It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Uru complete chronicles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:40 pm 

I'm having trouble with this on my kids windows 8 LT. It installs, but after I click on play, nothing. Initially it said I needed to be admin, I fixed that. I went into compatibility and fixed that, which is win XP. I don't know what to do now. Anyone know a fix for this, I also plan to install all the other Myst games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Have you checked the Common Problems and How To Solve Them thread to see if there might be a clue in there?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:04 am 

You forgot to tell us which version you are trying to install.

Computer make & model ?

Uru complete chronicles 2 cds ? Steam version ? GoG version ?

Other hint for installation by Annabelle...
viewtopic.php?p=410333#p410333

Btw, I had problems running Riven on windows 7 and the fix was running it on outside player called "ScummVM". You can check my saga on Cyan forums starting here..
http://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?p=11740#p11740

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:06 am 

Thanks Tai'lahr, nothing in that thread is related to my problem.

Artic_Wagon it's Myst URU complete chronicles, 2 cds. LT is Lenovo p500, i7-3520m, 2.9ghz,
win 8 64bit. Display is Intel HD graphics 4000, Dirext X 9 is installed, I reverted back.

I have done what was posted in Annabelles link a few times, after you press start and get to the play page and press play, there is nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
My apologies, HEVY. I was oblivious to the thread title and just assumed this was about MOULa.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:44 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
My apologies, HEVY. I was oblivious to the thread title and just assumed this was about MOULa.

No problem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 am 

After thinking about you problem it seems that you are trying to play Uru CC through the game splashscreen after the install. Instead, go and get the shortcut "UruExplorer.exe" in the game folder to the desktop, It can be found on your computer / "C" drive / Program Files(x86) / Ubisoft / Cyan Worls / Myst Uru Complete Chronicles / Uru Explorer.exe (down below) / send it to your desktop
1- and adjust the compatibilities to windows XP 3 (or XP 2)
2- Dont forget to put a check in the box "Run as administrator"
3- click "ok" at botton of page
4- And play using that new shortcut

Edit with new infos,
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b0e?auth=1

Edit # 2
Are you certain you Cd's are very clean ?

Edit # 3
Have you tried disconnecting from the eternet / anti virus and firewall "off "?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:19 am 

Artic_Wagon wrote:
After thinking about you problem it seems that you are trying to play Uru CC through the game splashscreen after the install. Instead, go and get the shortcut "UruExplorer.exe" in the game folder to the desktop, It can be found on your computer / "C" drive / Program Files(x86) / Ubisoft / Cyan Worls / Myst Uru Complete Chronicles / Uru Explorer.exe (down below) / send it to your desktop
1- and adjust the compatibilities to windows XP 3 (or XP 2)
2- Dont forget to put a check in the box "Run as administrator"
3- click "ok" at botton of page
4- And play using that new shortcut

Edit with new infos,
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b0e?auth=1

Edit # 2
Are you certain you Cd's are very clean ?

Edit # 3
Have you tried disconnecting from the eternet / anti virus and firewall "off "?

I tried the first suggestion, there are lots of files but there is none that say Uru Explorer.exe, I searched far and low in every file, it's my kids LT, there is nothing else on it. I was able to do those steps in a setup file though on the CD before installing, and then again through the game after installation. As for the the anit-virus, I wouldn't even know how to change that to allow it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 am 

I am very sorry. I am out of ideas. :oops: :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

HEVY wrote:
I tried the first suggestion, there are lots of files but there is none that say Uru Explorer.exe, I searched far and low in every file, it's my kids LT, there is nothing else on it.

You'd need to have set the folder display options to "show known extensions", otherwise the .exe part of the filename won't be shown.

When you say "nothing happens" do you literally mean *nothing* happens or that you get a blank screen?

I've never tried to install Uru:CC on Win 8 (I kind of avoided Win 8 altogether), but I'd warn that if you're planning on installing the older Myst games from the original CD/DVDs then you will encounter some issues with those as a lot of the support they needed from Windows (and third party tools) is no longer present.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:29 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
HEVY wrote:
I tried the first suggestion, there are lots of files but there is none that say Uru Explorer.exe, I searched far and low in every file, it's my kids LT, there is nothing else on it.

You'd need to have set the folder display options to "show known extensions", otherwise the .exe part of the filename won't be shown.

When you say "nothing happens" do you literally mean *nothing* happens or that you get a blank screen?

I've never tried to install Uru:CC on Win 8 (I kind of avoided Win 8 altogether), but I'd warn that if you're planning on installing the older Myst games from the original CD/DVDs then you will encounter some issues with those as a lot of the support they needed from Windows (and third party tools) is no longer present.

I'll try that. Yes, nothing happens. I click on play and it closes. I had the opportunity to upgrade to win 10 when it was free, but my kid didn't want it, now I regret it since I can no longer get the free upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Hevy.
Can you please, do a right clic on the shortcut that runs the game, clic on "Properties", select the "Compatibility" tab, and tell me what are the options that are available there, please (because I don't know them for Windows 8 )?

The first things you should try are:
- Check the "Run this program as compatibility mode" case,
- select the "Windows XP (Service Pack 3) option,
- check the "Run this program as administrator" case.

Next, run the shortcut, select the "graphic" tab, uncheck the "full screen anti-aliasing" case, and try to play.

If it don't works, I wait the list of the other options that are available in "compatibility" tab of the shortcut properties, for Windows 8, to give you other steps.

P.S.: Have you uninstalled "Ageia"? Have you installed "Nvidia PhysX"? Have you installed "Nvidia PhysX Legacy"?

*Cloud: You can double-clic on a file to open it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 pm 

TCB The Scar wrote:
Hi Hevy.
Can you please, do a right clic on the shortcut that runs the game, clic on "Properties", select the "Compatibility" tab, and tell me what are the options that are available there, please (because I don't know them for Windows 8 )?

The first things you should try are:
- Check the "Run this program as compatibility mode" case,
- select the "Windows XP (Service Pack 3) option,
- check the "Run this program as administrator" case.

Next, run the shortcut, select the "graphic" tab, uncheck the "full screen anti-aliasing" case, and try to play.

If it don't works, I wait the list of the other options that are available in "compatibility" tab of the shortcut properties, for Windows 8, to give you other steps.

P.S.: Have you uninstalled "Ageia"? Have you installed "Nvidia PhysX"? Have you installed "Nvidia PhysX Legacy"?

I've tried those steps before, and I have now installed all the above. The options for compatibility is Win 95, Win 98/Win Me, Win Vista, and SP 1 &2, Win 7, Win XP 2, Win XP 3. I've tried them all. At this point I don't think it will work. Than you to all who have made suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:15 pm 

How to Show File Extensions in Windows 8.
Tutorial:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/show-file-extensions

P.S. Edit:
a) "show hidden files,folderd,and drive" means (to put a "dot" in the box)
b) to "off" extension===> in this other case mean "remove the the box checked mark"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

HEVY wrote:
I've tried those steps before, and I have now installed all the above. The options for compatibility is Win 95, Win 98/Win Me, Win Vista, and SP 1 &2, Win 7, Win XP 2, Win XP 3. I've tried them all. At this point I don't think it will work. Than you to all who have made suggestions.

Sorry, I was spoken about all the options in the compatibility tab, not only the "compatibility mode list"...
There's no other options like "less color mode", or "run with a 640 x 480 screen resolution" or "replace something_in_english PPP" or "disable full screen optimizations" etc?

PS: if you don't find any "Explorer.exe" in the game folder, maybe your antivirus deleted it...
Have you checked in your antivirus program that the game's "Explorer.exe" was allowed to run?

*Cloud: You can double-clic on a file to open it.