromise -- it puts a burden on users, and that means some users either can't or won't sign up. Don't blame those users for being in whatever situation they're in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next